[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were pikes used during the Napoleonic Wars? I know they were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: Pikes.jpg (13 KB, 286x176) Image search: [Google]
Pikes.jpg
13 KB, 286x176
Were pikes used during the Napoleonic Wars? I know they were becoming obsolete by this time period because most infantry troops had bayonets attached to their muskets, but were there any pike-specific units during any instance of the wars?
>>
>>980473
The russians still used short pikes, but mostly because they didnt have enough guns, same goes for the odd civilian militia. Musket + bayonet completely outclasses pike
>>
>>980473
>>980521
Also 30 years war was the most aesthetically pleasing period of military history ever
>>
File: victorian us army.jpg (80 KB, 736x459) Image search: [Google]
victorian us army.jpg
80 KB, 736x459
>>980524
Nah bro, you're confusing the 30 Years war aesthetic with Spanish-American war era American aesthetic.
>>
>>980544
>wannabe prussian unfiorms

Ewww
I'd take Napoleonic uniforms over this filth any day
>>
File: battle of peking.jpg (878 KB, 2768x1700) Image search: [Google]
battle of peking.jpg
878 KB, 2768x1700
>>980571
I was referring more to the campaign uniforms with the Stetson hats and those hot sexy Krag-Jorgensen rifles.

Napoleonic uniforms are okay, but shakos only look good in paintings.
>>
>>980544
All I see are amatuers trying way too hard, hopefully the get macheted to pieces by filipinos
>>
>>980544
no

>>980473
Pikesforants.jpg
>>
How do swords and axes beat pikes?

Isn't stabby stabby better than slashy slashy?
>>
>>980473
>I know they were becoming obsolete by this time period
They were already obsolete during the seven years war and the American war for independence.
>>
File: 00000544.tif.large.jpg (357 KB, 2000x1738) Image search: [Google]
00000544.tif.large.jpg
357 KB, 2000x1738
>>982263
It's all about getting past the pointy end.

However, in general, you'd try to beat them either with other pikes, shooting them or outflanking them.
>>
>>982263
Pikes are only useful in formations and at range. Get past the points or break/outflank the formation and the pikemen are fucked. This is why rome fucked greeks so badly
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.