[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Um.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160413_153319.jpg (49 KB, 540x312) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160413_153319.jpg
49 KB, 540x312
Um.
>>
Truly a more civilized time.
>>
>>980512
Maybe Seneca was just throwing some top banter, or meant the Romans had so much excess they would get rid of what was already good in order to consume more, or he was a butthurt Greek captive philosopher
>>
Reminds me of that one feast in The Hunger Games, involving a character called Seneca Crane. The feastgoers drank a vomit inducing drink so that they could eat more
>>
>>980552
Nvm, Seneca Crane was dead by then
>>
It was regarded as decadent. Cicero said Caesar liked to vomit after meals and it was considered an insult.
>>
>>980512
Looks like an ancient shitpost, any more sources on this custom?
>>
I heard their coliseums even had dedicated vomitoriums! That's crasy.
>>
>>980616
I can't tell if you're being ironic but vomitoriums were evacuation passages, not vomit spaces
>>
Speaking of Roman eating habits, is it known when exactly they stopped reclining to eat? I presume that that's something that went out with Christianity? Or did it continue well into the ERE?
>>
>>980616
DESIGNATED PUKING FORUMS
>>
>>980634
>tfw eat all meals in front of the computer on a reclining swivel chair

Am I patrician now?
>>
>>980575
Seneca himself was Roman
>>
m e t a p h o r
e
t
a
p
h
o
r
>>
>>980543
>or meant the Romans had so much excess they would get rid of what was already good in order to consume more
Probably this. Histories, especially ancient ones, tended to exaggerate for effect. Just saying "Romans were so opulent that they could eat a lot" doesn't say as much or have much of an effect. Saying that they eat so much they puke and do it so they can continue eating paints a better "fuck, these people live opulent lives" picture.
>>
>>980784
Do you begin each day by rising before the sun so that you can dispense fragments of your vast fortune to the masses of supplicants gathered at your door? Or do you get up hours after the day has begun, thaw a frozen waffle in the toaster, and know that no one will talk to today who is not required to do so by exterior demands or social mores?
>>
>>980512
>Lucius Annaeus "having fun is highly unhealthy" Seneca
It's a Stoic complaining about other people having fun, nothing else.
>>
>>981546

I wonder if there exists another kind of source confirming this, some wall writing perhaps.
>>
File: 1391015368029.jpg (54 KB, 324x289) Image search: [Google]
1391015368029.jpg
54 KB, 324x289
From Second Anglo-Afghan War

>The British officer John Masters recorded in his autobiography that Afghan women in the North-West Frontier Province of British India during the Second Anglo-Afghan War would castrate non-Muslim soldiers who were captured, like British and Sikhs.[15][16] They also used an execution method involving urine; Pathan women urinated into prisoner's mouths.[17] Captured British soldiers were spread out and fastened with restraints to the ground, then a stick, or a piece of wood was used to keep their mouth open to prevent swallowing. Pathan women then squatted and urinated directly into the mouth of the man until he drowned in the urine, taking turns one at a time.
>>
>>980512
Vomitoriums were a real thing.
>>
all this "muh vomitorium" shitposting. you've got to be kidding me.
>>
>>982714
Fuck, that's brutal.
[spoiler]I'm literally getting a boner. Help me.[/spoiler]
>>
>>981546
It's always morality. Romans, even in their so-called golden age constantly though that prior generations were morally upright and that their own period was a decadent era. They were amazingly conservative like that. Unfortunately a lot of it has permeated modern scholarship through writers like Gibbon so that even some mainstream scholars today think that early Rome was a time of frugal and chaste farmer-soldiers while the late Roman Empire was a time of decay and moral dissolution.
>>
File: afghane.jpg (151 KB, 860x574) Image search: [Google]
afghane.jpg
151 KB, 860x574
>>982828
Would you let her piss into your mouth?
>>
>>982849
No! I hate that fetish.
But it's turning me on. I want to kill myself.
>>
File: dsc_0007.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0007.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
>>982748
Yes and they still are. It's the thing you go through to enter the seats at an arena.
>>
File: ss-091026-sun-01.ss_full.jpg (67 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
ss-091026-sun-01.ss_full.jpg
67 KB, 1200x800
>>982867
Maybe you're getting turned on by the fact that the soldier is helpless and vulnerable against a group of exotic women
>>
>>982714
I love it when obvious fetishists write about their DeviantArt stuff as if it's an actual thing.
>>
>>982912
Yeah. I use to vomit there all the time. Give the romans a rest.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (48 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
48 KB, 469x463
>>980552
>The Hunger Games
>>
>>982834
>Romans, even in their so-called golden age constantly though that prior generations were morally upright and that their own period was a decadent era.
That seems oddly familiar
>>
>>982948
It's real

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Anglo-Afghan_War#Captured_British_and_Indian_soldiers
>>
>>982991
Yeah but did anyone else but John Masters ever write about women drowning guys in urine?
>>
>>982834
That's how a people should think though
It obviously worked for Rome
>>
>>980512
It's not hard to imagine bulimia existing back then but it was likely more of a metaphor and insult for the upper class's excess in Rome
If historians of the future were to look back at 4chan's past year they would conclude that at least 75% of users engaged in cuckoldry
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.