[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Priests who can marry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 640x640
I was born to a Catholic family. When I was younger I wanted to be a priest. When I got older, I became euphoric with atheistic enlightenment and degenerate drug usage in order to get laid. Nevertheless, I majored in philosophy in college in order to search for truth. Through my studies, I have been led back to religion time and time again. I feel called to a spiritual life, such as a priest or a monk -- but I also want to find a girlfriend...

Is there any religion that allows one to become a priest and get married as well?
>>
Protestant and Orthodox Churches do.
The Anglican Catholic Church does as well.

IN Buddhism I think Monks can marry other monks, just that sex is forbidden.
>>
>>986610
Hi! This is G. The answer to your question is yes, it's called Orthodoxy.
>>
>>986610
I don't find any Biblical evidence to prohibit marriage for them,and in light of the catholic churches pedophilia,it should be encouraged.
>>
>>986668
Though the problem isn't really that pedophilia is more frequent which it isn't, it is that the Church covered it up.
>>
File: Capt_Sobel.jpg (39 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
Capt_Sobel.jpg
39 KB, 240x260
>>986610
>When I was younger I wanted to be a priest.
>I majored in philosophy in college
>in order to search for truth.
>I have been led back to religion time and time again.
>I feel called to a spiritual life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3zAdXM4Tk
>>
Become muslim, marry four women/girls.
>>
>>986668
Pedophilia in the Church is a problem of thinking "eh, God will help him" and ignoring that this is putting real people in real danger. People don't start fucking children because they can't get laid.

St Paul strongly adviced against marriage, and a priest should act as Christian as one can be. That means dedicating one's life to God and God only.
>>
>>986770
Paul was a fallible man, his opinion does not matter. The bible does not forbid marriage
>>
>>986770
> St Paul strongly adviced against marriage, and a priest should act as Christian as one can be.
It's funny no one thought about it until the 1000s when the Popes started to increase their control over Catholic Church. I guess early Christians didn't really knew how to be Christians.
>>
>>986820
Even before that there existed monastic orders and such though.
>Early Christians didn't know how to be Christians
Judging by the amount of non-Nicean Churches that existed back then I suppose that have to be the case, unless we won't go without a Nicean view on it.
>>
>>986610
Eastern Rite Catholics can marry and then become priests
>>
>>986822
Monk =/= priest, abstinence is raison d'etre for the former and completely unnecessary for the latter, it has nothing to do with his ability to perform sacraments.
>Judging by the amount of non-Nicean Churches....
I was talking about (proto-)Catholics during the first 1000 years, who thought it's perfectly Ok for priests to marry, until Popes suddenly decided it's not.
>>
Islam allows four marriages so...
>>
>>986859
Only for kings and emperors. For everything at or below count it only allows one.
>>
>>986867
My grandfather had two wives at the same time
>btw I am a Muslim
>I live in Pakistan
>>
>>986610
There is no reason whatsoever why a catholic priest in a small parish shouldn't have a wife. Paul's advice mentioned earlier in the thread is to bishops, and he actually says they should have no more than one wife.
>>
>>986873
Did he alter the game files for that?
>>
>>986876
Apart from it being in the catechism that a priest should be celibate so he can devote the rest of his life to God wholly
>>
>>986876
>>986908
And his vows.
>>
>>986610
Eastern Rite Catholics.

I'm not kidding, look it up. Their in communion with Rome and everything.
>>
>>986610
>I majored in philosophy
stopped reading there
>>
>>987396
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I hear in the northern US a married man can become a priest. I know in all areas, a married man can also become a priest, but only if he sticks to his vow of celibacy -- no more sex after becoming a priest, though you can still live with your wife.

I remember watching it at a humorous retelling of Catholic tradition and dogma, and then actually asking a priest if it was true afterwards. Him and a couple others agreed it seemed to be fine, rules as written, though I haven't confirmed it from a bishop or otherwise though. Also, speaking of bishops, the local bishop has a lot of say in who can become a parish priest and all that, so it might be up to them.
>>
>>986610
Yeah. Christianity. Maybe you've heard of it.
>>
>>986908

Apart from it being in the catechism that a priest should be celibate so that his estate reverts to the church when he dies.

ftfy
>>
>>986610
>I majored in philosophy in college in order to search for truth
b8.jpg
>>
>>986610
Catholicism lets you become a deacon. You do the job of a priest, that is you can be a full time cleric, but you can't say mass, hear confession, or anoint the sick.
>>
Catholic priests having to remain celibate and single is recent invention.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.