[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I'm spiritual but not religious".
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11
File: stop.png (52 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
52 KB, 299x299
>"I'm spiritual but not religious".
>>
>>984299
>I'm a Christcuck

confirmed for idiot
>>
you're literally quoting word for word a daniel tosh stand up bit.

Why would you post this on /his/?
>>
They just believe in magic without an organization to back it up.
>>
>>984307
M8 I've never watched anything from daniel Tosh. "I'm spiritual but not religious" is a common saying.
>>
>>984322
>is a common saying

No it isn't. Go outside and actually interact with people, instead of thinking 4chan/Tumblr/Reddit constitutes the majority of people.
>>
File: 1435707668627.jpg (60 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
1435707668627.jpg
60 KB, 600x380
>"I believe in God, but not an anthropomorphic God."
>>
>>984354
"One god, greatest among gods and humans,
like mortals neither in form nor in thought."
"But mortals think that the gods are born
and have the mortals' own clothes and voice and form.
>>
>>984354
>G-God isn't human, I swear!
>God isn't like those anthropomorphic g-gods!
>H-He.. just has thoughts, a mind, feelings, motivations, and a morality is all... and a gender...
>>
>>984340
It is. Or rather, it depends on where you live.
>>
File: Logic.png (104 KB, 669x134) Image search: [Google]
Logic.png
104 KB, 669x134
>Evolution can't be true because then species would have had to lost bodyparts and evolution means that you can't lose bodyparts
>>
>>984428
WHICH soil? There are many different types of soil throughout the world, and they all vary from each other, sometimes greatly.

So, your picture says that "the followin elements are found to be the same in the human body and in soul...". Well, give me from where the soil sample is.
>>
File: 1453144663947.png (221 KB, 674x804) Image search: [Google]
1453144663947.png
221 KB, 674x804
>I'm religious, but not spiritual
>>
>>984500
You just did that to answer the pic, right?
You don't think I believe in it?
>>
>>984340
Christ go fuck yourself. I've heard many dozens of people say that first hand, and countless more on the media.
>>
>>984377
Come to think of it, he holds many characteristics that we falsely attributed to ourselves for millenia. Hmmmm
>>
>>985144
It's almost as though we were deliberately created to be similar to God, or something.
>>
>>984299
But I am spiritual but not religious. Come at me.
>>
>>984354
>>984366
>>984377
>>985144
>>985174

Daily reminder that Yahweh is anthropomorphic and delights in the foreskin of children. Source: the bible.

A FORESKIN A DAY KEEPS THE YAHWEH AWAY

https://michaelsherlockauthor.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/the-sin-of-moses-a-foreskin-a-day-keeps-the-yahweh-away-2/
>>
>>985180

What do you actually mean by this?
>>
>>985174
Like, an image. Or something.
>>
>>985180
Define what you mean by spiritual. what bothers me so much about this is that i think of spiritual as a synonym of religious so I can't wrap my head around what the fuck you mean by it
>>
>>984299
You should be Shot simply on the basis that you posted that crappy meme
>>
>>985192
I believe in the soul, the afterlife and the existence of a supreme being, but I think no religion created by man has gotten it 100% right, but they all claim to have done so to the exclusion of others. Actually, a deeper study of religions show that they all have interesting and unique spiritual insights, but historical and scientific flaws, so I don't feel compelled to pick any particular one.
>>
>>985202
With a Capital S
>>
>>985201
Right. If you want to get technical, what I mean by spiritual is separated substances in the sense of Aristotle and Aquinas. But since not everyone is familiar with this terminology I sometimes will use the vulgar sense and mix both senses in the same phrase or paragraph, because that's how you communicate with other humans.
>>
>>985236
So, make one
>>
>>985236
Fucker that's the definition of religious
>>
>>985236
confirmed to be actually religious
>>
>>984340
Dude, it's super super common. Where do you live, 17th century Spain? You speak English, so you almost certainly are surrounded by people who use this to describe their spiritual life all the time, which you would know if you ever talked to them.
>>
>>985236
Just syncretic and lazy.
>>
Still better then fucking "agnostics".

inb4 "but I'm not sure" oh really you're not sure? You don't have absolute unquestionably perfect knowledge of the entire fucking universe for it's entire fucking history because you are not in fact god yourself is that the case? What a fucking newsflash, that is such an uncommon viewpoint for a sane human being to have, that completely justifies inventing an entirely new term for not believing in god.
>>
>>986970
You realize that you can be an agnostic theist too right? Agnostic is a descriptive term referring to a level of knowledge on something not some made up word for atheism. Though I do agree that Atheists that refer to themselves as just Agnostic are a bunch of asshats.
>>
>>986892
It usually means "not a member of or having an identity based in an organized religion but still into crystals and shit". That and it's hard to call certain spiritual practices religion as they are more experimental phenomenology than what religious people do and how they rationalize said experiences.
>>
>>987056
>You realize that you can be an agnostic theist too right?
Yeah it's just they don't seem to use that term, they're just willing to give their beleifs with the caveat that they're not 100% sure and just leave it at that, they don't feel it necessary to invent a whole new term for themselves. In my experience agnostic is a term used almost exclusively by atheists in denial, never once have I seen any of them express any kind of religiosity, it's always just an atheist with a superiority complex about how much smarter they are then the other atheists because they're (supposedly) deliberately indecisive.
>>
>>987093
Agnostic is a term to separate atheists from Atheists. It means you aren't "them".
>>
>>984340
It's really common, though
>>
>It's been 2000 years! I'm pretty sure we're past the point where Christianity's still considered a rip-off of Judaism!
>>
>>985180
Did your parents drop you a lot as a child?
>>
>>984340
It's common in some circles, enough that I've heard it used in colleges and other areas, mostly by younger people.

Essentially it's just saying I believe otherworldly things happen, but I don't ascribe to any single pattern of belief. In practice, it's usually by someone who hasn't given the subject a lot of thought to have a specific set of beliefs, someone who's beliefs change often, or someone who doesn't want to be associated with any specific institution.
>>
>>984299
>I believe
>>
>"The Arabs and Jews have been fighting each other for thousands of years there."
>>
>>985236

Yeah, as I thought, you're just religious.
>>
>>986892
Syncretic as opposed to what? Christianity?

Bwahaha! Judaism?

Bwahahahahaha!
>>
>>984299

Being spiritual means to believe in something beyond the material.
Being religious means you claim knowledge about these things.

Learn the difference you fucking dolt.
>>
>>985322
>>985325
>>986892
Simple-minded ones.
>>
>>985174
You're so close. So close.
>>
>>984500
Eden, in Iraq, near the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates. Ruddy or red clay.
>>
File: fedora in denial.jpg (82 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
fedora in denial.jpg
82 KB, 479x720
>rational spirituality
>>
not history
>>
>>989280
How about you suck my dick?
>>
this is the most obnoxious bullshit

my girlfriend's family is retarded as fuck when it comes to that
>"we're spiritual but not religious!"
>believe in god but not in any religion
>the new testament was made up by the white men to persecute the jews, who were black
>believe in ghosts and believe their grandmother's still in the house watching over them
>think the idea of heaven & hell is a made-up concept purely for the sake of manipulating people like sheep
>believe 99% of muslims are terrorists and don't want me to remain with their daughter because most of my family is muslim and i'm a christian so i might convert apparently

kill me
>>
File: laughing cossacks.jpg (71 KB, 928x672) Image search: [Google]
laughing cossacks.jpg
71 KB, 928x672
>>990097
>>
>>990097

All of that sounds mildly less retarded than actually being a Christian.
>>
>tfw can't find a girl who's a fangirl of the Pope and the Church and the Bible without her also being sterile and boring and closeminded
>>
>>990097
Sounds pretty okay actually.
>>
>>990097
Leave her
>>
>>984340
>No it isn't
But it fucking is?
>>
File: 18k1aesbnd0l8jpg.jpg (39 KB, 800x566) Image search: [Google]
18k1aesbnd0l8jpg.jpg
39 KB, 800x566
Valisystem is real
but isn't supernatural
>>
>>994434
>the Empire has ended
>>
>people not understanding the difference between internalized beliefs and collectivised worship

This board is a bunch of children
>>
>>990097
Any story on why you're a Christian and your family Muslim?
>>
>>989280
Wrong. Religious means you're part of a community that has a shared belief in something beyond the material.
>>
>>984299
>"I'm spiritual but not religious"
While it does attract a lot of asshats I don't see anything inherently wrong with this kind of thinking. It's not unreasonable that some people might want to practice their faith in a private, personal manner without the addition of an organisation's tenets and politics.
>>
File: cda.png (9 KB, 469x462) Image search: [Google]
cda.png
9 KB, 469x462
>>984377
Maybe it's not so much that God is anthropomorphic as that man is theomorphic ("made in the image of God")? Did I just blow your mind?
>>
>>989597
That earth do hold exactly the same minerals to the same rations as the Human body is supposed to?
>>
Spirituality is to believe in higher forces. Religion is to believe in outdated dogmas and faulty doctrines meant to bend the will of the people.

In the end, you can only experience the divine through your own lens.
>>
When religion is a self replicating mushroom cult, hell yeah.
>>
>>997561
No, because that's silly. Why among all animals are humans like God in particular? Why not sloths or jellyfish or scorpions or microbes?
>>
>caring about other people or even my own religiosity/religiosness
Why? Convince me why I should do this. Why should I ask other people about their religion opinions? Why should I ever even discuss this? What is the merit, the value, the use of doing such thing?

There are so much more rewarding and useful ways to spend my time, so why should I spend it on this?
>>
>>984354
Harold Bloom comes from a religion that teaches belief in God, but not an anthropomorphic God.
C
H
E
C
K
M 8
>>
>>984377
>God is an unknowable mystery!
>Here's a book about him, and if you don't believe its every word you're literally Hitler!
>>
>>997561
It's absurd either way. Human qualities just don't make sense for an omnipotent being outside of time.
>>
>>984340
>The majority of people are religious
Define religious, nobody goes to church anymore.
>>
>>984299
you can find spirituality in other stuff, like music
>>
>>998750
That's because church is passe, mosque is edgy and cool
>>
>>985236
Or in other words you're basically edging on Kabbalah and occult in general but just don't actually commit to studying them because you're lazy.
>>
>>994434
What in the fuck is that picture
>>
>>984299
No.
>>
File: 5428227903.jpg (20 KB, 229x196) Image search: [Google]
5428227903.jpg
20 KB, 229x196
>>984299
what's wrong with that statement?
it's like saying "i like football but i don't have a favorite team"
>>
>>999199
Literally fucking impossible. You don't understand football, or any sport for that matter
>>
>>999215
Not even them, I want to hear your rationale for this.
>>
Ayy lmao god doesn't real
>>
>>990097

>the new testament was made up by the white men to persecute the jews, who were black

WE
>>
>you have to fly the flag of some pre-established ideology/religion or else you're lazy, regardless of what you actually believe

Fuck I hate politics.
>>
File: B0rhRYiCUAAKGFb.png (123 KB, 540x260) Image search: [Google]
B0rhRYiCUAAKGFb.png
123 KB, 540x260
>>998977
Cyber woman with corn
>>
>>984340
Dude how are you this fucking autistic?
>>
>I believe in God, but I do not think he is Ahura Mazda
Stop.
>>
What if you perform magic for fun? Like you know it won't do anything but you find it fun seeing people react to curses. Also placebo as well. fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun
>>
File: 500px-Faravahar-Gold.svg.png (52 KB, 500x236) Image search: [Google]
500px-Faravahar-Gold.svg.png
52 KB, 500x236
>>1000531

>tfw I have no idea how to praise Ahura Mazda
>>
>>984340
Go outside, every batshit crazy that believes in sky wizards but cant commit to a mainstream religion will say this. Most of the time at least once a day
>>
>>1000548
Work a third of the day.
Rest a third of the day.
Admire the greatness of creation a third of the day.

Do that, and keep yourself and your home clean.
>>
>>998526
>Why? Convince me why I should do this.
Because politics are permeated thoroughly by religion in almost every region of the world. If you care about politics whatsoever, you should care about religion.
>>
>>987689
Or someone who's just really lazy and unwilling to actually commit to anything.
>>
>>1000544
I'm really not sure. I haven't been 12 years old for quite a few years now.
>>
>>994240
It's been 6 years, I'm not leaving her anytime soon, although her parents want me to
thanks trump

>>995323
Nothing special - the vast majority of my family on my mother's side (I don't know my father) is Muslim, but when my grandparents moved to France they decided to raise their children in the most secular way possible to avoid standing out too much, so my mother is an atheist and I was raised a fedorafag. My girlfriend was also an atheist until 1-2 years ago when she converted to Christianity after a personal experience, and although it made me pissed at first I took interest in it and here I am now, a serious believer in Christ who wants to convert.
I'm technically not a Christian yet but whatever.
>>
>>1000531
daily reminder that if you've ever masturbated you've done the one unforgivable sin and nothing will ever save you
>>
>>1001377
oh you chased the pussy, ok
>>
>>1000883
That, or simply wanting to bounce to different ideas when it's convenient. Someone who wants to take snippets from Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc, toss out whatever they don't like and keep what they do. Not the most alien line of thought, but certainly poor form since it quickly leads to hypocrisy.

My point is, without dogmatic beliefs, there can be no moral foundation of the spirit, since it entirely becomes the whim of the person in question.
>>
>>999215
>>999215
>Literally fucking impossible. You don't understand football, or any sport for that matter
Fuck you. It's possible.

I actually like football. Like playing football with my m8s. Its fun. It's nice. I'm out there in the field kicking a ball and tricking niggas.

But I don't have a favourite team?
Why?
Because watching sports is fucking boring for me. You're not part of the action. Where's the fun in that?

I will never get normies and sports fans.
>>
>>984299
What is Buddhism?
>>
>>1002236
For another viewpoint, I like watching American football (I can't really play it here, as it's not really that popular), but I can't really care too much about which team wins. I'll usually root for a team when watching it, but that's on a match-by-match basis and I don't really care to follow the football season.

For Association football, on the other hand, I do have a favorite team (several actually, but one above all) despite disliking the sport with a passion. I will sometimes suffer through a whole match just to root for my favorite team(s).
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.