[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the Old Testament have laws for divorce but not for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x198
Why does the Old Testament have laws for divorce but not for marriage?

I tried asking my pastor, but all he said was

>God, in His mercy, creates the cure before the disease

Which just confused me more. Help pls
>>
>>988111
Marriage traditions were already established in Eden, it was already hammered out, divorce was still a messy process for us then, so God had to clear it up, that or it was an issue then so he decided to create clear cut laws,
>>
>>988111
Jesus addressed this when He spoke of divorce.

Matthew 19
“Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

That's marriage.

Leave, then cleave.
>>
>>988172
Thanks for explaining it better but OP was talking about OT
>>
>>988111

To prevent faggots from marrying,
>>
>>988188
Jesus was referencing the OT, Genesis 2:24. Do you think he just made up shit as he went along?
>>
>>988204
no, of course not, but he was talking about Leviticus
>>
>>988213
OP was
>>
>>988204
Jesus made up quite a lot of shit tbqh senpai
>>
>>988111
Because these laws served to arbitrate disputes within a community, whereas marriage tends to be an agreement that doesn't require arbitration by a recognized, impartial authority figure.
>>
>>988188
Yeah, sorry, the "Have you not read" refers to the OT.
>>
>>988240
Kind of what He does.
>>
>>988111
Your pastor is 10/10
>>
>>988111
Because it was born out of an backwards tribe in the bronze age.
>>
File: anb.jpg (54 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
anb.jpg
54 KB, 600x480
>>988354
you got him
>>
>>988111
Because marriage is age-old and has been established way before those laws were even created.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.