[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the farthest the Roman soldiers got to? I mean as campaigns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: EmpireMap1.jpg (716 KB, 1656x1296) Image search: [Google]
EmpireMap1.jpg
716 KB, 1656x1296
What was the farthest the Roman soldiers got to? I mean as campaigns and battles, not as actually conquering provinces (which is pic related).
>>
China 'apparently'. Murmurings of a Legion that got lost and wandered till they settled somewhere in modern China. Probably nonsense.
>>
Roman traders frequently travelled the silk road to China, which they called Serica (land of Silk), they also traded with Ethiopia often through the nile river.

the military only got hard stopped in a handful of places, Persia, Western Germany/Rhine River Valley, and Scotland. everything else was the Roman Army expanding until they reached a natural barrier such as the Danube, the Sahara desert, etc.
>>
>>1168432
The timing for the Chinese encountering Roman soldier fits with the loss of Valerian's entire army of 70,000 Roman soldiers being captured by Shapur the Great. It also marked the point where the Persians renewed trade relations with their Sino counterparts that the Parthians started centuries before.

>>1168448
I thought the main reason for war with the Persians and Parthians was because they dominated the Silk Road trade routes to Eastern Asia and India, and imposed heavier taxes on Roman goods and other tariffs, and every time the Romans attempted to circumvent or go around this, the Iranians blocked them.
>>
>>1168457
>The timing for the Chinese encountering Roman soldier fits with the loss of Valerian's entire army of 70,000 Roman soldiers being captured by Shapur the Great.

But Shapur put them all to work to build him fancy cities, bridges and rock reliefs in western Iran.

>I thought the main reason for war with the Persians and Parthians was because they dominated the Silk Road trade routes to Eastern Asia and India, and imposed heavier taxes on Roman goods and other tariffs, and every time the Romans attempted to circumvent or go around this, the Iranians blocked them.

That's true, the other anon is full of shit with his "romans frequently travelled to China". Roman products did, and anecdotically maybe someone from the roman empire did, but it wasn't normal at all for Roman traders to reach China. India is another issue.
>>
>>1168470
>the other anon is full of shit

except no, while more Romans did make it to India, there were stops in China by Roman travelers.

Source:

https://books.google.com/books?id=nTEdCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA229&dq=The+Silk+Trade+between+China+and+the+Roman+Empire+at+Its+Height&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjltZOZv-nMAhWLmR4KHRHPDQwQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
Trajan did nothing wrong
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.