[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the Spanish and Portuguese convert to Islam under
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1460470172152.jpg (108 KB, 527x720) Image search: [Google]
1460470172152.jpg
108 KB, 527x720
Why didn't the Spanish and Portuguese convert to Islam under moorish rule?
>>
File: 1456894367212.jpg (159 KB, 800x1053) Image search: [Google]
1456894367212.jpg
159 KB, 800x1053
>>982084
They did. "Moors" were mostly converted Iberians.
>>
>>982084
They did
>>
They did
>>
>>982084
They did.
>>
>>982084
They did
>>
>>982084
They did.
>>
>>982084
They did
>>
>>982084
T. Alberto barbosa
>>
They did
>>
File: 4yTZQSg.jpg (303 KB, 1024x1399) Image search: [Google]
4yTZQSg.jpg
303 KB, 1024x1399
>>982084
Because Islam is objectively wrong and Christianity is right
>>
>>982300
>my 2,000 year old book translated multiple times about ancient middle eastern superheroes is true because reasons

Buddy I hate muslims like any sane person but it doesn't make another set of fairy tales true
>>
>>982376
>Buddy I hate muslims like any sane person
You mean insane? Because logically its insane to hate a 3rd of the world population that you've never met because they believe in the religion of where they live just like almost everyone.
>>
How true is the claim that many natives willingly converted (as opposed to the typical "convert or die" method)
>>
>>982383
Key difference being that there aren't 250 million violent Christian fundamentalists out there

I have a copy of the Quran on my bookshelf anon, "moderate" Muslims don't exist
>>
>>982383
It's all about that religion though
Religion of peace my ass
>>
the biggest money maker for the islamic emirates was the tax on non-muslims.

At some point, so many were avoiding taxes by converting that the tax base was becoming substantially reduced, and so, they stopped pushing for everyone to convert.

To quote a professor of mine, "They'd rather you go to church on Sunday and pay your taxes than find Allah in your life."
>>
>>982084
Musilms were not very much into converting people, and let christians and jews be so without any problem.
So, except for avoid paying more taxes, nobody has a reason for converting.
>>
>>982390
Assalaam aleikum ya akhi. Atakalamu 3rabi jayyidan jiddan?
>>
>>982545
>Musilms were not very much into converting people
In Europe, anyways. In Africa, the Middle East and India it was more a convert or die situation.
>>
>>982084
It wasn't a big objective for muslims to convert Christians because they relied on the jizya which was only paid by them. Also almost all farmers in Moorish spain were Christians because muslims apparently liked city life better so they didn't want to piss them too much off.
However some Christians did convert to Islam, mostly well educated ones who used it as a career booster or because they were fascinated by their culture.
Sometime during the 12th century or so a castilian king reached the coasts of southern Spain with his armies. As he had to retreat many Christians went with him, those who chose to stay were mostly resettled by the muslims, since that time there were almost none Christians left in Moorish Spain.
>>
>>982545
This ignores the basic social reasons for religion. Read David Yamane and Keith Richards on the sociology of religion. The single biggest reason for converting to any religion is social rather than logical, ideological or economical. If your boss, coworkers, professors and friends are of a religion, chances are you'll convert at some point. It's impossible that the moorish hegemony in iberia didn't have this fact in play as much as any other place on earth.
>>
>>982563
Yes. Muslim Spain was renown in the muslim world as a liberal cuck country.
>>
>>982572
I know you're taking the piss, but it's true.
>>
They did convert. The culture of iberia and latin america is arab (from the arabian peninsula)
>>
>>982300
>>982084
I know these are jokes but equating the actions of state actors to those of a few guys is pretty dumb I feel.
>>
>>982586
>They both use El and ال
Shit you may be on to something
>>
>>982084
They did worse. They race-mixed. Religion is ultimately an ideology and can be changed to suit one's needs. But genetics stay for good.
>>
>>982390
>I have a copy of the Quran on my bookshelf anon, "moderate" Muslims don't exist
That's a non sequitur
>>
>>982917
Read between the lines you autist. He's implying that, after having read the quran, he has come to conclusion that their holy book excludes moderatism as a possibility.

God, you're like the intellectuals in ancient athenian jokes.
>>
>>982924
That's also a non sequitur. Explaining a poor joke just makes it worse.
>>
>>982924
>implying that Islam, like any religion, is simply reflective of its holy text.
>>
>>982595
Those few guys are in fact acting for a state, the Islamic State
>>
>>982567
Mostly this. Read up on the Martyrs of Cordoba. None of them seem to have made any arguments concerning taxation or whatever, but instead were worried about cultural osmosis and syncretic and ecumenical influences.

The historical sumptuary laws supposedly derived from Umar for example were attempts at segregating Muslims from non-Muslims in their social and material culture. For most people following an Abrahamic religion past and present, conversion is a matter of social pressure and relationships.

The jizya tax as the main driver of conversion never made much sense when taking all taxation in historically Muslim states into account. There were taxes for everything, and converting to Islam just made you a target for other taxes. The same tax strategy applied to Muslims when ruled over by Christian authorities never worked much either.
>>
>>982300
Ironically, this image is accidentally accurate considering the Byzantines had Muslim vassals, subjects, and allies at the time who did compete with the Seljuks for the right to be the recognized representatives of Byzantine Muslims.

Praying for Byzantium was literally what most people would do, right down to singing the Te Deum while the walls of Constantinople are over run.
>>
The Islamic Moors didn't force the populace to convert to their religion. To them, Christians were considered "people of the book" anyway, so why bother? Historically, Islamic rule in the region was pretty accepting of other ways of life.

That's in contrast to what happened after the Spanish regained control, when they banished and/or executed anyone who wasn't a Catholic Christian (Alhambra degree, Spanish inquisition, etc.).
>>
>>982932
>Implying said holy text actually even makes the hitherto stated claims.
>>
>>982998

>Mudéjar (Spanish: [muˈðexar, muˈðehar], Portuguese: [muˈðɛʒaɾ], Catalan: Mudèjar [muˈðɛʒər], Arabic: مدجن trans. Mudajjan, "tamed; domesticated"[1]) is the name given to individual Moors or Muslims of Al-Andalus who remained in Iberia after the Christian Reconquista but were not converted to Christianity. This term is used to contrast with both Muslims in Muslim-ruled areas (for example, Muslims of Granada before 1492), and also in contrast to Moriscos who were forcibly converted and may or may not have continued to secretly practice Islam.[2]
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.