[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the history of Prussia. So far I only know this:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: prussia.jpg (15 KB, 376x273) Image search: [Google]
prussia.jpg
15 KB, 376x273
Tell me about the history of Prussia. So far I only know this:
>Teutonic Order settles in Königsberg as vassals
>slowly invade the Region surrounding them, which is Polish
>get defeated eventually
>Poles partition Prussia, it's essentially a Polish vassal
>German nobility rises to power in Western Prussia
>all those Friedrichs eventually conquer all of it
What am I missing? Is it Polish or German clay?
>>
>>973159
you got so many points wrong that I'm not gonna even bother explaining
>>
>>973159
>slowly invading the region around them, which was Polish
It was Baltic, and it was a very quick invasion
>>
>>973215
>It was Baltic
It was Polish. The place has always been Polish, always. This is why it belongs to the Polish people. You're just trying to undermine the Polish claim on the land because you're a Nazi sympathizer. No, it does not belong to the Germans, and it never has. Fuck you.
>>
>>973237
What the fuck are you babbling about retard? Christ you Poles are delusional.
>>
>>973237
buttmad Poles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians
>>
>>973253
>>973296
t. legit retards
and butthurt as well
>>
>>973237
t. buthurt pole
>>
>>973432
this >>973368 includes you too now
>>
>>973159
Ok, no meme here.

>Prussia is territory roughly coinciding with later Eastern Prussia, later Western Prussia is Slavic and part of Poland since 10th century
>Prussia is pagan and Baltic
>Chief Prussian tribes: Sudovians, Galindians, Sambians, Pomezanians.
>Prussians quite advanced despite being isolated as pagans.
>Prussians are at times partly subjugated or independent of Poland
>Poland disintegrates in 12th century and Prussia in now bordered by 3 quarreling Polish duchies (Mazovia, Kuyavia, Pomerelia).
>Prussians raid Poland (especially Mazovia) and are a general nuisance.
>Duke Konrad of Mazovia is an asshole shunned by other dukes who refuse to help him after his shenanigans.
>Konrad founds his own knightly order to face the threat, this is a miserable failure.
>Konrad invites the Teutons as vassals with the agreement that all conquests shall go to Konrad
>Konrad gives them some land (the Kulm land) as a launching pad.
>The Teutons almost immediately break all promises, set up to build independent state.
>>
>>973511
This
Later teutons get anihilated and become servants. Prussian pride
>>
>>973511
cont
>The Teutons continue their conquest partially by genocide, partially by divide and impera and partially by accommodating with the natives
>In some areas the population is almost completely wiped out, in some other almost untouched, several later Prussian noble families stem from Baltic turncoats who turned to support the Teutons
>Prussians rebel several times, twice they almost drove the Teutons back.
>Herkus Monte commands the biggest of such uprisings, he attempts to build a Christian kingdom and even sends envoys to the pope
>the Pope tells them to BTFO, because "lol, good Teutons do good crusade, Prussian scum"
>The uprisings devastate more territories, Teutons start to invite settlers to repopulate areas
>Germans and Flemish settle in the North and the Middle, Poles settle in the South (google Mazurs), they slowly assimilate the remnants of the Prussians
>Teutonic conquest finalized by late 13th century
>Teutons look for more hunting grounds
>>
>>973570
>To the East they have Lithuania, which is still pagan
>Lithuania is strong and bitchslapps the Teutons
>To the South and West they have Poland. Poland is a Christian kingdom, so not a very thankful target for a crusade, but Poland is not unified
>After the 1241 Mongols invasion, the fragmentation of Poland reaches absurd levels
>Neighboring states start to gang up and seize border towns, with Polish dukes too busy fighting each other to react
>Teutons say: We gonna crusade Poland now, lololol. They start their invasions starting with (many) duchies of Mazovia and Kuyavia
>In face of invasions Poland starts to reunite
>by 1295 Poland has a king again
>>
>>973605
>neighbours say: now it's time for all-out invasion
>Brandendburg and Teutons eye for Pomerelia, the Polish duchy that lies at the sea
>Brandenburg besieges Gdansk in 1307
>Poland fights off invasion by Bohemia and the Golden Horde so asks the Teutons to help
>Teutons arrive in 1308, chase away the Brandenburgians and seize the province themselves
>Massacre of Gdansk, 1308
>Poland powerless, Teutons continue to raid, seize other towns
>stalemate by 1333, peace treaty. Teutons keep their conquest officially as a fief from Poland
>Teutons turn their attention on Lithuania, very slowly but steadily annexing its lands
>In the meantime the Teutons absorb the Livonian Order
>Suddenly the order is the strongest state in the Baltics, takes part in the big European power struggles, for example opposing the Kalmar Union
>>
>>973625
shall I continue?
>>
>>973253
>not detecting obvious trolling
>>
>>973629
Yes, please.
Till the point where they became protestant and actually become a hereditary duchy.
>>
>>973629
please do, it's quite refreshing to see non-shitposting on /his/
>>
>>973625
>The Teutons grow prosperous controlling the Baltic trade
>In 1380s Poland is left with a teenage Queen on the throne
>Who's gonna marry her?
>Poles eventually settle for a political dynamite: Jogaila, grand duke of Lithuania who converts to Christianity, takes Polish name Wladyslaw and becomes the king of Poland
>Poland and Luthuania now under personal union
>Teutons go oh shit, oh shit, better lie low now
>Poland and Lithuania magage to provoke war in 1410 and utterly crush the Teuotons at Tannenberg
>The alliance fails to seize any fortress, historian speculate that Jogaila feared that Poland would become too strong and won't need Lithuania who in turn faces growing Muscowy
>The peace of Torun (Thorn) in 1411, minor border changes, but huge indemnity for Poland which ruins the Order economically
>a few minor wars in 1420s-1430s, Poland kicks the Teutons around like a football but again fails to take any Teuton fortress
>>
>>973511
>>973570
>>973605
>>973625
nice fan-fic, m8
>>
>>973707
>fast forward to 1450s, Poland and Lithuania ruled by Jogaila's son, the energetic Casimir IV
>both sides prepare for a final showdown
>in 1454 Prussian cities have enough of the Teutons and rebel
>they approach Casimir who gladly accepts them as subjects
>the cities are mostly German speaking by then, they have commercial ties with Poland and want to trade without barriers
>13-years war, biggest war so far in Northern Europe, lots of battles and shifting fortunes
>By 1466 Poland finally defeats the Teutons, The Teutonic states divided
>Western part (roughly coinciding with former duchy of Pomerelia and Kulm land) goes directly to Poland as an autonomous province, the Royal Prussia
>Eastern part is the reduced Teutonic order, now Polish vassal
>Teutons pretty much never accept their fate, seek aid everywhere, cause problems and rebel several times
>Poles try to resettle them to the Black Sea coast, where's plenty of pagans to fight with
>Teutons terrified, manage to stir enough diplomatic pressure to abandon this project

>>973705
Yeah, sure
>>
>>973743
>By early 1500s the Teutons pretty much degenerated into a and secular duchy
>still wanting to rebel, the Habsburgs discovers them as a perfect tool to meddle with Poland
>in 1510 Albert Hohenzolern becomes the Grand Master, he's half Polish from his mother side and thus palatable to Poland
>still goes rebel.lol in 1519 when international conditions are favorable
>Copernicus as a field commander for the Poles
>Poland absolutely crushes the Teutons by 1521, nothing is left
>What do now?
>Again diplomatic pressure to keep them, the HRE diet rife with religious conflict manages to make one unified action - to support the Teutons. War in the air.
>Albert makes puppy eyes: "forgive me uncle Sigismund I of Poland, I'd be good now. I will sever my ties with the HRE and the Emperor"
>"that Luther guy makes much sense. If I become his follower and abandon the Teutonic order, the emperor will treat me as heretic and won''t meddle in the Baltics anymore"
>Sigismund says: ok you naughty little brat, but behave yourself this time. And when your line dies, Prussia goes to Poland
>1525 - Prussia becomes a Polish duchy with Albert as a secular duke. His son is pretty much raised as a Pole but the line dies out in 1610.
>>
>>973815
end
>>
>>973200
Good post
>>
>>973159
>Teutonic Order settles in Königsberg as vassals
Absolutely wrong.
They've settled on a region near Allenstein and their purpose was to get rid of pagan Baltic Prussians(Old Prussians). They've got rid of them. They've got rid of them so well that we can't even reconstruct their language nowadays.
>slowly invade the Region surrounding them, which is Polish
That was later on. And we're talking about both Polish and Lithuanian lands.
>get defeated eventually
Talk shit...
>Poles partition Prussia, it's essentially a Polish vassal
It's little bit complicated. By that time Teutonic Order was allied with Livonian order(in modern day Baltic States). What happened was that Livonian Order surrendered to Poland(not commonwealth yet) and Teutonic Order was secularised and vasalised by them as well.

At that point they were clinging to the Eastern Prussia only.
>German nobility rises to power in Western Prussia
No, nope no, and once again - no.

Nobility in Western Prussia was almost 100% Polish, however, the territory was likely the most urbanised one in whole Commonwealth and city-dwellers were mostly Germans and Jews(due to Hansa and colonisation). They were loyal to the crown most of the time though.

Eastern Prussia was ruled by "post-Teutonic" Germans and they've eventually got close with Hohenzollerns. When one of the monarch was mentally ill and died childless, Brandenburgian branch of the dynasty offered a deal - we'll accept a vassalage if you'll give us East Prussian crown. Seemed fair enough. However during the Deluge, Hohenzollerns did their trademark approach to diplomatic deals and... they weren't vassals anymore.
>all those Friedrichs eventually conquer all of it
Mostly get it through various deals, if anybody actually fought wars for that land, it were Russians.

The question who's clay it is is complicated because you've had both Poles and Germans living there regardless of borders and states ever since ~11th-12th century.
>>
>>973605
>>973625
The Teutonics beat the shit out of Lithuania until 1410.
>>
>>973570
>muh genocide

Lel
>>
>>973511
>>Konrad invites the Teutons as vassals with the agreement that all conquests shall go to Konrad

Do we know this for sure?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Kruschwitz

>In addition, Konrad I would recognize the independence of the Teutonic Order and its rule over all other conquests made in Prussia and beyond the borders of Poland.
>>
>>975074
Not exactly. They were slowly making overall gains, but they had several setbacks. Also, they failed to achieve anything resembling a decisive victory. Lithuania remained a mortal threat.

>>975228
There are two versions of the treaty of Kruszwica. The one which says that the Order shall be independent is now considered a later forgery fabricated by the Teutons themselves.

Aside from other things, it is on contradiction to the 1249 Treaty of Christburg in which the Teutons extended the Polish law onto subjugated Prussians, in essence making them Polish subjects.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.