[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alan Watts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: z0auawQq.jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
z0auawQq.jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
What does /his/ think of Alan Watts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7P-Sgcrk

I've always enjoyed listening/reading him. He's got a bit of a reddit-tier philosophy-bro thing going on, but part of his appeal is that he didn't toe the fedora line.

>This way of looking at the world - in a sort of passive move - permeates our general feeling about life. As Westerners, we are accustomed to looking at human existence as a precarious event occurring within a cosmos that, on the whole, is completely unsympathetic and alien to our existence. We have been reared within an early twentieth-century form of common sense, based on the philosophy of the science of the nineteenth century, which rejected Christianity and Judaism. Therefore, we tend to regard ourselves as biological accidents in a stupid and mechanical universe that has no finer feelings and that is nothing more than a vast, pointless, gyration of radioactive rocks and gas.
>>
>Buddhism is not a religion

DROPPED
>>
>>1151763

>Alternatively - if we have a more traditional outlook - we see ourselves as children of God and, therefore, under God's authority. We believe that there is a big boss on top of the universe who has allowed us, at his pleasure, to have the disgusting effrontery to exist. So we'd better mind our Ps and Qs, because that boss is always ready to punish us, with the attitude of "this is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you."

>When we adopt ether of these worldviews - the scientific or traditional - then we are defining the world as something to which we do not really belong. We are not really part of it.

>>1151776

Can say that of all eastern religions.
>>
I think he is a very wise man but take things he says with a grain of salt, don't just accept them as fact. He is more of an entertainer than a philosopher.

>>1151776
You could certainly argue that about any Eastern religion since they are functionally so different than western religions
>>
>>1151763
i like him a lot. one of my favorite philosophers just cause he knows how to give a great presentation
>>
Alcoholic crackpot but he was entertaining. Did not present most of the philosophy he discussed truthfully.
>>
>>1151763
>He's got a bit of a reddit-tier philosophy-bro thing going on, but part of his appeal is that he didn't toe the fedora line.

Jesus. I hope you don't speak like this in real life. What a trite, meaningless sentence.
>>
File: 1433558750894.jpg (23 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1433558750894.jpg
23 KB, 460x345
>>1152916
Translation. Alan Watts resembles contemporary internet liberals he doesn't care for, but at the same time he is glad that Alan Watts doesn't cross his personal boundary with regards to secular ideology.

It's not a meaningless sentence, even if you don't care for his vernacular or his ideas.
>>
>>1151763
He's awesome
>>
File: Freedom From the Known.jpg (34 KB, 328x499) Image search: [Google]
Freedom From the Known.jpg
34 KB, 328x499
>>1151763
I dig him.
But I'd rather listen to Jiddu Krishnamurti
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.