[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Selfish Reasons for not being Cruel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: g-larson-cow-philosophy.jpg (94 KB, 400x561) Image search: [Google]
g-larson-cow-philosophy.jpg
94 KB, 400x561
Does such a thing exist?
There exists within a person the choice of whether to make others miserable or to make them happy.

If a person does not enjoy making someone else miserable, why is that? Is it simply because other people are more fun to be around when they're happy? Surely other personal reasons must exist?

And they must be entirely selfish reasons. Things like empathy and the benefit of society or some other greater purpose don't count.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 594x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 594x395
bumping for interest
>>
>>1142414
Altruism is some innate trait humans and other animals evolved (specifically those who survive in kin groups) to better survive.
"If I suck the alphas cock, maybe he will give me some of the deer anus hes eating"
or
"If I treat those lower than me with some respect and even generosity, maybe they will do things for me when I'm in need.
As to why most people dont like seeing torture or cruelty, that just has to do with out ability to empathize and "put ourselves in someone elses shoes" so to speak.
I dont really enjoy watching guys get their dicks chopped off because I have an idea of how fucking unpleasant that would be.
>>
>>1142414
You're joking right? "Altruism is good for society" is the literal answer, as in, if you treat other people like shit, they will likely treat YOU like shit. You'll be ostracized and hated. The only way your viewpoint makes sense if there was a world without consequences, which there isn't you fucking dubmfuck jesus christ.
>>
>>1142414
>empathy doesn't count

Why wouldn't the correct answer to your question count? Empathy isn't magical selflessness juice, it serves a biological function (as stated by the poster above), it causes involuntary discomfort seeing someone else suffer and involuntary pleasure seeing them do well, and not wanting to experience even virtual discomfort for almost always no material gain whatsoever is perfectly selfish.
>>
>>1142414

What about fear, then?

I can't argue this point, but the fear of being isolated by society plays a big role in a lot of things. Law enforcement, for example.
>>
>>1142414

Pretty much "If help them now, maybe they'll help me later when I need it"
>>
>>1142414
>Things like empathy... don't count.

Unfortunately for you they do, if you are an empathetic person being cruel will harm your self interest
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.