[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best English King?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: King John I.jpg (48 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
King John I.jpg
48 KB, 500x409
Why was King John I the best king in English history?
>>
>>971652
You know it's true.
>>
Is there any male equivalent that can match Elizabeth and Victoria?
>>
>>971678
Victoria was a fat useless figurehead, people remember her fondly because it was during her reign that all the Crown's real power was stripped away and Parliament took full charge of things.

Elizabeth was Elder God Tier, though. Arguably England's greatest monarch.
>>
King Edward II
>>
RAISE UP YOUR GLASS

TO GOOD KING JOHN
>>
File: john_main.jpg (47 KB, 300x395) Image search: [Google]
john_main.jpg
47 KB, 300x395
>>971753

I prefer his brother, Richard. Little Johnny is kind of a faggot, my fellow English citizen.
>>
>>971700
godsavethequeen.jpg
>>
>>971772

Richard was a good figure head, a symbol of heroism, and a crusading warrior king.

Other than that he was a scrub tier king
>>
>>971787

Honestly, my fellow English citizen, even though Richard was a good military leader and not administratively, Little Johnny was probably on the same par as Richard on administration.

You must admit he didn't really manage his French lands well, I doubt Richard would've done any better.
>>
>>971801

John was an excellent administrator, I bring in his rule over Ireland as an example. In one of the few example of Irelands history, their time under John was one of the most prosperous and peaceful in their history. The Angevin lands in France were going to be lost no matter who was monarch.

Richard bankrupted England several times over with his ludicrous war expenses, not including his ransom which was five years tax income for England.

Johnny for the win
>>
Edward I
Henry V
Elizabeth I
Æþelstan
Canute I
Henry II
Henry I
>>
>>971652
Best King was Richard III, just cos he died in battle and was a genuine hunchback
>>
File: Green and Pleasant Land.jpg (475 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Green and Pleasant Land.jpg
475 KB, 1024x683
>>971812

Long live King Johnny then. H-hurrah...
>>
>>971814
>No Edward III
Do you even warrior king?
>>
File: henry V.jpg (22 KB, 250x281) Image search: [Google]
henry V.jpg
22 KB, 250x281
>>971652
Henry V, could have become the next Richard Lionheart, but one who would actually rule England.
>>
>>971772
WE SEEN THE LAST

OF GOOD KING JOHN
>>
>>971652
> expelled the jews

top banter desu 8/10 king
>>
>>972783
https://youtu.be/A-yZNMWFqvM?t=1m12s
>>
File: The-primitive-treatment-o-012.jpg (37 KB, 393x390) Image search: [Google]
The-primitive-treatment-o-012.jpg
37 KB, 393x390
Despite being incapacitated for much of his reign, George III gave start-up funds to many royal societies in Britain, such as the Royal Academy, and sponsored the work of astronomer Hershel, who originally named Uranus after George – it was known as Georgium Sidus (George's star) when it was discovered.
>>
fucking alfred the first and one true english king, jesus christ
>>
File: eyeroll-8-752x501.jpg (69 KB, 752x501) Image search: [Google]
eyeroll-8-752x501.jpg
69 KB, 752x501
>>971817

>hunchback
>>
Edward III and Henry V. I get an erection just thinking about them.
>>
Wasted Potential: Henry V
The Hero England Needed: Edward III
The Hero England Deserved: Edward I

Best of the Saxons: Ælfred the Great
>>
Henry VI
>>
>>971721
Why? He was a dumb useless autist, who only cared about fucking his boyfriend.
>>
>>971652
>Got all autistic about succession and killed his nephew who had a legitimate claim to all the french lands by their laws
>Bretons revolt because his name was Arthur
>Because an English King now ruled over a bunch of rebellious French barons with a very competent French king they all slip out from beneath him
>Hordes wealth
>Taxes nobles and peasants to death
>Fucks up so much that he sets English on a course that will lead to many nobles dying in the future
>It is written that Hell is made worse by his own presence there

Henry II had the worst children possible
>>
>>971812
Th cuck who invaded southern France and than immediately left after achieving nothing? King John was Phillip Augustus bitch.
>>
I like this one. He is a saint you know
>>
File: Aelfred the Great.jpg (93 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Aelfred the Great.jpg
93 KB, 768x1024
Literally the only great English king.
>>
>tfw best English kings were French
>>
>>977366
Besides Edward I and III the best were English.
>>
>>977380
RICHARD
I
C
H
A
R
D
>>
>>977383
Overrated as fuck. Bankrupted England. Fought pointless battles. A bisexual.
>>
>>977543
>bisexual master race

Even better, senpai.
>>
Visited his tomb today incidentally
Just, by-the-by. My cousin wanted to see it
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.