[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going Medieval
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4
Post the most brutal shit you've ever heard happening in the middle ages, I want to feel nauseous after looking over this thread.
I'll start
>Basil the Bulgar slayer: Emperor of Byzantine Empire 958-1025
>At war with Bulgarians
>Almost killed by Bulgar ambush
>Bide time
>Wage war on bulgars years later
>Said to have captured 15,000 Bulgar prisoners
>And blinded 99 out of 100 of them, leaving 1 out of 100 with 1 eye to guide the rest home
>Upon seeing this procession, the Bulgar King Samuel collapsed and died from a stroke
>Ended Bulgar resistance for the next 300 years
>>
File: tomas-de-torquemada.jpg (32 KB, 728x382) Image search: [Google]
tomas-de-torquemada.jpg
32 KB, 728x382
The Roman Inquisition was installed to battle heresy. The Spanish Inquisition was a whole new level. It adjudicated heresy, bigamy, sodomy, crypto-Jews, crypto-Muslims, and "Erasmists" (the word they gave to anything resembling Protestantism, even reformist Catholics). It maintained the caste system of the Spanish Empire: "Pure bloods" on top, the converted "impure" below. It socially engineered the fear of non-conformity into multi cultural people.

Torquemada ran the show. The civil authorities merely carried out the wishes of the church. The church had the rule that they wern't allowed to shed blood so the civil authorities carried out the sentences delivered by trials held by the church.

Being a good Christian,Torquemada said that no blood must be shed;however,he conceded that people did often die under torture. If that happened,the inquisitor must immediately seek absolution from a fellow priest. Torquemada gave all his priests the power to absolve one another of murder.
>>
studying Frankish nobility they would basically gather small armies and go kill each other and burn down one another's estates over the most trivial states. The relations between nobles was like soap opera, and nobles were really the only people that mattered.
The states were really only centralized in that when the monarch was strong, nobles pretty much expressed deference to them and were loyal to them, but otherwise it was every noble for themselves. The internal state of affairs were nearly anarchic.
>>
File: 1447033995858.png (679 KB, 1132x778) Image search: [Google]
1447033995858.png
679 KB, 1132x778
>>
File: pike_drill.jpg (106 KB, 594x487) Image search: [Google]
pike_drill.jpg
106 KB, 594x487
>>1138685
That Vietnam thing hit me hard, never though about it that way. Anyone recommend the book that is originally from?
>>
>>1138518
>2000-5000 executions in +300 years
>evil

Don't you have an old lady to burn as a witch proddy?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.