[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do the Amish reconcile their belief that God intended for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: amish1.jpg (31 KB, 592x399) Image search: [Google]
amish1.jpg
31 KB, 592x399
How do the Amish reconcile their belief that God intended for people to live simple lives when God clearly wants us to use electricity. Otherwise,

>he wouldn't have put all the oil under the ground and made it so simple to get it out
>he wouldn't have set up a swanky perpetually-burning nuclear furnace 93 million miles away that supplies a whole fucking kilowatt hour per square meter per hour

someone needs to wake up the Amish
if you know any Amish people, rewrite this post on a sheet of paper and mail it to those poor bastards
>>
>>987572
Amish are primitivists, and primitivists are universally known for being dumb.
>>
>>987572
Devil put the oil there. Or possible god as a test. Read your bible.
>>
>>987572
>God set up earth with oil and a furnace so that millions of years later, humans could use it through out some of our timescale, of which is just a sliver on the monumental timescale of Earth.
God seems very concerned with humanity for some reason.
>>
>>987572
Voltaire posters have gone too far. Candide is not a guide to theology.
>>
Not even Amish but that literally could not make less sense from a Christian viewpoint

>if God didn't want us to steal there wouldn't be so many valuable things
>if God didn't want us to cheat on our wives then women wouldn't have vaginas
>if God didn't want us to worship the devil then he wouldn't be down there offering us nice things

Fuck I'm not even Christian but how do you not know that like 50% of everything written about this religious is about abstaining from easy nice things in favor of a hard devout life.
>>
>>987589
Just the Jews. Everyone else is a trial for them to pass.
>>
Got a buddy who lives up near Amish country. Apparently, the whole "no technology" thing is more viewed as asceticism now. Excess technology is seen as a path leading to decadence and a distraction, allowing minds and hands to remain idle which will then be filled by less virtuous thoughts and actions.

This is also how the reconcile using power tools and running a generator so they can preform their craft with some level of proficiency. Some even sell their goods on the internet since local markets can no longer support them. Only the bare minimum of what they need, though every once in a while you can see a bunch of Amish load up in the back of an old chevy pickup and ride into town with it.

I'm more disappointed with Rumspringa though, which is when the children of Amish communities are allowed out into the world to see everywhere else outside of their little communities. Culture shock and the threat of being socially cut off from one's family limits the amount of young Amish who might reconsider the relationship between technology and vices along with isolation vs interconnection of communities. Essentially, family or modernity is chosen between, and I'm sure there's a number of highly talented and disciplined Amish youths who don't realize their potential because of it.
>>
>>987580
>living your life on a moral basis is dumb
>>
>>987670
It is though.
>>
>>987648
>Rumspringa
Yep, it's pretty sad. They're born into a bizarro world community and then they're given a choice between leaving their homes, family, and everything they know or making furniture for the rest of their life.
>>
>>987572
God wants you to do things right while giving you the choice to do the wrong thing I actually find it weird that people still don't get that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.