[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civilization collapses and all books are lost, except 3. Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14
File: 1459206917756.jpg (83 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
1459206917756.jpg
83 KB, 600x448
Civilization collapses and all books are lost, except 3. Which 3 history books do you save for future generations?
>>
Three transcripts from Crash Course World History
>>
>>983065
Would you not save a medical encyclopedia and some kind of engineering manual? I mean really; all books are gone except 3 and you're gonna pick 3 history books.
>>
Herodotus - Histories
The Bible
Evola - Ride the Tiger
>>
>>983085
>the bible
>>
File: horse.jpg (34 KB, 459x421) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
34 KB, 459x421
>>983085
>The Bible
>history book
>>
Wikipedia (the book)
4chan (the book)
The complete works of Dr. Suess
>>
>>983103
>the future will be full of cryptic genius psychopaths
>>
>>983083
of course not
would you today rather save history book or literature from library of alexandria or scientific book
scientific book might provide us with great insight about knowledge of ancients, but it would all be rediscovered, works of history and art on other hand are forever lost to us
>>
>>983114
>it would all be rediscovered,
It kind of wont. It's impossible to have another industrial revolution because easily obtainable resources, such as fossil fuels, have been depleted.
So yes, let's save only the pretty stories
>>
File: Mutt Vision.webm (3 MB, 640x580) Image search: [Google]
Mutt Vision.webm
3 MB, 640x580
>>983113
>psychopaths
with a strong love of animals especially doggos, ravens, and catbros.
>>
>>983114
>works of history and art on other hand are forever lost to us
We'll make more and faster if we kickstart the whole "germ theory and physics" thing.
>>
File: sumerian.png (199 KB, 423x468) Image search: [Google]
sumerian.png
199 KB, 423x468
>>983082
>>
>>983083
science can be rediscovered

art can only be created by 1
>>
>>983082
I will fucking stab you
>>
Nothing. Pretty much all the problems in the world are caused by history; if everyone just forgot about all that shit, it would be really great.
>>
>>983153
Don't blame father history for humanity fucking itself over repeatedly.
>>
>>983103
It make you think how future generations will think of 4chan.
Maybe they wouldn't know how exactly 4chan works and would conclude that Anonymous is only one person.
Think of how Anonymous would appear to them.
>>
File: 1329216439877.gif (1 MB, 170x150) Image search: [Google]
1329216439877.gif
1 MB, 170x150
>>983082
>>
>>983065
Tao te Ching
Fahrenheit 451
Harry Potter
>>
Ass Goblins of Aushwitz
50 Shades of Grey
Finnegan's Wake
>>
File: 1e0.gif (349 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
1e0.gif
349 KB, 350x233
>>983082
>>
File: wat.jpg (60 KB, 604x578) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
60 KB, 604x578
>>983065
> Civilization collapses and all books are lost, except 3. Which 3 history books do you save for future generations?

> only 3 books
> choosing history books

Why? For the love of all thats holy - WHY? Is this just me being godless internationalist commie?

Because this looks incredibly, unthinkably retarded.
>>
>>983262
I'm a right wing national traditionalist and no it's not just you
>>
>>983065
Joseph Schumpeter history of economic analysis

La Loi par Frédéric Bastiat

Western Civilization in World History by Peter N. Stearns
>>
>>983185
"Anonymous was kind of a fag desu with you senpai."
-Future Generations
>>
How SCOTLAND Invented the Modern World

Kilts and Tartans of SCOTLAND

The Complete Works of Robert Burns
>>
>>983065
the bible
rise and fall of rome by Gibbons
a history of the world through 100 inventions, although wikipedia or encyclopedia Brittanica would be equally valid.
>>
>>983065
Meinkampf
Marx' Communist Manifestos
Basic Economics by Sowell

This way our society wouldn't change and we would just continue to meme each other to death.
>>
>>983262
You'd want then history of the world to be lost?
>>
File: 1415629846535.jpg (31 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
1415629846535.jpg
31 KB, 478x373
>>983318
>gibbon

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>983335
It doesn't really matter. Catching up in order to rebuild is more important. Fixing the internet is the most important thing.
>>
File: 1407295844522.gif (405 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1407295844522.gif
405 KB, 267x200
>>983082
>>
>>983294
déclenché
>>
Against His story, against Leviathan
Civilization and its discontent
The Unabomber manifesto

Inb4 you accuse me of being some kind of edgelord, these 3 books are meant to give a message of hope, "yes civilization is kill but it was a shit anyway, so is up to you to build something better" or something like that.
>>
Three copies of Thucydides.
>>
>>983377
>Fixing the internet is the most important thing.

Spotted the basement dwelling neckbeard.

What good is having all that shit when you're going to be aimless and lost, never knowing where you came from.
>>
>>983065

The Bible, and burn the other two.
>>
3 books of my own make containing everything that assists in survival outside of civilization, how to rebuild civilization, maths, sciences, economics, ect.
>>
>>983484
>how to rebuild civilization

Which one?
>>
>>983490
Mine.
>>
Encyclopedia Dramatica
>>
>mfw posters who said the Bible

What a fucking waste
>>
>>983093
>>983097
>>983509
Calm your atheistic autism.
>>
Can someone name me a good book on the folly of religiosity for my list. Warn people to knock the superstitious off before people start arguing about their favorite fan fiction deity.
>>
>>983509
Maccabees chapter 7
or book of judges

don't tell me that shit ain't fun to read, and isn't based on a core of historic events.
>>
>>983335
> You'd want then history of the world to be lost?
Not what I'm talking about.

There are things more important than history.

And if we get only three books - then there is no place for history. Especially, not for THREE history books. I might accept 1 (one) history book if we get a dozen books in all. And even then I'm not certain it's a good idea. Even some ethical/religious book (though don't expect me to agree on Bible) is probably more important than history.

>>983477
> What good is having all that shit when you're going to be aimless and lost, never knowing where you came from.
In my opinion, it is much more important to BE great, rather than to remember being great.
>>
>>983517
Calm your monotheistic autism
>>
>>983543
Not him, but bible is most influential book in our history so picking it would be fair choice
>>
>>983610
> most influential book in our history
What exactly did it influence? I mean - we have Capital, for example. This book did influence things.

But what exactly did Bible do? Isn't it more of a symbol than an actual instrument of change?
>>
>>983622
Like philosophy, art, politics and thousand other parts of western civilisation.
Are you retarded?
>>
>>983630
> philosophy, art, politics
Specifics, please.

> Are you retarded?
Nope. Consider me uneducated, if you want to.
>>
>>983636
Open a book about general history and start at year 0 and read one.
Bible is key part of christianity, everything that christianity has influenced is direct influence of bible
>>
>>983305
I like it.
>>
>>983648
>can't give him a straight answer on your own
>need to send people away to read on their own instead of engaging them
>year 0
>not 4000 BC
baka
>>
>>983663
>he is on history board
>he doesnt have basic knowledge about world largest and most influential religion
>he doesnt have basic knowledge about best selling book and first mass-printed book in history of mankind

>year 0
>not 4000 BC
wat?
>>
The Voynich manuscript, for the lols.
>>
>>983630
Are YOU retarded? Do you actually think that religion is responsible for a majority of advances Christians have made?
>>
>>983648
Yeah. This is the kind of arguement that I should've expected.

Sorry for asking.
>>
>>983689
More specifically, do you think a cut and paste scrap book of Jewish Adventures is responsible for the creations of Christians?
>>
>>983065
The quran
The hadith
History of islam
>>
>>983676
Asking someone to speak with the assumption that someone knows nothing is a great way to find who knows what they're talking about.

That's clearly what he's trying to do and you'd shoo him away, claiming your victory instead of defending your point.

>4000 BC
Understanding Mesopotamian culture and faith should be where examining the development and effects of Christianity start, not 0.
>>
>>983636
In plenty of European countries, history was invented by Christians. Places like Ireland, for example, which had no written records until christianization, but afterwards was home to monasteries that housed some of the best schools in mideval Europe. With Christianity came art and science, and it encouraged those ideas to spread with its evangelistic message.

Later on you have things like colonialism that, in part, was driven by the evangelistic message in a weird sort of perverted humanitarian mindset.

By the way, this is my first post in this thread, and I'm not a Christian. But the bible is definitely a strong candidate for mos influential book ever, and it really doesn't take much digging to figure that out. I think the only reason someone would believe otherwise is because of some personal grudge against Christianity rather than a sound historical argument.
>>
>>983065
>Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince (English translation)
So that future generations know how to gain power.

>Niccolo Machiavelli's The Discourses (English translation)
So that future generations know how to maintain power.

>Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island
Because I apparently have the godlike power to preserve books in the face of the collapse of civilization, so I might as well preserve my favorite.
>>
>>983676
The first mass-printed book in history was a manual.
>>
>>983129
Well by that logic it's impossible to have another industrial revolution, so there's no point in saving books that will tell us how to have one.
>>
>>983143
lol lets lose important information that could save millions of lives so we can keep a nice book to read.
>>
>>983704
>Treasure Island
That's just...so sweet, anon. I hope you get to preserve it, should doomsday take us back to the stone age.
>>
>>983707
Depending on the sort of collapse, we may not need one, just the knowledge to pick up where we left off.
>>
Twilight, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Fifty Shades of Grey
>>
>>983694
Who the fuck mentioned scientific advance or said that christianity is responsible for it.
I wrote that christianity and bible influenced world more than any other book.
Which book started wars, to which books characters did michelangelo and leonard craft their masterpieces, on which book was philosophy of europe based for more than 1000 years...

>>983699
>4000 bc
than we would be discussing mesopotamian religion and its influence on christianity
>>
>>983139
Top fucking kek! That image reply made my day.
>>
>>983143
You can just create different art. Science can be rediscovered, but it's better to not lose it in the first place. It can drastically change the standard of living for a lot of people in a tangible way. Art improves the standard of living, but people will always be making it. I don't really see the difference in someone enjoying one piece of art or another, so holding on to historical art isn't as important as protecting technical knowledge.
>>
File: To the Hesitating Purchaser.png (23 KB, 414x582) Image search: [Google]
To the Hesitating Purchaser.png
23 KB, 414x582
>>983712
Thanks.

While I in general have no problem re-reading books, Treasure Island is the only one that I can finish reading and immediately turn back to page 1 to begin to read again. Plus my own personal copy has a hand-drawn map of the island that I made when I was 9 still in it.

Plus, if I am going to preserve any great work of literature, I'm going to preserve one that has a mostly happy ending. Not something depressing like The Stranger or Lord of the Flies or that godawful The Great Gatsby. The post-apocalyptic civilization will presumably be dark and depressing enough; no need to add to it. Instead I plan to keep spirits high with stories of buried treasure and pirates and the mighty Sea.

Pic oh so emphatically related.
>>
>>983719
>than we would be discussing mesopotamian religion and its influence on christianity
and then after that judaism, then mystery religions and other pagan faiths, then christianity.

No one said the conversation would be short, but it'd all be for the better.
>>
>>983706
>The first mass-printed book in history was a manual.
care to give us a source?
>>
A box set of Les Stroud's survivorman and a solar powered tv/dvd combo.
>>
>>983739
It was a book about how to build, maintain and use printing presses to mass produce books.
>>
>>983746
That...is an ingenious first book to print.
>>
>>983739
book of agriculture might be what he means. even then, it still wasn't the first thing apparently.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5910249/printed-books-existed-nearly-600-years-before-gutenbergs-bible
>>
>>983065
Classics of Western Thought, Ancient, Middle Ages, Modern.
Excerpts from the greatest works of our people, even contains the Gospel.
>>
>>983757
>even contains the Gospel
You'd throw away the chance to provide a moral code without archaic bullshit?
>>
File: 1456972868510.jpg (21 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1456972868510.jpg
21 KB, 400x399
>>983065
As you did not indicate the maximum size of the book or any other condition:
1- The complete bibliography of J.R.R.Tolkien, remastered and completed by the higher council of Tolkien experts.
2- A complete cooking manual with recepies from all over the world..
3- A complete traditional medicine wih healing traditions from all over the world.

Then, watch the world base it's religion on Middle Earth and eat well and stay healthy without going thru another industrial revolution.

I can dream
>>
>>983761
I didn't see the history part. but fuck it it was too tempting.
>>
>>983736
>>983704
Incidentally, if you can't tell, I'm forward-thinking here. With these three books I shall have a manual on and inspiration for founding and maintaining a maritime empire of piracy in the post-apocalyptic future. My government shall be based upon that of the Caribbean pirates, which ain't a bad way to run a horde.

(for the record - the captain's word is absolute in battle; outside of battle, the captain serves only in an advisory/planning position and otherwise carries out the will of a democratic vote among the entire crew. I would also add the caveat that in the event of a tie vote the Quartermaster's vote counts twice)
>>
>>983761
What will you do when someone naming himself Sauron rises with his army of cosplayers who don't know they're consplaying.
>>
>>983736
Get ready to loot some costume stores, because the survivors are going to want a stage show.
>>
>>983761
>2- A complete cooking manual with recepies from all over the world..

I imagine that a lot of ingredients would be hard to get after the apocalypse.
>>
File: 1454342759609.gif (2 MB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
1454342759609.gif
2 MB, 234x216
>>983777
laugh and consider myself a hero
>>
The Tao Te Ching
The Art of War
On the Genealogy of Morality

While humans rebuild civilizations, I hope these will help avoid some foreseeable issues. Tao Te Ching to limit extremism, Art of War so that armies are orderly and not just murderfucking savages, and On the Genealogy of Morality to limit moralfaggotry.
>>
>>983781
Quest to reach and claim the seeds from the Norwegian seed vault. Fight vikings along the way.
>>
Civilization collapsed, we didn't lose our memories

I wouldn't choose history books, instead id pass those history stories down as legends and myths for future generations to study, analyze, and someday find through archeology
>>
>>983760
>archaic bullshit
>implying the teachings of Christ aren't the perfect moral code
It's just the gospel, just the gospel of Christ. There is no Old Testament or any of that, only the do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
>>
>>983774
You have my sword
>>
>>983622
This poster is either underage or stupid - please ignore him.
>>
>>983065
God delusion, God is not great, the end of faith
>>
>>983208
>Farenheit 451
Not choosing superior Brave New World.
>>
File: 1460337258061.png (53 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
1460337258061.png
53 KB, 800x585
>>983065
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome
The Holy Bible [St. Joseph Edition]
Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual

>mfw I watch the world tear itself apart with various leaders claiming to be the Legitimate Emperor
>>
>>983610
Yes, and I would prefer it had been less influential
>>
Printed versions of Wikipedia, easy to read wikipedia, and wikihow.
>>
File: 1459806082277.jpg (212 KB, 1300x980) Image search: [Google]
1459806082277.jpg
212 KB, 1300x980
Mein Kampf by mein fuhrer
Hell Fire By Nick Tosches
The Modern History of Japan by Beasley
>>
>>983065
The Prince
The Bible
Art of War

Should be enough to cultivate the notion of statehood once more.
>>
Choose the 3 volumes of Capital and it would remake itself in a day.
>>
>>983539
>In my opinion, it is much more important to BE great, rather than to remember being great.

Good god you really are a commie. History is about recognizing past mistakes and successes and understanding the context behind why the world is like it is today.
>>
>>984544
>Same River Twice.
>>
>>984433
>mein kampf
>anime image

sounds about right
>>
>>983477
>What good is
A lot better than dying from famine and dysentery, while having almost no chance to read about your history cause you don't even have a decent light source.
The internet contains a fucking incredible amount of information, a lot of which is even practical
>>
>>983130
Jesus. That is one pretty place to live.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.