[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the anthropological explanation for the existence of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1371235179552.jpg (23 KB, 511x384) Image search: [Google]
1371235179552.jpg
23 KB, 511x384
What is the anthropological explanation for the existence of "honor"?
>>
File: orsonwelles.jpg (92 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
orsonwelles.jpg
92 KB, 500x715
>>1155422
Shakespeare has Falstaff say:

"Honor, who hath it?
He who died o' Wednesday."
>>
>>1155422

People in rural areas had to safeguard their reputations because people who didn't were seen as lacking confidence in their own good character. Gossip and rumors played a big impact on peoples' perceptions of each other in a part of the country where important folks (landlords, knights, planters, etc) didn't have big get-togethers often except for a few times a year at holidays. For lesser rural folk it was important because you wanted your neighbors to be trustworthy because you'd ask them to watch your shit for you when you went away and didn't want to worry about them stealing your livestock or other things.
>>
>>1155422
chicks dig honourable men
>>
>>1155422
Honour in the sense of honesty and trustworthiness is basically >>1155496

Honour in the sense of a perceived obligation to retaliate against apparent transgressions: people in pastoral cultures needed it to be known that if anyone fucked with them, they'd get fucked right back, to deter eg cattle-rustling and whatnot.
>>
File: 1427518865763.jpg (75 KB, 610x611) Image search: [Google]
1427518865763.jpg
75 KB, 610x611
>>1155422
Basically this image
>>
>>1155422
Among allies, to maintain cohesion and avoid backstabbing, kinda like the principle behind enforcing contracts.

Between enemies, essentially a "I don't kick you in the balls, you don't kick me in mine" agreement. If both sides possess a certain offensive capability and use it, neither gets further in the conflict and both are worse off.
>>
Spook
>>
Honor is a spook
>>
>>1155422
It's everyone's duty to make the own life worth to be remembered by others. Honor is one word describing that value
>>
>>1155446
Ahh the fresch champagne
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.