[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are transported back in time and placed in the body of Alexander
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Alexander.jpg (13 KB, 220x132) Image search: [Google]
Alexander.jpg
13 KB, 220x132
You are transported back in time and placed in the body of Alexander the Great on the day of his fathers death, you combine his knowledge with yours.
What do you do?
>>
start picking scabs off of cows
>>
Bury all my valuables in a spot only I know the coordinates to.
>>
Make fucking crossbows. Use Roman tactics. Don't go to India. Expand north instead. Start training someone to replace me when I die. Name less cities Alexandria and more after my horse.
>>
I would conquer only up to the Levant, instead I would go north and capture up to the Danube, basically to the borders of Basil II ERE. I'd still free Egypt though, and then marry some Egyptian princess and ally them. Then give all my Companions a province to govern and fuck my wives until I die.
>>
>>977714
Mostly the same stuff, except approach India more carefully by negotiating with smaller kingdoms over a few years, taking time at one point to return to Babylon to formalize a political structure and recruit for an Indian campaign. I return from the capital with well-trained Greek, Macedonian, and friendly Persian hopilites, who should by then be able to maintain a phalanx at least semi-competently. Hopefully my negotiations work by offering concessions to smaller kingdoms before focusing everything on the most immediate powerful kingdom. Basically Pizarro my way through north India.

Backstabbing, disease, an shit turn of luck during a battle, or unexpected unity against outside invaders among the Vedic people could fuck the plan but you gotta be smart and flashy if you want to take down a subcontinent with so many hands to hold spears. At some point you have to break their morale or overawe them. Continue the trend of relative openness to new ideas and people, but I give preferential treatment to the OG Companions. Ideally I become god-king like Egypt or emperor like in Persia, although I would settle for feared superpower in the region.

Then I wake up one day and have to bother administrating an empire that includes half the damn population of earth. Attempt an enormous mixed army lead by a Macedonian elite but open to mixed lower ranks (maybe change that policy for proven soldiers). Encourage the spread of Greek culture throughout the empire. Name even more stuff after myself because Alexander is cool fuckin' name.

Also loads of weird, kinky, hedonistic boning with hoes from different area codes. Maybe bother to have a proper heir.

Again assuming I don't get assassinated though.
>>
>>977714
Establish a republic of Macedonia and Thrace with an established constitution that very specifically prevents women from ever voting or being considered for a vote.

I then get paid and fuck bitches.
>>
>>977714
I am now Alexander except I am aware of of stirrups. The world trembles
>>
File: 1460375344089.png (2 MB, 598x913) Image search: [Google]
1460375344089.png
2 MB, 598x913
>>
I write a book on what I know about modern post Newton physics. Then I use my limited knowledge on modern Metallurgy to try and learn my subjects how to craft modern steel. I also invest money in making the Greeks use there already existing knowledge to build water and wind mills and try to make them more advanced to compensate for the lack of interest coming from a surplus of spies.
If I do manage to conquer Persia I will abstain from just burning down Persepolis, trying to preserve some of what the Persians know.
>>
Codify the Greek Religion and reference future events like that of Pompeii, Herculaneum, the new world ect and modern invocations and understandings.
>>
>>977714
I have a crazy idea but hear me out.

We invent muskets, and turn the macedonian pike into an extremely long musket..

Then we shoot the world
>>
>>977793

Why did the stirrup take so long to be developed?
>>
Do everything the same except the Persian custom adoptions.
>>
>>977821
Because they're no where near as important as people make out.
>>
Find a cure for fucking malaria.
>>
File: At last I truly see.png (7 KB, 227x191) Image search: [Google]
At last I truly see.png
7 KB, 227x191
Spend all day shitarguing in the agora
>>
Can I pick a date after the conquest please? Much of Alexander's success was dependent on luck
>>
Do a shit as I don't know language or don't recognize any of the guy.
>>
>>977886
>you combine his knowledge with yours
>>977878
Alright, 329BC
>>
>>977847
They make decent lance charges possible, and that was the thing which made heavy cavalry so godly in the middle ages
>>
>>977897
No not really, thats actually the myth. One guy wrote a book saying that and everyone takes it as gospel.

The real advantage of stirrups is to light cavalry, it doesn't really do anything for cavalry charges.
>>
>>977904
To be fair its the saddle/stirrup combination that makes advanced forse warfare possible, rather than the stirrup alone. But that kind of fighting just isnt possible without the stirrup, and im not aware of anyone who denies it.

The book I believe you are talking about argued that feudalism and general Europeans social structure is a direct result of the stirrup, and that IS a very debatable claim
>>
Kill Olympias. Marry Eurydice. Do everything else Alexander did.
>>
Name my empire the United States of America and make countless references to George Washington and the UK in a hilarious attempt to confuse modern day historians.
>>
>>977919
>To be fair its the saddle/stirrup combination that makes advanced forse warfare possible, rather than the stirrup alone. But that kind of fighting just isnt possible without the stirrup, and im not aware of anyone who denies it.
Tons of people deny it, including history. The Stirrup provides better balance and control of the horse, it's not really a factor in decisive charges. Heavy shock cavalry existed well before the stirrup, its the saddle which is the most important part, the stirrup will do nothing to hold you in place on the horse, you slip into them from behind, you can slip out the back just as easily. The reason medieval knights were more effective than previous shock cavalry was the result of better lance couching techniques, much heavier horses and better armour, not because their feet were inside little loops.
>>
>>977944
Stirrups provide support, ensuring you don't get your balls crushed when the horse gallops. Also you can't just be pushed off.
>>
>>977978
The ball issue was never an issue for the cavalry before stirrups. You can be pushed off the back of your horse on charge impact when your lance hits something, thats why you need to be secured into the saddle.
>>
Invade Arabia after dealing with the Bactrian tribes, instead of putting it off and then dying never to go through with it. Arabia probably becomes part of Ptolemy Egypt, Seleucid Empire. Arabs pacified, adopt Greek as commercial/administrative language, gradual conversion of ALL Arabs to Christianity.

r8 my alt /his/.
>>
>>978019
*to Christianity 300 years later.
>>
>>977978

Stirrups also provide sideways support of the rider right? Allowing the rider to swing his weapon out with greater force? Im pretty sure that was one of the main advantages
>>
Kick-start science in Greece and then use chemical weapons against the Indians.

Also, grill a thick fat burger but that's about it.
>>
Fuck that begoas boipucci
>>
>>977714
Proceed to wreck everything like in history. Except don't go to India. Go back West and destroy Rome in its infancy. Establish a democeacy across my lands. Don't give generals land, but government positions. Train a successor and slowly kill off generals after everything is done by accusing them of conspiracy and treason. So that they all are dead and cannot feud over territory when I die.
>>
fug Hephaestion
>>
Marian reforms and teach everybody the magic of gunpowder.

Don't bother trying to invade India. Finish off the Persian empire then focus primarily on consolidating my holdings in the Mediterranean.

Make contact with Carthage.
>>
Fuck going east, let's head west
>>
>>977714
>I would head and start a new earth with the odd, giant white god-peoples to the north and west (germania, gaul, northern europe/scandinavia in all its proto form) and use my alexandrian knowledge, scholars and what not, and bring the white people hellenism, instead of the filthy middle east after durius was finished
>>
I would fuck corinthian girls in every hole imaginable. I would also cheat a bit, using my knowledge of economics and basic chemistry.

I suppose I would invent algebra as well.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.