[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Burgundy thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13
File: sicsemper.jpg (1 MB, 2292x1695) Image search: [Google]
sicsemper.jpg
1 MB, 2292x1695
Why did some mountain Jews destroy the most advanced and richest country of the time?
And How?
And did they just sit by and laugh while the plummeted Europe into a 500 year war nightmare?
>bonus points for feeding a Duket to the dogs
>>
>>983419
>last king of burgundy planning to fuck up france with england
>decides to attack the HRE
>gets boned
>goes to meet english king, gets assmad when king makes a deal with french because the burgundy shitter didn't bring a real army
>cryburgs gonna cry
>end

shit kingdom the swiss did everyone a favour
>>
>>983450
>king of burgundy
>>
>>983463

Actually, there have been various "kingdoms of Burgundy".
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Burgundy
>>
>>983469
Was he talking about one of those though?
>>
I've always envisioned an alternate history where Charles the Bold's descendants managed to unite his possession in the Low Countries with the Burgundian landholdings by acquiring Lorraine. France and Germany would have a buffer state in-between them which drastically changes the next 450+ years of history.
>>
>>983471
I think he's talking about the Duchy of Burgundy during the 100 years war.
>>
>>983471

How I am supposed to know?
Ths board is so obsessed with unfunny memes that I am unable to get what most threads are about "muh redpill", "muh communism", "muh xjews", "muh regular jews"...
>>
>>983487
I assumed he was talking about Charles the bold while being wrong as fuck.
Same as this guy >>983486
>>
>>983475
Lotharingia tried to be the same thing. It just doesn't werk
>>
File: Chron_hainau_det.jpg (1 MB, 1035x693) Image search: [Google]
Chron_hainau_det.jpg
1 MB, 1035x693
>>983419
Why: The Duke had allied himself with the count of Savoy and said count had some trouble with the Swiss. No problem said Charles the reckless. Swiss pleaded the Duke not to attack because ransoming the entire country would not even raise enough cash to buy golden spurs for every Knight in his army. The madman attacked anyway

How: The Swiss were literally on top of him before he noticed them, like they partially inserted their collective dick in his ass before he even realized they were near. His plans were sound, tested and worked in cases before and after the Swiss Burgundian wars. His scouting was nonexistant. For someone with the best artillery in Europe, around 8000 longbowmen, a ton of knights, Flemish pikemen,. a standing army, advanced military organization (and the most decadent court of Europe) he did pretty bad.

His three predecessors were better in many ways. That said what they achieved lasted because Burgundy was integrated into the HRE as separate administrative entity and was allowed to keep their shared government and all those other things set up by the Dukes. Formative years for the Low Countries and especially the Netherlands.

t. Burgundyboo
>>
>>983776
>That said what they achieved lasted because Burgundy was integrated into the HRE as separate administrative entity
What? Burgundy was reintegrated into the kingdom of France, not franche comte or the low countries
>>
>
>
>
>>
>>983835
Burgundy as in the whole thing not just the Duchy proper. All the Dutch speaking parts remained in the Burgundian Kreits.
>>
>>983776
Why did he do his suicide stand at Nancy? He has outnumbered, in a terrible position and this against the guys that already kicked his ass twice.
>>
File: john the fearless battle array.png (795 KB, 1148x1920) Image search: [Google]
john the fearless battle array.png
795 KB, 1148x1920
>>984359
He actually suffered a mental breakdown between Grandson and Morat, locked himself in a room, never shaved and drank a shit ton of wine. Eventually he was dragged out of it but it shows something of his character.

At Nancy was he doing sort of okay initially and had a chance of capturing the town. When an army showed up he dug himself in at a good position with all his artillery ready and his pikemen+longbow combo. Don't quote me on it but I believe his advisers strongly recommended retreating, but he simply didn't. Possible because he was reckless or suffered from a depression.

Even then he still had an okay position and had the enemy charged him frontally the battle might have ended very differently. Sadly the weather was shitty and he was flanked and we all know the rest.

Grandson, Morat, Nancy - everything a bunch of Swiss suddenly showed up when he didn't expect them.

Pic sort of related, shows how his predecessors were a bit better on the whole scouting thing.
>>
>>984441
Guess theres the problem with monarchism, if the bugger goes mad or depressive all are fucked.
If one of the Swiss goes depressive, he is just replaced by someone else and thats that.

Also, was Charley gay or did he just shoot blanks? No offspring at his age is uncommon for the time.
>>
>>984679
He had a daughter. Not sure if he had any bastard children though. His father managed to father 16 or 20 bastards with around 7 different women.
>>
>>984788
Definitely gay then. Why didn't he have have a bull impregnating his waifus for him?
>>
>>984815
Ever considered his wife might've been unfuckable? I mean she was English after all.
>>
>>984831
he had 3 of them, and even if he had to marry for political reasons he still could have the foxiest mistresses to knock up. Didn't do it either.
Also, a friend of mine has an English wife, according to him the rumors are not true.
>>
File: camptown girls.png (216 KB, 323x659) Image search: [Google]
camptown girls.png
216 KB, 323x659
>>984846
>Also, a friend of mine has an English wife, according to him the rumors are not true.

Post-purchase rationalization?
>>
>>984854
I think I understand why the Swiss came after Charles so hard, a camp like that to loot must be a once in a lifetime opportunity for a poor mountain farmer.
>>
>>984854
No you are just memeing
>>
File: richfags.png (277 KB, 620x640) Image search: [Google]
richfags.png
277 KB, 620x640
>>984873
They turned the tent into luxury clothing for a bishop, that should tell you a thing or two about how extravagant it was.
>>
>>984441
Flanked through dense woods too. Charles never thought the Swiss would even attempt to slog it through them.
Ergo, Swiss outwitted him time and time again and this time was his last failure.
>>
>>984901
They had a snowstorm on their side though, in the primary sources it is stated they didn't see them until they were to close.
>>
>>984885
I know that the Swiss made so much booty that the Swiss where settled with artillery for the next century and that even the poorest peasant was able to buy his burger rights.
>>
File: battle_grandson04.jpg (65 KB, 450x301) Image search: [Google]
battle_grandson04.jpg
65 KB, 450x301
>>984929
Well the bronze pieces were undoubtedly adequate well into the 16th century but I would not be so sure about the wrought iron pieces. Though those in turn might have been fine for a garrison in some backwater town.

All in all they didn't really bring artillery with them on active campaign at least as far as I can tell.
>>
>>984955
They seriously had to much money though.
>>
>>984961
Horse barding made around 1540 ish

A gift from the Holy Roman Emperor to an English king. It had the arms of Burgundy on it signifying a sort of continuity and claim the HRE had.
>>
File: img1849e.jpg (425 KB, 1812x1356) Image search: [Google]
img1849e.jpg
425 KB, 1812x1356
>>984977
>>
File: Antoine_de_Bourgogne.jpg (1 MB, 1110x1500) Image search: [Google]
Antoine_de_Bourgogne.jpg
1 MB, 1110x1500
>>984995
Anthony of Burgundy was the (bastard) half brother of Charles. Both brothers were said to be skilled longbow archers, Anthony himself even won an archery competition in Bruges, hence the arrow in his portrait.
>>
>>984910
Must be a nasty surprise if you see 10-20k Swiss halberdiers storming your flanks.
Still I don't get it, with all his money he simply could have bought of the Swiss an use them to anex Lorraine.
>>
>>986767
The Swiss had an interest of their own and buying them off is not something you achieve lightly I reckon. Italians on the other hand...
>>
>>983475
There's no way the Dutch would let a Catholic rule over them in the 16th century, whether they're French or Italian.
>>
>Duchy of Burgundy and County of Burgundy were different entities in different countries
why is this allowed
>>
>>986959
And the actual Burgundians were a tribe from Germany, and had nothing to do with the Duchy.
Get it together Yuropoors.
>>
>>986959
Medieval law and politics.

It's Franche-Comté for you :^)
>>
File: Charles the Bold.jpg (355 KB, 900x1356) Image search: [Google]
Charles the Bold.jpg
355 KB, 900x1356
What went wrong
>>
File: portrait.jpg (149 KB, 703x1050) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
149 KB, 703x1050
>>986997
I suggest you read the previous posts.
>>
>>986997
Nothing, everything went according to plan
>The enemy of Switzerland is dead
>we got all his gold
>France and HRE are preoccupied with other things for the next 450 years
>>
>>986953
Flanders (current region) was also protestant for a while then
>>
>>986968
And Burgundy used to be part of the Holy Roman Empire as well as Lorraine. Imagine if the HRE had managed to consolidate as an actual entity with cohesion in the Middle Ages?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.