[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
philosophy of mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1433764334519.jpg (42 KB, 800x459) Image search: [Google]
1433764334519.jpg
42 KB, 800x459
Why did philosophy of mind stagnate?

Despite all the progress in neuroscience, philosophy mind has made no progress towards explaining consciousness. The debate of dualism vs physicalism as well as the open question of the nature of qualia remain unresolved, and basically modern philosophers of mind are adding nothing new, but merely rephrase old arguments and thought experiments from several decades ago. No new insights are to be seen, only dogmatics who are unwilling to seek a compromise.

Is philosophy of mind a dead field? Or is there still a small chance that (by a rare coincidence) a new philosophical genius will revolutionize the field with an insightful idea never thought before?
>>
>>984115
>qualia
This word just sort of makes me nauseous whenever I see it now, even though I used to find it fascinating.
>>
>>984123
That sounds like an interesting experience, thank you for trying to share it with us.
>>
>>984123
i don't know that qualia, bro
>>
>>984115
>The debate of dualism vs physicalism as well as the open question of the nature of qualia remain unresolved
Radical materialism.

Neuroscientists like Damásio are all about philosophy of mind. He's written a lot about consciousness and the self.
>>
>>984115
dualism is a meme anon. no serious philosopher accepts it
>>
>>984666
>who is descartes
>>
Because only idiots and pseudointellectuals deny the material reality of conciousness.
>Is philosophy of mind a dead field?
Philosophy is a dead field, you cannot name a single recent contribution to mankind achieved by philosophy in fact you can name negative shit like bio-ethics slowing down avant garde medical research that is being usurped by the Chinese who are smart enough to ignore the feelings of philosophers.
>>
>>984716
Breaking news: Mind–body problem solved in a single post on weeb imageboard
>>
>>984739
Breaking news : mind-body problem only exists in the imagination of people who are not qualified to make biological/medical statements
>>
>>984761
>implying you need qualifications to talk about biology
It's not a real science.
>>
>>984115
>Why did philosophy of mind stagnate?

Most philosophers are too lazy to study neuroscience in depth.
>>
>>984761
Those are some hot opinions you got there
>>
>>984761
>>984761
You can't honestly think making "biological statements" requires qualification?
>>
>>984769
>>984782
>Humanities students think they understand how their body works
That's cute
>>
>>984681
A corpse.
>>
>>984772
bingo
>>
>>984805
What makes you think I'm a humanities student, you flaccid strawman?
>>
>>984812
Why wouldnt you be ? what other kind of idiot denies the material reality of conciousness? radicalized muslims/evangelists?
>>
>>984820
There is nothing wrong with being a muslim. Stop being islamophobic.
>>
I don't think it's dead. Recent work in philosophy of mind suggests that the objects we use, such as our phones, become in a sense versions of our brains which are extended in reality. Or, simply state: we're offloading some of the work our brains used to do to technological devices (cf. Chalmers 'the extended mind'; 'embodied cognition'; 'grounded cognition'). As far as resolving the hard problem of consciousness is concerned, that may well be a metaphysical question not capable of being answered, like why there is a universe vs. not. Though, of course, we can always say "it's adaptive" though I doubt that's satisfying to anyone serious.
>>
>>984666
property dualism is a pretty defensable position imo.
>>
>>985412
its still basically dualism and most of its major critiques can be applied
>>
>>984862
>Cellphones as extensions of our brains
People seriously prefer studying this instead of studying synapses and memory placement?
>>
>>985575
I think its more a pragmatic position than anything else. All things may be able to be reduced to lower levels, but it's useful to think of each level having unique properties.
>>
>>984826

No other modern religion produces quite such a prodigious percentage of fundies who go around beheading people and blowing shit up.

Something is very wrong at the heart of the teachings of Islam, or at the very least, the cultures which practice it.
>>
>>985716

>percentage
>prodigious

10 letters
>>
>>985726
Fuck not this, I thought I was done with that shit when I closed my Reddit tab
>>
>>985824

How could you ever hope to be done with it?

You're a fool.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.