[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In wars, how often do battles have news reporters and camera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Lowell_Thomas_in_Arabia,_1918.jpg (32 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
Lowell_Thomas_in_Arabia,_1918.jpg
32 KB, 525x700
In wars, how often do battles have news reporters and camera men on the scene? Are most of the news people also soldiers or at least equipped with weapons? Always thought this was one of the coolest jobs after seeing the news reporter in Lawrence of Arabia taking pictures of Lawrence's train sabotage. The reporter seemed pretty careless about how he wandered around the battlefield, as though he weren't going to be attacked because he wasn't a soldier.
>>
>>979114

Civilian newsmen, the guys from BBC, New York Times, Le Monde or Al Jazeera... are civilians, no soldiers, they do not fight and have no weapons.
Armies may deploy their own info teams, to film or record stuff for news or promotional purposes, such men being part of the army may carry weapons and even fight if needed but they are not deployed with that purpose.
>>
>>979165
>Civilian newsmen, the guys from BBC, New York Times, Le Monde or Al Jazeera

How often do they get captured / killed?
>>
>>979167

Check some Journalist assoc, to see some figures:
>https://cpj.org/killed/

I know that various have died recently in Syria.
>>
Ernest Hemingway famously got a bit involved when he was a journalist covering the Spanish Civil War. There are pictures of him feeding belts into a machine gun.
>>
What amazes me are the various footage taken in WW2 by cameraman. There's footage of soldiers getting shot, planes crashing into the ground, tanks and various ships being blown away. Truly amazing.
>>
>>979114
bump
>>
>>979229
>Ernest Hemingway
wasn't he an actual soldier or something
>>
>>983011

He enlisted himself to the Militias of the POUM, if I recall correctly.
>>
during the American Civil War journalists actually caused damage

it was really easy to capture a journalist who just made an impromptu note and use the intel he gathered to actually surprise the opponent, Yankees lost a good amount of people because of that
>>
>>983036
No he didn't.

He visited the front lines, fired a machine gun at the enemy line and probably felt and looked good while doing it. Didn't stay for the following artillery response.

I think this one was from Orwell's book, who himself fought along POUM
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.