[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>christians had access to ancient texts by plato, aristotle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: bugs.png (218 KB, 354x367) Image search: [Google]
bugs.png
218 KB, 354x367
>christians had access to ancient texts by plato, aristotle
>he let's not copy these down
>let's instead copy more bibles and stupid shit stupid people said about the trinity

Seriously how do you fuck up this badly?
>>
>>972204
If they copied Plato and Aristotle rather than the bible you'd be complaining about that
>>
>>972208
>If they copied Plato and Aristotle rather than the bible you'd be complaining about that
not really, because we probably wouldn't have lost the bible if that were the case. we permanently lost many works of plato and aristotle. forever, because christians didn't copy them
>>
>>972204

Christians did copy them down. This wouldn't have been a problem if pagan barbarians weren't destroying civilization and burning books wherever they went for hundreds of years. Should the church apologize to us because they couldn't copy all their books faster than barbarians could destroy them ?
>>
>>972204
idk, I'd be okay with them keeping stupid shit that people said about the trinity if they had actually preserved the other side's arguments
>>
>>972222
>pagan barbarians weren't destroying civilization and burning books wherever they went for hundreds of years
You've really oversimplified history here. The germanic tribes weren't destroying civilization pure and simple, they saw themselves as successor states to the Empire and tried to emulate Romans. All the Germanic kings actually converted to Christianity once they began ruling former Roman territory (most of them to Arianism though).
>>
>>972250
>most of them to Arianism though
which sucked hard.
cathorthodox germanic barbarians were actually awesome and were somewhat friendly to the Empire.
>>
>>972252
>which sucked hard.
As I'm interested in early Christianity I strongly disagree. The thought of any works of "heretical" sects of Christianity surviving makes my mouth water
>>
>mongolians had access to ancient texts by plato, aristotle
>hey lets not copy these down
>lets instead make another skull pyramid

Seriously how do you fuck up this badly?
>>
That's not what happens. Christian intellectuals fondly copied Plato and Aristotle. It's the stoics and the skeptics they ignored, because it wasn't in line with their idealistic nonsense
>>
>>972353

This was actually somewhat in line, well since Plato is the one who helped defined the soul, Christianity only copied it from him. The dualism of the church was influenced by Plato (Aristotle had a different point of view where he sees the mind as something attached to the body)

>>972353
thank you
>>
File: 1449984697199.jpg (63 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
1449984697199.jpg
63 KB, 473x480
>>972365

>re-read my own post
>couldn't write properly and wrote a lot shitty stuff
>thank the same guy i'm discussing stuff with

I am drunk when I don't drink
>>
>>972204
It's not like everyone regarded Aristotle as an infallible authority on everything (except where he directly contradicted christian doctrine) in the Middle Ages.

Wait, this is a bait thread, right?
>>
>culture in history did not do something we consider valuable in the modern age

seriously how do you fuck up this badly?
>>
>>972353
Scholars in Western Europe only had a handful of their works before the 12th century.
>>
>>972415
That is, Plato's and Aristotle's. And for Aristotle they were still using Boethius' sixth century translation of the Organon.
>>
[spoiler]thanks arabs[/spoiler]
>>
>>972473
Back to rebbit newfag
>>
>>972204

But they did copy them...
Do you think that the text by Plato and Aristotle that we have just magicaylly appeared?
They were copied and copied for centuries, by Christians too.
>>
>>972506
Yes the Cathars loved Plato.
had something to do with the pope being the demiurge...

that didn't please the Vatican who ended up burning them.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.