[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Agnosticism: Let's nip this in the bud
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: quote.jpg (57 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
quote.jpg
57 KB, 850x400
Agnosticism is:

The stance that the truth values (whether they are true or false) of the claims regarding the existence of a deity or deities cannnot be known. "I don't think anyone will ever know for sure whether God exists."

or:

The stance that the truth values of claims regarding the existence of a deity or deities are presently unknown. "I don't think anyone knows for sure right now, but in the future we might."

or:

The stance of not claiming to know the truth values of claims regarding a deity or deities. "I don't claim that God definitely exists or that God definitely doesn't exist."

or:

The stance of uncertainty on whether to believe or disbelieve in a deity or deities. "I don't know whether to believe or disbelieve." and/or "I think God existing is equally as likely as God not existing."

Which do you think is the most correct definition? In that case, what do you think the others should be called? (I personally go by number three.)

Strawpoll for good measure:
http://strawpoll.me/7378435
>>
>>987474
all of the above
>>
>>987476
If I flipped a coin, and I didn't show you the result, do you honestly think that claiming no one will ever know is the same thing as claiming you don't know?
>>
>>987483
in some situations yes

it depends how you look at things and the context.
>>
>>987484
Can you give examples of the situations then?
>>
The first is absurdism, the other 3 are practically the same
>>
>>990493
>the other 3 are practically the same
they aren't
>>
>>990659
Suck my cock you piece of shit.
>>
>>990663
Don't pretend to be me.
>>
>>987474
Agnosticism isn't a belief, it is a denoter of the strength of your belief
agnostic - I am not certain my belief is right.
that is all it means.
>>
File: 1404688453615.png (113 KB, 574x511) Image search: [Google]
1404688453615.png
113 KB, 574x511
Nobody can be actually be agnostic either you believe or don't believe.

And i would even say it's extremely rare to be an Atheist, as it's difficult for humans to not believe in a higher power of some kind.
>>
>>993431
You can be agnostic, it just isn't what people think it is.
You are right in a way though, atheist/theist is by definition a dichotomy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.