[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are swords a meme weapon? It seems like their popularity really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: y8gZs.png (678 B, 180x260) Image search: [Google]
y8gZs.png
678 B, 180x260
Are swords a meme weapon? It seems like their popularity really only caught on when

>they were being praised in hypothetical scenarios, eg. myths
>they were being doled out as weapons for nobility, such as cavalry
>they were being used in peacetime (duels)

While during actual wars, spear, lance, and pike formations were more effective, excepting cases where archery was key to a battle. Even axes had their moment in the sun, such as with the Varangian Guard, while the sword was only ever a sidearm at best.
>>
swords are bad ass nerd

sword music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1WyBGG_Vw
>>
>>966766
>Ignores the Romans
>>
>>966766

Dueling, sporting, and self defense weapons are commonly more iconic than war weapons.

Ask a hundred people on the street to draw the first thing that they think of when they hear the word "gun", and I bet the overwhelming majority of them will draw handguns, not rifles.
>>
File: Towton sword cut in upper jaw.jpg (81 KB, 601x450) Image search: [Google]
Towton sword cut in upper jaw.jpg
81 KB, 601x450
>>966766
Plenty of swords were found at historical battlefields, plenty sword wounds were found on human remains found athistorical battlefields, swords were mentioned in historical texts, swords were seen in historical depictions.

Pretty much anyone carried something sword-like by his side, simply because they were good side-arms.

The fact that they were not the primary weapons for most people does not make them "meme weapons".
>>
>>968530
This, you cant fight with a bow at close quarters, and pole arms are notorious for breaking.

they were not the main causality dealer but they were often the difference between life an death.
>>
>>968825
>you cant fight with a bow at close quarters

Legolas can
>>
The things about the sword is that it's a tool specifically for war. Think of it as the "assault rifle" of the ancient world. You don't go hunting with it, you don't farm crops with it, you don't use it as a walking stick, you use it purely for killing people. That's the power of the symbolism of the sword anyway.
>>
Fuck you, nigger. Swords are cool as hell. If you ain't down with the rapier I ain't down with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7VWIQCHvM
>>
>>968963

that strike at 5:30 was pretty sexy tb h
>>
>>968842
Legolas lied about his kill count, Gimli was the real winner
>>
File: 1459522333500.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1459522333500.png
7 KB, 420x420
Roman legions
>>
>>970155
>that still only counts as one!
Jealous dwarf detected
>>
>>970254
>dude greenleaf lmao

pointy ears >>>/out/
>>
I don't think something as simple as a sharp stick can be a meme.
That's like saying soup is a meme
>>
>>970264
>so short he can't even see over the battlement
Dwarves don't even qualify as warriors. Go back to jewing out in your mountains and get kek'd by goblins.
>>
Swords always were popular because they're easy to use and polyvalent.

Close to anyone can carry a sword and use it when his main weapon becomes useless.

>Facing an enemy army
>barrage of arrow
>spikes to wait them as they advance
>swords when they're at close range to finish the job.
>>
>>968857

Literally the opposite of what was true. Swords were generally sidearms for peacetime and self defense as op notes.
>>
>>968857
>you don't NEED a sword, peasant. Just defend yourself with your thresher flail until your lord arrives
>>
>>966766
>cavalry
Maybe in the 18th and 19th centuries. For the most part I know that cavalry/horsemen heavy armies like what Iranic people used retained swords purely as either decorative or as minor sidearms.
>>
File: baron.jpg (50 KB, 293x531) Image search: [Google]
baron.jpg
50 KB, 293x531
>>970547
>implying the Lord isn't the one attacking him
Serves him right for not paying my taxes.
>>
>>966766

See: Roman gladius. Far from merely ceremonial/mythological.
>>
File: 1459824120880.jpg (120 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1459824120880.jpg
120 KB, 330x319
>>968857

>Think of it as the "assault rifle" of the ancient world

>TAKE HIM DOWN THE SWORD'S GOT A CROSSGUARD AND BLOOD CHANNELS
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.