[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Protestantism so enticing to Germanics and Nordics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: images (4).jpg (41 KB, 361x407) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
41 KB, 361x407
Why was Protestantism so enticing to Germanics and Nordics?
>>
File: FOCUS-Titel-51-11-16x9.jpg (112 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
FOCUS-Titel-51-11-16x9.jpg
112 KB, 1200x627
>>976564
Because it was started by a German who liberated the North from its Latin yoke.
>>
>why was overthrowing the power of the Catholic church so appealing to power-hungry German princes
>>
>>976574
This. Who wouldn't rather get their religion from their own country men over an Italian months of travel away.
>>
>>976564
Henry the VIII had the best idea. Keep the church and just make yourself pope.
>>
Correct if I'm wrong, but wasnt a huge part of it was that Martin Luther translated the bible into German (or whatever the fuck version of it the locals were speaking) which people could actually read for themselves as they could not read Latin? And then they realized the bible didn't completely match up with what the Catholic Church was stating
>>
>>976564
Because France and Sweden supported a militant Protestant takeover through military force in order to keep the HRE divided.
>>
>>976601
Also another reason was the Protestants had the printing press on their side, so they had a monopoly on media control and propaganda.
>>
>>976584
Is there any country that remained consistently Catholic besides Italy and Spain?
>>
File: Smug Frog.png (281 KB, 495x597) Image search: [Google]
Smug Frog.png
281 KB, 495x597
>>976601
To keep the WHAT divided?
>>
>>976611
Poland.
>>
>>976614
Sweet, succulent pussy walls courtesy of my dick.
>>
>>976611
Southern Germany. I think Swiss are still mostly Catholic by a small margin, and there was and still is a large Catholic majority in France.
>>976622
This too, Poland and the Baltic states all remained Catholic.
>>
>>976622
>Poland.
I thought they were really diverse until the modern era.

>>976626
>Baltic states
Really? Aren't most Christians in the Baltic Protestant?
>>
>>976643
I thought only their Swedish masters where.
>>
>>976564
it's only natural for autists to be attracted to an autistic sect
>>
To get rid of Papist control that's why.
>>
>>976650

>protestantism = autism
Get out of here with your memes, buddy. Autists actually tend to be irreligious.

http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/proceedings/2011/papers/0782/paper0782.pdf

kill yourself, faggot
>>
>>976626
>>976647
Did Croatia and Slovenia also stay Catholic? As in without the Hapsburgs having to undo the Reformation like with Hungary and Bohemia.
>>
>>976662
Found the Swede.
>>
>>976594
No.
>>
>Martin Luther becomes a meme
>anyone can interpret the Bible
>anyone can receive the word of God
>hilarity ensues
>10/10 would siege Münster again
>>
>>976850
The more I learn about Luther the more it seems like he was just kind of a dumbfuck who set off something that had been building for a while and which he never had any hope of controlling once it got going.
>>
>>976907
Correst word is autist.
>>976666
Are you seriously trying to tell me that having several thousands protestant denominations is not a sign of autism?
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/scottericalt/we-need-to-stop-saying-that-there-are-33000-protestant-denominations

The WCE then goes on to break down “world Christianity” into the following broad categories:

Protestants: 9000 denominations
>>
>>976564
Germanics didn't have the cultural ties to Rome that made southern Europe so fond of the Catholic Church.
>>
>>976643
While Poland was very tolerant of other religions, Catholicism was intrinsic to the ideal of the "Polish Noble." Lesser nobility would sometimes convert in hopes of being more accepted in high society.
>>
Nordic languages are germanic
>>
The Turks supported the Protestants, remember.
>>
>>976611
Ireland, Austria(?), Quebec, Latin America
>>
>>977108
France then suffered with its own Protestant rebellions.
>>
>>976579
this and this only
>>
PLEASE EXCUSE ME

I COULDN'T HELP BUT NOTICE THAT YOUR DEFINITION OF "GOD" WILDLY DIFFERS FROM MY OWN

I WILL NOW ENGAGE IN PETTY SQUABBLES SO THAT MY VISION OF AN ABSTRACT CONCEPT BECOMES THE MOST RELEVANT
>>
>One comment complaint I heard during the height of the Atheist-Theist Online Wars was that atheists were a lot like fundamentalists. Both wanted to interpret the religious texts in the most literal possible way.

>Being on the atheist side of these wars, I always wanted to know: well, why wouldn’t you? Given that the New Testament clearly says you have to give all your money to the poor, and the Old Testament doesn’t say anything about mixing meat and milk, maybe religious Christians should start giving everything to the poor and religious Jews should stop worrying so much about which dishes to use when?

>I think that very neurotypical people naturally think in terms of tribes, and the idea that they have to retool their perfectly functional tribe to conform to the exact written text of its holy book or constitution or stated political ideology or something seems silly to them. I think that less neurotypical people – a group including many atheists – think less naturally in terms of tribes and so tend to take claims like “Christianity is about following the Bible” at face value. But Christianity is about being part of the Christian tribe, and although that tribe started around the Bible, maintains its coherence because of the Bible, and is of course naturally influenced by it, if it happens to contradict the Bible in some cases that’s not necessarily surprising or catastrophic.
>>
>>977642
Spengler called, he want's the Faustian Spirit back.
>>
Because it's fucking god-tier that's why. The pope is a faggot and we don't need his shit to kick ass and take names.
>>
It'd have been so awesome if Luther succeeded to become some kind of new prophet of Christianity and conquered Rome. The German Mohammed.
>>
>>
The Renaissance spawned early early nationalist movements like Jan Hus in Czechia or the whole WE WUZ ROMANS in Italy. In Germany, the intellectuals, artists and prices were keen to establish a united German nation (hint in this time the 'of German nation' was added to Holy Roman Empire). Luther provided the ideology which eventually provided the fundament which the modern should be built upon. Although it were the Netherlands and Britain that rose to power with the liberated mindset the reformation was spreading.
>>
>>976564

mostly I think they were sick of getting orders handed down to them from some unbelieveably corrupt wop and his lackeys
>>
>>977678
>mostly I think they were sick of getting orders handed down to them from some unbelieveably corrupt wop and his lackeys

Pol is calling.
>>
It was just a coincidence that northern catholic lands converted to protestantism. Just a coincidence the lands with least contact with and representation in Rome converted. It's as if catholic church promoted a culture that wasn't suited for these people.
>>
>>977675
Hus or his followers weren't a bit nationalist. They only went against catholics.
>>
>>976564
Probably because all them indulgence money from Germany were going to Rome.
The nobility were pretty pissed about it, since it was the era of money becoming an actual thing.
>>
>>976564
It is no coincidence that the Protestant countries, which the exception of England, were those areas that fell outside the Roman Empire. Catholic areas were at one time part of the Roman empire. (The exceptions, such as Ireland and Poland, likely remained Catholics because their main opponents, the English and Prussians, were Protestants. The Scots, who were not under the English thumb like the Irish, became Protestants, for example.)
>>
germanics have always historically been heretics who ruin fucking everything
see arianism
>>
>>978179
absolutely retarded
>>
>>978134
Good point
>>
>>978179
This.
Christianity's factions are pretty cultural.
Catholic: Western latins(includes ), celts, german mini-states that sided with Rome, and a couple of countries who's foundation was tied to the pope(Poland, Hungary, etc.). Generally tied to the WRE.
EO: Greeks, eastern latins, and slavs via byzantium's culltural influence(Cyril's activities, and Russia picking up their thing, which spread their influence eastwards).
OO: Non-imperial churches.
Assyrians: Christians isolated on the eastern fringe of Christendom.

Protestants: germanics that threw their lot in with the princes during the reformation. Frequently in areas that were never part of the Empire, and/or were converted later.

Of course, this is simplified, since non-chalcedonians and chalcedonians had great periods of fighting in-between them in both areas, and loyalists and cultural schismatics were everywhere, in every christian dispute (see Thomas More).
>>
File: Apostolic Sees.png (119 KB, 1152x674) Image search: [Google]
Apostolic Sees.png
119 KB, 1152x674
>>978254
Related pic.
>>
>>978254

>catholic
>celts

they're protestant with the exception of ireland + bretons
>>
>>976594
You have everything backwards.

Martin "the Pope does well" Luther, a monk, becomes a priest, journeys to Rome, finds a lot of faults in the current Church, sees the solution to everything in Scripture, 95 Theses, goes schismatic, eventually starts a translation project of the Bible into German.
>>
>>976564
Because Christianity didn't take well, it was a mistake trying to teach the barbarians.
>>
>>978288
>they're protestant with the exception of ireland + bretons
The Scottish highlands were Catholic up until the 19th century, and many of the Islands still are. I'd say Wales are the main exception here, they probably only converted because the king did.

There was also Celtic christianity which unfortunately no longer exists
>>
>>978179
>>978254
I think you're both underestimating Irish history to say their Catholicism is merely anti-English. Rome had a big influence in Ireland despite not conquering it. I think Plautius said something along the lines of 'If I had another legion I could've conquered Ireland, but what's the point.' So it was lack of interest on the Roman's part, but even so there is a lot of evidence of Roman merchants and such being discovered in Ireland, and of course Christianity was brought over by the Roman Saint Patrick. Ireland had been a center of Catholicism ever since.

And Scotland actually used to be more Catholic even after England became Protestant, but was forcibly Protestant after the Jacobite uprising. Even so the north remains more Catholic.

Funny, the Romans only conquered England but it stayed the least Catholic.
>>
>>978873
>Ireland had been a center of Catholicism ever since.
the early church in Ireland was a different beast to the Roman church. "Full" Catholicism in the Roman sense only came with the Normans.
>>
>>978134
>since it was the era of money becoming an actual thing
?
>>
>>979154
Dan carlin- prophets of doom, 4 hour and half

DO IT
>>
Crippling autism, basically. Martin Luther was an assburger after their own heart on a racial level.
>>
>>976564
>Why was Protestantism so enticing to Germanics and Nordics?

Germanic inferiority complex.
>>
>>976564
>(Double) Predestination
>You're either born with a silver spoon and golden crucifix going to heaven or born poor and going to hell

Obviously the rich German princes ate this shit up
>>
There was always a resistance to Roman dominion ever since they first made contact with each other, with the decimation of their legions at the battle of the Teutoburg forest, to the conversion of the Goths and the Vandals to Arian Christianity, to the raiding of monasteries in Britain by the Anglo-Saxons and they being revisited several centuries later by the ghost of their past in the form of the Vikings; the Protestant reformation was just a continuation of a long established current.
>>
>>976564
Because Catholicism is so foul.
>>
>>979188
>Martin Luther

Catholic friar Martin Luther.
>>
>>976594
You are now aware that Isaac Newton wrote his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica in Latin so that everyone could read it
>>
>>976594
>Correct if I'm wrong, but wasnt a huge part of it was that Martin Luther translated the bible into German
>And then they realized the bible didn't completely match up with what the Catholic Church was stating

No, there already were German bibles before Luther's. That's just protestant propaganda they love to repeat. Just like the myth of a bishop at Trent that decided to read the bible for the first time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_into_German#Pre-Lutheran_German_Bibles
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstrong/2016/01/were-vernacular-bibles-unknown-before-luther.html
>>
>>979830
But why they do that?
>>
File: KJV chick.png (713 KB, 506x4456) Image search: [Google]
KJV chick.png
713 KB, 506x4456
>>979844
Protties have nothing else going for them but lies
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.