[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Why is the French Revolution considered more influential/groundbreaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: americanrevolution.jpg (62 KB, 600x319) Image search: [Google]
americanrevolution.jpg
62 KB, 600x319
>Why is the French Revolution considered more influential/groundbreaking than the American Revolution?

Without the American Revolution it is doubtable there would have been a french revolution, and even if there was it would have been delayed by a great deal. While the French Revolution shattered the concept of a infallible Monarchy, it didnt really change the political world outside of france.
>>
File: 1457928173435.jpg (392 KB, 2502x3203) Image search: [Google]
1457928173435.jpg
392 KB, 2502x3203
>>985476
>it didnt really change the political world outside of france.
>>
File: keibaragu.jpg (18 KB, 292x328) Image search: [Google]
keibaragu.jpg
18 KB, 292x328
>>
>>985476

i-is this bait? am i being baited?
>>
>Why is the United Kingdom considered more influential/groundbreaking than the United States?

Without the British it is doubtable there would have been a United States, and even if there was it would have been pretty shit. While America becoming a superpower shattered the concept of the infallible Anglo, it didnt really change the political world outside of America.
>>
>>985485
Go ahead and name countries that became republics or stayed republics after nappy was defeated
>>
>>985543
How about the spread of the Napoleonic Code? Probably the single most important development in jurisprudence since the Magna Carta.
>>
>>985553
If we ignore the bill of rights, the constitution and the rights of man that Lafayette wrote with help from Thomas Jefferson.
>>
>>985573
All three I'll add are the basis of what the un consider human rights
>>
>>985543
Well, it's not like America was out spreading freedum in the 18th century either.
>>
>>985526
>Why are the Saxons considered more influential/groundbreaking than the United Kingdom
Without the Saxons it is doubtable there would have been a United Kingdom, and even if there was it would have been pretty shit.
>>
>>985553
See

>>985573
>>985583

>yuropons thinking the world revolves around them

Sorry but America has been the focal point since 1776
>>
>>985587
Yeah we didn't need to spread it. It spread by example and people looking at us
>>
>>985618
Mate, that's literally what happened with the French Revolution and the following waves of european nationalism.
>>
>>985631
Except all European countries including France had monarchies. Most of them because more reactionary.
>>
>>985618

Nobody was looking at you. At all. Metternich literally had a laughter attack when he heard of the Monroe Doctrine.

Also the French Revolution was not inspired in the 13 colonies at all but on the own french liberal/enlightened ideological thinking starting with the Illustration and combined with a severe financial crisis and social unrest because of it.
>>
>>985651
History sings a different tune
>>
>>985647
Nationalism didn't grow in the ruling class, it grew on the people and on the intellectuals.
>>
Its more correct to say that the two revolutions worked off of each other.
>>
>>985604
America wasnt relevant until 1918
>>
>>985651
I'm just gonna add that the metternich was ideologically opposed to the U.S. and anything he did or say is heavily biased
>>
>>985677
Factually false
>>
>>985476
>Without the American Revolution it is doubtable there would have been a french revolution
You bet it is
If the French monarchy hadnt bankrutpted itself by helping american incompetent to get their independence, it wouldnt have been in such a deplorable state at the end of the 18th century

>While the French Revolution shattered the concept of a infallible Monarchy, it didnt really change the political world outside of france.
You gotta be joking
The US Revolution was just a colony rebelling at the other side of the world
This shit had already happened thousands of times, and I doubt the average Joe in London (let alone any other european city) in 1783 was even aware it had happened
The French Revolution on the other hand was a real revolution (as opposed to independence war) in the most powerful and influential european country of the time
>>
>>985677
Try 1942
>>
>>985476
Revolutionary ideas spread through all Europe.
Multiple wars all across the continent to spread democracy and human rights.
In the most important country at the time.
>>
American tax revolt is irrelevant compared to the french revolution
>>
>>985573
>>985583
Most of that was directly based on the English Bill of Rights that came about after the glorious revolution.

Without which there wouldn't be the idea of the 'rights of an Englishman' which was pretty much what American individualism is based on.
>>
>>985543
Not necessary. All I need to point out is how Napoleon dismantled the HRE which allowed the Germans to actually centralize or the Louisiana purchase which was necessary for America to become a world power.
>>
>>985647
>Most of them became more reactionary.
Gee, I wonder why that may have been?
>>
>>985543
Some republics became monarchies, though. Not to mention spreading the idea of nationalism
>>985647
>all European countries including France had monarchies
>>
>>985677
>implying
Sure it wasn't considered a major military player until WW1 but the US was still a huge economic power throughout most of the 19th century.
>>
>>985543
After Napoleon was defeated, the Europe was reshaped completely by the Vienna congress. Borders changed, governments changed, but most importantly - the revolution(and by extension - Napoleon) have brought very specific line of thought that became a basis for romanticism and the revolution vs counter-revolution approach to politics which is best seen from the Austria-Prussia-Russia alliance which sole purpose was to stop revolutionary movements.
It was also the time when modern nationalism was born.

Last not least:
The sole fact that we're talking about leftists vs. rightists when discussing politics is because of how it looked like in French Parliament.
>>
>>985476
>>
>>985476
Amazing b8 OP here have my wife.
>>
>>986715
>If the French monarchy hadnt bankrutpted itself by helping american incompetent to get their independence, it wouldnt have been in such a deplorable state at the end of the 18th century
Did the French monarchy really spend that much money helping the Americans? I would've thought that palace at Versailles cost more than the entire war itself. Not to mention histories old friend the bread riot.
> I doubt the average Joe in London (let alone any other european city) in 1783 was even aware it had happened
I'd have to disagree, up until that point, no other major colony (that I'm aware of) had successfully declared independence from a major european power, let alone the British Empire. Also, the establishment of a true republic was (somewhat) revolutionary.
>The French Revolution on the other hand was a real revolution (as opposed to independence war) in the most powerful and influential European country of the time
Independence war? Who the fuck brought up war, we are talking about the revolutions, nitwit.
>>
american revolution was just another new world colony breaking off. based as fuck war though.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.