[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a bad or malicious person be considered wise? Is wisdom linked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: philosophy2carosel.jpg (276 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
philosophy2carosel.jpg
276 KB, 1280x640
Can a bad or malicious person be considered wise?
Is wisdom linked to good morals?
>>
>>987675
You're asking that because of Plato's Republic aren't you? That nigga is wrong, senpai.
>>
>>987691
It's an argument I had with someone where they say that wisdom it's a trait of a good person but I believe there has been people who are considered wise yet acted in a "bad" way.
Like leaders and what not.
>>
>>987818
Leaders are not necessarily considered wise.
Wisdom is also not strictly defined
>>
What you're asking is: Is Wisdom a virtue that can be bad by itself, or is virtue the possession of all virtues
>>
>>987675
Wisdom is more of an experience type of thing that's why you hear either your grandparents or some person through troubles that have learned from their past and I guess on the question of good or bad it's up to those of how they use their"wisdom" or knowledge
>>
File: 1393818273887.gif (11 KB, 502x332) Image search: [Google]
1393818273887.gif
11 KB, 502x332
>>987860
Wait a minute
How can wisdom be bad or good?

What is wisdom
>>
Well, I don't think that the two are even comparable. Wisdom is gained through experience while morals are deducted from logic. The wise way of acting is not necessarily the moral way if acting.
They are seperate entities with seperate purposes.

If you want to stick to Plato's concept of 'exellence', you should keep in mind that it (when applied to people) is a way of determining what or who a 'good person' is. Since a wise man is not necessarily a good man, you should rephrase your question:
Is wisdom something that a good person must possess?
Again, by Plato's standards of exellence, the answer to that question is probably yes. This determination is still seperate from morality though. Morality is also part of exellence. This does not mean that wisdom is based on morality, though.
>>
I have always understood the difference between intellect and wisdom to be the difference between knowing how to meet an end and knowing whether or not an end is worth meeting.
>>
>>987675
no they're 2 different things. one can be intelligent, smart and wise while living immorally
>>
>>987675
Have you ever met a person who describes themselves as evil or bad?
>>
>>989485
Good question actually. I wonder why that is; do bad people just lack the self awareness? Seems unlikely.
>>
>>989549
Is this a serious question?
>>
>>989549
I don't fucking know and I'm not gonna pretend
All I know is that people generally describe as evil or bad rarely see themselves as such
Even like the really fucked up ones
>>
>>987675
>Can a bad or malicious person be considered wise?

No.

>Is wisdom linked to good morals?

Yes.
>>
>>989557
Yes?
>>
Evil people are wiser than most.
>>
>>989563
See this >>989590 is how evil people tend to think
>>
Wisedom is like physical prowess, usable for good, honest work or ripping apart babies.
>>
>>987675
The children of the devil are wiser in their ways than the children of light.

Pretty sure that makes your answer a "yes" and a "no".
>>
File: 6.jpg (32 KB, 565x236) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
32 KB, 565x236
>>989582
Why the fuck would anyone consider themselves an evil person? In their point of the view, they think they're doing good.
>>
Bad or malicious are all matters of perspective and so is good and benevolent.
Nothing can be pin-pointed as black and white. "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"
Prophet Muhammad is perfect example of this.
He could be characterized as brutal,opressive but also in some instances wise.
>>
>>989563
Yup. Everyone judges themselves in comparison to people worse than they are.
>>
>>989600
He's kind of right.
>>
>>989600

But its ture. Evil people get the most by virtue of the fact they lie and oppress "good people". Bieng "good" means nothing more than that you obey superiors, and, more often than not, your superiors are evil.
>>
like everything in life there several sides 2 one simple thing.

Wisdom for me means being well versed and to have acquired a certain amount of knowledge in fields inside and outside the real of good and evil. Wisdom in itself has no morals it's understanding things just the way they are and based on these facts one can make wise choices.
Wisdom can empower you to better predict the outcome of situations. e.g. a experienced street scammer has acquired their wisdom that drunk tourists are easy pray. They can predict based on their knowledge what type of people are the easiest targets and which are better left alone.
So we see knowledge/wisdom is not bound to good morals.
>>
>>989618
Again this is how the evil think

They view good actions as weak and evil actions as strong
Very common mindset desu
>>
>>987675
First of all can a person actually be malicious or bad is it just a case of you considering them bad or malicious?
>>
>>989618
>Evil people get the most by virtue of the fact they lie and oppress "good people". Bieng "good" means nothing more than that you obey superiors, and, more often than not, your superiors are evil.

Literally master/slave morality.
>>
>>989606
Surely hitmen, armed robbers and cartel bosses can't think of themselves as good.
>>
>>989840
Good men in bad position.
>>
>>989840
I don't think they would say they are "evil" either. They're just doing business.
>>
>>989666
/thread

Good, wise, and bad are subjective.

Thanks Beelzebub.
>>
>>987675

>it is stupid to be evil

take this basic bitch shit out of here pham
>>
>>990115
wise is not really subjective
>>
>>990271
Is it? So wisdom is objective? How do we measure wisdom then?
>>
>>990278
Probably by how much someone keeps fucking up in his life
>>
Wisdom is just considered experience. There is no moral aspect to it.
>>
>>989485
I do. I lie, cheat, and steal. I like to hurt people I don't like. I take pleasure in revenge. Given the opportunity I would probably murder someone.
>>989973
>>989606
I'm fully aware that many of the things I do are unjustifiable. There are limits to what would do and I believe some things are "right" and others are "wrong". I accept that in the grand scheme of things I'm a "bad guy" because I do bad things.
>>
>>990121
who are you quoting
>>
Here's one for ya

I would consider it wisdom to avoid single mothers (barring widows) at all cost.
I can tell you that plenty of people would consider me a selfish cunt for it.
>>
>>987675
A bad or malicious person cannot be wise. A person who has the capability to be bad or malicious may have the capability to be wise, and vice-versa. If you are being bad or malicious you are not being wise in the classical sense.
>>
>>987675
Wisdom is a fringe term for intelligence.
Badness is subjective.
>>
>bad is subjective not relative
>wisdom is being smart not wise
WEW LADDEH
>>
>>987675
>Wisdom is a fringe term for intelligence.
No
>>
>>992156
meant for >>991735
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.