[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French-American history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 439_image.gif (11 KB, 244x190) Image search: [Google]
439_image.gif
11 KB, 244x190
The French settlers in America played a big role, founded many cities and states, but it feels like they're somehow forgotten by now. Many white Americans boast about their German, British, Irish or Polish heritage, but where are the French-Americans?

Is there any good literature about the works of French settlers in the USA? What about the Cajuns? Do they have a distinct culture or is their population size too small to be relevant?
>>
>>986938
Because the French got btfo by the English. And this defeat was added to the long and growing list of pathetic French defeats.

Why would anyone be proud to be or celebrate these losers?
>>
>>986938
>any white Americans boast about their German, British, Irish or Polish heritage, but where are the French-Americans?
In Canada
>>
I've got some French in me
It's the worst part of my heritage
>>
>what is Louisiana
>>
>>986991
>The French settlers in America played a big role, founded many cities and states
>founded states
Hmm, I'm not sure. What is Louisiana? Is it a state founded by the French? Hmmm please tell me.
>>
>>986946
Pretty sure the French sold their lands to the US some decades after they both raped the pathetic Brits together, thus allowing the US to be independent
You know, Louisiana Purchase...etc
>>
>>986991
He's talking about historical Louisiana, which comprises many current states
>>
>>986938
France owned about 1/3 of the current US territories, but there were very few settlers there

Also, the main reason there are a lot of Polish, Irish and German heritage in the US, is because these countries were massive shitholes and had their people migrate en masse to the US in the late 19th century/Early 20th century
It wasnt the case for France
>>
>>987166
Hell anything north of Louisiana proper was settled by Nordic, German and polish farmers. The French seemed to mostly do fur trapping and trading innawoods instead of settling.
>>
>>987379
Germans and Poles arrived the US in the early 20th century
The Louisiana territory was mostly unsettled when the French owned it (aside from some military forts)
>>
File: 2-beret.jpg (115 KB, 315x389) Image search: [Google]
2-beret.jpg
115 KB, 315x389
Michigan is lousy with French Jesuit influences. From St Ignace to the Pere Marquette River.

Detroit's East side is basically all French names for streets and roads.
>>
>>987420
I'd let her butter my baguette
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.