[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this guy so popular as a god? Why do over half of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: YHVH.gif (37 KB, 300x348) Image search: [Google]
YHVH.gif
37 KB, 300x348
Why is this guy so popular as a god? Why do over half of the people in the world worship him?
>>
>>9686
The white were right
>>
The characterization of YHVH isn't popular. Less than 1% of the world is Jewish.

YHVH, Jehovah, and Allah might be the "same" God, but they're characterized extremely differently depending on your religion, and not only that, but the sect of your religion.

If you really want to know why God is popular, its because most people who believe in him actually haven't read the Bible.
>>
>>9798
What do you mean? God is an asshole in every Abrahamic holy book
>>
File: lmao_lawfags.jpg (88 KB, 608x626) Image search: [Google]
lmao_lawfags.jpg
88 KB, 608x626
>>
>>9686
Because he is abstract as fuck, an asshole, his muslim worshippers real assholes, and on the other hand christianism is a pretty much a mix of previous european cults and so on

I'd say people have a thing for domineering assholes deeply ingrained

I particularly like the old testament's and apocalypse's god, because they are such huge assholes
>>
>>9858
What about the gospels?
>>
>>9686
Does anyone else feel super annoyed by the "gods"? I know they exist but, why are they such stupid assholes and liars?
>>
>>10239
Which ones?
>>
>>9715
This. I wish they weren't, but they are.
>>
>>10297
Aren't they all essentially a part of the same family. It's pretty obvious they all came from Babylon. I decided I will love nature and the Earth nut I refuse to worship these lying assholes.
>>
File: golan.jpg (183 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
golan.jpg
183 KB, 852x1136
>>10144
>Because he is abstract as fuck
This might just be it. I don't think there was a god as incorporeal, transcendent and incomprehensible as YHWH before him. It took the jews several good centuries to develop his concept to this level of abstraction.
And when you have a god literally outside and above the entire universe and its most basic rules of logic and time, it's kinda hard for the stone and wood statues to compete.
>>
>>9993
Lawfags are really the worst.

True Demon Ending is still the best ending in the series.
>>
Ahura Mazda and Zoroastrianism in general is so much better
>>
>>10914
I want GSG and its love of nieces, sisters and so on to go back to /vg/
>>
File: implying.jpg (15 KB, 252x233) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
15 KB, 252x233
>>9686

Monotheism is incredibly popular because it provides main patriarch or leader for all to be submissive to. It appeals to our need for authority, and our want for someone to be in charge, helping us cope with a seemingly merciless and frigid universe.

It also plays a crucial role in creating successful societies. I don't have the evidence with me, but it's known that religious communities often survived when non-religious communities failed. Having a central authority and a preset of rules with a ruler who will always be watching you provides for a good society. Make that ruler not human but otherworldly, and people can personalize, project, and see that ruler as something far better than a power hungry dictator.
>>
p p p piccolo?
>>
>>11083
I've never even played a grand strategy game
>>
>>11350
>Monotheism
>is incredibly popular because it provides main patriarch or leader for all to be submissive to.
The latter is not a part of the definition of the former. You need to stop looking at monotheism as whatever you perceive Abrahamic religions as being.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.