[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today is the 104th anniversary of the Titanic hitting the ic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15
File: titanic_promo.jpg (27 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
titanic_promo.jpg
27 KB, 320x180
Today is the 104th anniversary of the Titanic hitting the iceberg.

The 'Titanic: Honor and Glory' team put together a real-time animation of the ship sinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8 (which people are already quibbling)

Any favorite Titanic books? Myths you hate? Best/worst film depictions? Let's talk Titanic
>>
>>985588

Ice bergs can't crash steel hulls

If only those fools had built it with 6001 hulls instead
>>
>quibble

I don't remember that anyone said the collapsible fell right on top of Harold Bride? He was washed off deck while holding onto it and he ended up underneath it for a bit but I have never heard it fell on him.
>>
also

>tfw Titanic Honor and Glory will never get finished because the team behind it refuses to change they way the market the game and won't take common sense advice on how to get properly funded
>>
File: 1454905545387.jpg (14 KB, 220x293) Image search: [Google]
1454905545387.jpg
14 KB, 220x293
>Archibald Gracie

He survived on the overturned lifeboats, and after the sinking spent months amassing recollections from survivors so he could publish a book. He was in poor health due to the effects of exposed in the cold water and died December of that same year. He was the man who wrote about a "mass of humanity" from third class that only made it onto the boat deck when all the lifeboats were gone, and the ship was already starting its ascent.

His last words, recorded by his family, were: "We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats."
>>
>>985588
Thanks for posting this animation OP, really interesting
>>
Any more news on that Titanic II being built?
>>
>>986173
I don't think so. I feel like some crazy billionaires and companies announce they're making a replica Titanic every few years, and nothing comes of it.
>>
The "first letter" written on the Titanic was recently revealed to the public. The letter was written by a German man named Paul Danby who was allowed to visit the ship with his Uncle, a passenger, before the ship set sail. The uncle got onto a lifeboat and survived.

During WWI, however, Paul was imprisoned due to his German heritage. He eventually moved to Holland, where he was living at the outbreak of WWII. He and his family were rounded up and sent to various camps. He, his wife, and his mother were sent to Sobibor and executed.
>>
>reading testimony from one of the surviving officers about why he waited to go back
>literally says he wanted to wait until people had "thinned out"

I know it's a logical decision, but damn to hear it said so plainly is brutal.
>>
>>985588
anglo hubris struck down by the Almighty
>>
>>986260
Well he did a shitty job then, the Olympic, the Titanic's sister ship built according to the exact same specifications, continued to sail for years after.
>>
File: Edward_J._Smith.jpg (124 KB, 744x995) Image search: [Google]
Edward_J._Smith.jpg
124 KB, 744x995
>What kind of ship do you want senpai?
>>
>one of the richest men on Earth
>traveling with pregnant wife
>ask if you can get into the boat with her because of her delicate health
>denied
>tossed into the freezing water as the ship is sinking, with countless other people screaming all around you in near darkness
>end up being covered in hot soot and ash from the falling funnel before being crushed to death

damn Jacob
>>
>>985588
>the final plunge after the caption
Just the video got to me with that. The real thing must have been horrifying.
>>
The translated Marconi messages from the BBC 'Titanic In Her Own Words' documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAA-o0up4s

eerie as fuck
>>
File: band.jpg (116 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
band.jpg
116 KB, 1600x900
>Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEfqj9pDAI
>>
>>986487
at least they found his violin
>>
>>986487
but what was their last song?
>>
reposting some posts from a dead /tv/ post

some recommendations for lesser known Titanic film/tv stuff.

Lone Survivor (Night Gallery): A Titanic survivor is picked up in a lifeboat by a ship--three years after the sinking.

Titanic's Ghosts (Secrets of the Dead): Documentary about modern attempts to identify some Titanic victims. (Though later research has debunked one of the episode's findings--namely the 'unknown child' identity, which the show identified as Eino Panula but later research determined was Sidney Leslie Goodwin. But still good to watch.

And this isn't film or television, but Titanic: the Musical, when done well, is excellent. Shame they aimed too high with the Broadway set which constantly failed and was one of the reasons the show didn't stay open longer.

I am very partial to the newly revised version which has re-orchestrated the music, made some cuts, and altered a few things here and there. Actually if you're in the area or can get there otherwise, go see the Thom Southerland production, which is the revised version, that will be playing at the Charing Cross Theatre in London from May 28th through August 6th. Most of the cast is held over from the original Southerland production in Southwerk and then Toronto, and they are fantastic. Trailer for that version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959WAijpwjE

And why not, a press reel of one of my favorite songs as it was staged on Broadway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUo63zebeeU
>>
>>987453

Duh. "Free Bird."
>>
>>985588
Dice hitler dubs.
>>
A Night to Remember (1958) will never be topped, namely because modern studios would be very reluctant to offer the necessary budget to any film that doesn't do what Cameron did with his Titanic film, and create a fictitious, over the top romantic subplot to appeal to mass audiences, instead of focusing on the ensemble of the people on the ship.
>>
>>987453
Either Nearer, My God, to Thee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BPONgX9Tw
or Songe d'Automne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g73kOrhAai4
>>
>>986205
Why do these things take so long to be revealed? Same with letter from Robert Scott or Edward Wilson. I know they have living relatives and all but it's not like they themselves ever met them.
>>
Also A Night to Remember is the best Titanic movie.
>>
>>987758
Probably the letter was found recently
>>
>>987561
>>987760
Better book, coming through. Lord is great.
>>
>>987758
A lot of items remain in private collections and family collections and just never end up seeing the light of day. Even if they are historically interesting or important. For example a few years ago a pair of Marie Antoinette's shoes turned up at auction, that no one knew about because they were passed around in rich people's private collections for ages. Same thing happens with photographers, paintings, all sorts of items.

As for this specific letter, it was bundled up with some of the family's other possessions and hidden in Amsterdam during the war. The older daughter kept these possessions in her attic for years... then she died in 1990 and the younger daughter went through them and found the letter. She's 95 now and she's the one putting it up for auction.
>>
>>987777
The Night Lives On is also excellent reading
>>
I wonder why relatively few people witnessed ship breaking in half
>>
File: 1460403248364.jpg (26 KB, 704x330) Image search: [Google]
1460403248364.jpg
26 KB, 704x330
>The fate of all straight white males on this ship is sealed. No one shall leave. Shoot every single disgusting privileged caucasian XY-chromosomed piece of shit that attempts to get on the lifeboats.
>>
>>987948
Going by the inquiries (British and American combined) 13 people said they believed the ship broke apart, 4 said they believed it sank intact, and 65 people either did not comment at all on that aspect or said they didn't know. 2 of the 4 who testified that it sank intact were White Star Line officers--and they had plenty of reason to avoid admitting that the ship broke apart.

There are more witness accounts in newspaper that say the ship sank intact, but again there's the question of authenticity--did the journalist press the witness to say it was intact, due to the fact that the White Star Line wanted to avoid any question of culpability on their part? (Just as both inquiries determined that third class passengers had as much a chance as other passengers to be saved, even though when you go through the witness accounts of that night, that is absolutely untrue. But White Star Line didn't want to be implicated in the mass deaths in steerage. And just as Bruce Ismay & co claimed that there was absolute calm during the loading of Collapsible D, even though there are more witness testimonies that indicate this could not be true.)

But outside of deliberately skewing things, there are a lot of reasons why people's testimony about what they saw, even something as significant as the ship breaking in half, can differ.

Only .02% of the people who were on the ship or had been dumped in the water survived. So almost all the people who may have been at a good vantage point to see or hear the ship breaking did not live. And even then, they may not have known what exactly was happening or what the noises were, due to the darkness and general confusion. Archibald Gracie, for example, would have been fighting for his life while the break-up occurred--so would he really have noticed at that time?

1/2
>>
>>988082
2/2

The people watching in the lifeboats had limited visibility (no moon, only stars).. Some people who testified about that night said they didn't actually see her sink, because they were too far away and it was too dark. The break-up happened suddenly and close to the waterline, so people who could see what was going on may not have realized what occurred, as it may have just looked like the ship dropped and righted itself, only to be pulled back up and finally sink.

And all of these recollections can be colored many things. They could be affected by other testimonies--people on the Carpathia could compare what they saw and it would be easy for someone's memory to change based on these discussions. They can be affected by people's psychological state at the time. Lawrence Beesley noted that he and others reported they felt they were having what we would today call an out of body experience, which can make it difficult to remember certain things or affect what you do remember.
>>
File: Titanic_breaks_in_half.jpg (88 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
Titanic_breaks_in_half.jpg
88 KB, 500x213
>>988082
>>988083
Nice analysis.
>>
>>988083
We found Erebus a couple years ago. I wonder if there are any other famous ships left to find.
>>
>>988232
http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-famous-shipwrecks-still-waiting-to-be-discovered

Oh. Can't believe they couldn't find an American battleship from WWII.
>>
File: titanicbelfast.jpg (10 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
titanicbelfast.jpg
10 KB, 300x200
>>985588
Titanic is a massive deal in Northern Ireland, our only claim to fame being that the most famous ship ever to sink was built here. There's a cool Titanic center though.
>>
>>988247
We'll they just recently found Musashi and the location of her sinking was always generally known, but the ocean is huge and it's hard to get to floor, and once you do get down there your vision is pretty shit.
>>
>>987777
This. Read it a couple years ago, was comprehensive.
>>
>>986145
This will always bother me. In Walter Lord's papers, there is a letter from a Titanic survivor who wrote to him and noted that Gracie told her a story of his survival that was very different from what he published. Lord, for some reason, never followed up with this woman. What was different? God damn.
>>
>>985702
They depict that in their indie film about Harold Bride, too. Granted I've only read his testimony from the inquiries and not any later published testimony, so maybe their assertion is coming from that instead of the inquiry testimony?
>>
>>988008
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>989076
>I went to the place I had seen the collapsible boat on the boat deck, and to my surprise I saw the boat and the men still trying to push it off. I guess there wasn't a sailor in the crowd. They couldn't do it. I went up to them and was just lending a hand when a large wave came awash of the deck. The big wave carried the boat off. I had hold of an oarlock and I went off with it. The next I knew I was in the boat. But that was not all. I was in the boat and the boat was upside down and I was under it. And I remember I realised I was wet through, and that whatever happened I must not breathe, for I was underwater. I knew I had to fight for it and I did. How I got out from under the boat I do not know, but I felt a breath of air at last...

So it seems like they're confusing "I got washed away while holding onto the oarlock and ended up underneath the boat which washed away with me" with "the boat literally landed on top of me"
>>
>>986285
>the Carpathia captain turned the Olympic away when she offered to take on survivors

I guess it WOULD be pretty upsetting to not only watch the largest ship in the world upend and disappear with thousands of screaming people aboard, but then watch an IDENTICAL ship just steam up alongside you the next day.
>>
>>987561
Check out "Saving the Titanic", it's similar in that it's about the crew trying to keep the boat floating and lights on as long as possible.
>>
>>990403
i've seen it, but great recommendation!

Can you imagine how much greater the loss of life would have been if they wouldn't have had the lights available while loading the lifeboats? Jesus.
>>
>>992359
I'll bump your thread because interest
>>
What is that theory about the sinking being an inside job?
>>
>>994440
Because insurance money. Also there is a theory that Titanic was really Olympic. Also untrue.
>>
File: tumblr_nhc6q2PtYt1souutio1_1280.jpg (247 KB, 1280x971) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhc6q2PtYt1souutio1_1280.jpg
247 KB, 1280x971
>>
Titanic as she sailed towards Southampton from Belfast.
>>
File: Titanic-in-Belfast-1912-014.jpg (1001 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Titanic-in-Belfast-1912-014.jpg
1001 KB, 2560x1536
>>
People hate the idea of building the copy of the Titanic but I think of it as an interesting project. Not really that insulting. At least no more insulting than any movie or book about it.
>>
File: lot0236-0.jpg (354 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
lot0236-0.jpg
354 KB, 2048x1536
Photo of Lifeboat 14 and D on their way to the Carpathia.

>>994676
I don't think building a replica is insulting on its own at all, but the potential for insult lies in the people that would book passages and then act like assholes, posing like Jack and Rose from the Cameron film, probably saying shit like ICEBERG RIGHT AHEAD constantly, etc.
>>
>>994737
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFWpx1Y-_k

It's inevitable. Unless there will be a very specific rule not to do this. Not because it would be insulting but because it would be insufferable.
>>
>>985588
Very interesting video, I do approve
>>
>>994888
I'm pretty sure most ordinary cruise ships implemented rules to prevent this very thing after the movie came out.
>>
>>994737
>see a Titanic play
>first act ends with them hitting the iceberg, staged in a very eerie way
>hush goes over the entire audience as the curtain lowers and the lights go up
>obnoxious teenager usher rushes in hawking snacks shouting ICE CREAM, RIGHT AHEAD!!!!!
>>
File: 1417414217245.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1417414217245.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>995505
>>
7 artifacts from the wreckage will be on display for the last time: a pair of delicate gloves, a man's shoe, a waiter's pad sheet, a declaration of US citizenship intent, and other paper and texile pieces at the Titanic Artifact Exhibition in Vegas. They will be there from now until July.

And if some reason you're in Branson: Wallace Hartley's violin, whose violin was found with his body, will be on display at the Titanic museum in Branson through May 30th. Then it will be on display at the Titanic museum in Pigeon Forge from June 7th through August 14th. Then it will return to its private owner in England where in all likelihood no one will ever see it again.
>>
>>995186
Yep
>>
>>988082
>Only .02% of the people who were on the ship or had been dumped in the water survived.
???
>>
>>999280
I meant on the ship when it broke up. So if approximately 1500 people were on the boat or already in the water at the time of the breakup, and only about 37-50 (numbers for the collapsible A and B, which hadn't been launched but were used in the water, aren't exact) of those on board or near when it split survived, only .02% to .04% of those 1500 witnesses lived.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.