[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Encouraged by this spiritual support, Fatih Sultan Mehmed,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: Kusatma_Zonaro.jpg (358 KB, 700x506) Image search: [Google]
Kusatma_Zonaro.jpg
358 KB, 700x506
>Encouraged by this spiritual support, Fatih Sultan Mehmed, escalated the attack, and decided to add an element of surprise: the Ottoman fleet anchored in Dolmabahce would be moved to the Golden Horn gulf by land.

>In early hours of the morning, Byzantine Christians were dumbfounded and horrified when they saw Ottoman galleys moving down on the hills ol the bay. Seventy ships carried by cows and balanced by hundreds of soldiers via ropes were slid over slipways. By afternoon the ships were inside the well protected bay.

They literally carried their fucking ships across land to bypass the Byzantine blockade, they were that determined to take Constantinople. Regardless of what you think of Turks and Muslims, that is one of the most badass things in history I've read about.
>>
>>964902
Nice thread Mehmet.
>>
>>964902
That is one of the things i admire about medieval muslims
>>
>>964902
The Byzantines had done that before to besiege a Crusader castle, no?
>>
File: laughingparrot.jpg (10 KB, 274x206) Image search: [Google]
laughingparrot.jpg
10 KB, 274x206
>couldn't actually breach the Theodosian Walls, despite hiring a German alchemist and siege weapons expert who constructed them a monster of a cannon
>had to resort to bribing a guard at one of the gates to get inside the city

Ah-h-h, the Turkish ""art"" of """"war""""
>>
>>964902
Wow, that's what the Vikings started to do in the last episodes of Vikings on The History channel. Awesome
>>
>>965198
>Ah-h-h, the Turkish ""art"" of """"war""""
You mean winning?
>>
File: 1391908011847.gif (999 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1391908011847.gif
999 KB, 160x160
>>965198
It sounds distinctly byzantine if you ask me.
>>
>>964902
Sorry to break it to you, but they weren't the first to do this. The Rus Khaganate came up with it in their raid on constantinople.
Mehmet was very dedicated and prepared extensively, he must definitely have read about it somewhere in his long study of how to best besiege Constantinople, so he copied it in his own move towards the city.
>>
>>964902
>They literally carried their fucking ships across land
This is nothing particularly rare tho.
The venetians did the same thing in the same period up the fucking Alps.
>>
Varangians used to do this to get their ships across the great Russian rivers
nothing special but still a breddy neat feat of engineering, you should read more
>>
>>964902
This is why I like Mehmed II so much he was not just a general but he also valued science and art. This again shows how creative he was.
>>
>>965198
Yes, that is the Art of War. Zhuge Liang would have approved.
>>
>>965198
>Ah-h-h

Are you fucking Frank Herbert
>>
File: images (37).jpg (25 KB, 469x313) Image search: [Google]
images (37).jpg
25 KB, 469x313
>>964902
>>
>>964902
You want something more badass than circunventing terrain?
How about fucking molding the terrain to your likings?
Alexander the great did this at the siege of Tyre. He transformed an island into a peninsula.
That's right. He fucking terraformed.
>>
>>965127
>>965198
can we stop with this le edurnal angle-tier /int/ bullshit
>>
Mehmed my sultan. You are invading now, you must choose route and attack constantinople. Will you pick blockaded bosporus, or move you ships over land?
>>
File: Ze Carioca.jpg (8 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
Ze Carioca.jpg
8 KB, 257x196
>>965265
>>965525
>>966453
>winning

Sure must have been difficult 'winning' against an enemy consisting of a pitiful skeleton force (at best) hiding in the depopulated and decrepit ruins of a city long past its prime, and with most of the walls being unmanned and fallen into ruin. The fact that the Ottomans had to resort to bribing a guard into opening the gate after repeated failed attempts at scaling/breaching the walls shows nothing but complete ineptitude, cowardliness, and lack of genius.

>mfw Ottomanboos will boast about "WE CONQUERED CONSTANTINOPLE!'

Literally boasting about stealing candy from a baby.
>>
File: Seljuk Sipahi.jpg (308 KB, 1008x1505) Image search: [Google]
Seljuk Sipahi.jpg
308 KB, 1008x1505
>>966823
I agree.. the real glory belongs to the based Seljuks that absolutely btfo numerically superior Romans and were set on Consantinople before the Crusaderfags had to interrupt.
>>
>>964902
God I wish he was less of a fucking Romanfag and just burned down the stupid fucking city to shut up byzaboos in the future.
>>
>>964902
Fucking everybody could do that
It was nothing special
>>
>>968367
>Implying
The Byzantines were already Gauning the upper hand before the Memesaders came along
>>
File: 1456776901863.jpg (54 KB, 484x720) Image search: [Google]
1456776901863.jpg
54 KB, 484x720
>>968437
Then why did they have to cry for help from their big Catholic daddy?
>>
File: ottoman empire.png (51 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
ottoman empire.png
51 KB, 460x460
>>964902
I'm taking a break from writing a paper about the Ottomans and their involvement in the Great War.

They really do have some of the most interesting history I've ever read. They were muslim, but they weren't arabic. They ruled over a lot of Europe, as well as the Arabian Peninsula. They had an extremely multi-cultural empire, and were really one of the most progressive empires around for a lot of their history.

The siege of Constantinople is one of the best parts. Ships across land? My sides.
>>
>>965198
... you're laughing, but they won.
>>
>>965334

yes, everything has been done, nothing is new, everyone did everything before.

>>966823

That's literally every invasion ever in the history of man. When battles were close, the invading army would have spent too much time and effort, and wouldn't be able to occupy or make the people submit. That's why there were a bunch of battles during a war.

All of the European Empires became rich by shooting people that didn't have guns and isolated nomads that barely discovered farming.

>>968481

except they became shit when they tried to be like European Empires, and tried to force all the multi-cultural people to become "Ottoman". They were trying to force people to even put being Ottoman before their Religion and Family.

Which is why everyone rebelled. If your people would rather side with the British and French, then you should know you fucked up big time.
>>
>>965198
Not just any guard. He was a Jewish.
>>
>>964902
The Byzantines did something similar during the First Crusade at the siege of Nicaea.
>>
>>968539
Ottomanism was actually more a reaction against all the population groups wanting nationalism.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.