[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some historic slums and what were they like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: dhavarislum.jpg (124 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
dhavarislum.jpg
124 KB, 500x293
Kind of like Dhavari today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi
>>
Japan
>>
>>967542
New york
>>
File: walled ghetto.jpg (2 MB, 4716x1754) Image search: [Google]
walled ghetto.jpg
2 MB, 4716x1754
>>967542
Kowloon Walled City

Here is a cutaway... it's an interesting piece of Hong Kong's history. Being neglected by the governments of both Britain and China, the slum grew into a horribly packed and self-governed place.

Look into it more online or at your local library. I am far from an expert on it
>>
>>967542
Rome
>>
File: taudis-zone-1930.jpg (593 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
taudis-zone-1930.jpg
593 KB, 1024x768
The Zone grew in the void left after the destruction of the fortifications of Paris.
>>
>>968761
Actually, it was more like the Qing Dynasty's enclave in British ruled territory (since -technically- Hongky Konk and Kowloon were """"concession"""" so the Chinese were allowed to keep a small fort of soldiers there to keep that fiction up).

But then the Qing collapsed and the fort - now a considerable settlement- pretty much had no official government.

Unofficially however, it had a "council" of all the guys who owned businesses there + criminal heads who met to discuss common issues and sent a guy to pester the british government for shit like drainage, electricity, and so on. It's really an exercise in anarchy.
>>
>>969206
no such thing as anarchy, a power structure always arises, like you said the businessmen and gang leaders made all the decisions
>>
>>969243
Yes but they didn't hold elections and elected a leader among them, there was no "kingpin" nor there was no set date for meetings.

More like
>Uncle Ho, the pipes don't work.
>Fucking shit. In our house?
>No, all the flats.
>Fucking shit, WONG! WONG GET OVER HERE, PIPES DON'T WORK.
>I HEARD MR. KWOK COMPLAINING AN HOUR AGO.
>GET THE FUCKING BOYS TOGETHER.
>>
>>967542
my local city has old jewish quarter, emptied during the war. its really gimicky nowadays, full of places selling falafels and little stars of david. there was even a controversy where a strip club opened in that district, and offered circumcised male strippers on some sort of jewish themed night. turned into a whole incident and the ambassador had to apologize.
>>
>>968743
>>968755

how are japan and new york slums? they're the opposite of slums and well developed.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.