[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1) Did the Frankfurt Parliament ever stand a chance? 2) What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: deutschland_über_alles.jpg (176 KB, 765x599) Image search: [Google]
deutschland_über_alles.jpg
176 KB, 765x599
1) Did the Frankfurt Parliament ever stand a chance?

2) What would the 1848 Germany have been like, compared to 1871?
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>980582

Bump for disinterest
>>
>>980614
Bump for possible but not yet manifest interest
>>
>>980216
No Franz-Joseph I did not want to lose their non-germanic territories and the Frederick-William IV did not want a crown from the gutter.
>>
>>980216

That is an image of a Belgian revolutionary force you mong
>>
>>980984
fucking really? It's a depiction of the 1848 revolution dipshit.
>>
>>980984
You retarded?
>>
>>981309
>>981157
>>980984
To be fair the other flags besides the one in the middle are actually the Belgian flag
Artist fucked up there but I like it
>>
>>980216
I don't know very much about the actual events, but their reception in modern Germany is quite interesting. It's a popular idea in German political thought that the revolution was a missed opportunity, and that 1848's German Reich would have been a more liberal and more peaceful country than the 1871 edition. The failure of the revolution, so it goes, made the German bourgeouisie retreat from the political life, leaving the eventual unification of Germany to Prussian aristocrats. Often, this line of reasoning is extended into the Weimar republic and Nazi Germany; all the later ills could have prevented if only 1848 had succeeded. This is of course a very romantic view; a powerful, nationalistic republic could have given birth to Hitler as it did to Napoleon. But it's the one piece of "good", "clean" history that modern Germany has (arguably), and so 1848 is held in great reverence even today.
>>
>>980216
I'd argue no since it would put into power the exact same people that the 1871 unification did, just earlier. I mean they literally just handed the title of Emperor to Frederick. The likely major difference is that it would have been almost immediately torn asunder by Austria and Russia instead of lasting.
>>
>>981452
You're actually still wrong. The others in the pic are just the tricolor versions of the German flag and are black, red, gold, not black, gold, red like the Belgian flag.
>>
>>982758
Although it would technically be given to the same monarchy, a vital component is missing; Otto von Bismark. IIRC, he didn't get into Prussian government til after this period. As pointed out above, this allows for the possibility that the Junkers would not have had the power they were able to get handed to them in 1871. Additionally, a Fredrick Wilhelm IV that accepts the throne is slightly different than the one we have in OTL, as the acceptance of the "crown from the gutter" would obviously indicate a willingness to compromise with liberal elements.
>>
>>982777
You're correct in your assessment that Bismarck would not be an element, as he did not become a minister in Prussia until 1862, but the fact of the matter is that the Prussian Aristocracy and the Junker class were alive and well in the 1840's and were the downfall of the 1848 revolution.

>would obviously indicate a willingness to compromise with liberal elements
I also don't agree with this. If anything it shows a willingness to compromise with other German princes, not liberal elements. Imo, given the political situation across Germany, the solidification of the Junker class in the Brandenburg-Prussian aristocracy across centuries prior to this point, the outcome would in all likelihood been the same in terms of governorship and culture.
>>
>>982777
>>982798
>If anything it shows a willingness to compromise with other German princes, not liberal elements.

This isn't true at all, every revolution in 1848 was liberal in its nationalism, the crown was rejected because the Prussian monarch didn't want a parliament with power.

Bismarck didn't really like nationalism either and only used it as a force to marshal public opinion later on.
>>
>>982809
>the crown was rejected because the Prussian monarch didn't want a parliament with power
That's not why the crown was rejected and you know it. It had everything to do with international pressure and the divine right of kings.
>>
>>982812
>It had everything to do with international pressure and the divine right of kings.

>international pressure
France was in the process of having two revolutions, Austria was dealing with Hungary, and Russia was dealing with Poland and Hungary. Britain was fairly liberal at this point and got on well with Prussia. Who was going to pressure Prussia when everyone was unstable?

>divine right of kings
an absolute meme by this point
>>
>>982819
Friedrich Wilhelm didn't think he had the support of other German princes and also feared Russia and Austria would come knocking afterwards.

>an absolute meme by this point
Not to Friedrich Wilhelm it wasn't.

Do you actually know what is common knowledge about why the gutter crown was turned down or are you going to keep being a revisionist sperg?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.