[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn history? I want to become more knowledgeable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1461329299123.jpg (183 KB, 650x596) Image search: [Google]
1461329299123.jpg
183 KB, 650x596
How do I learn history?

I want to become more knowledgeable of European, middle eastern, American and African history so I have a better understanding of current events and why things are happening now.

Are documentaries and youtube videos enough?
>>
>>1145700
John Green's Crash Course videos are all you need
>>
If you want to be "more knowledgeable" then yes, documentaries are enough.

I would not recommend most youtube videos as they will be of wildly varying quality (moreso than documentaries).

Alternatively, try schoolbooks or history books.
>>
>>1145722
this is good for an overview of world history, it gets a lot of shit on /his/ but it's very accessible and entertaining. He has 10-15 minute videos on a range of topics, starting with the beggining of human history and going up to the present day. If any particular topic he covers catches your imagination you should dig deep in it - read books etc. Bear in mind that Crash Course videos are very short and skim over large time periods of time, but it sounds like you sort of want an overview up to the present to better understand current events today. so CC is good for that. Here is the playlist for crash course world history playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDA2E52FB1EF80C9
>>
>>1145722
>>1145775
No, Don't watch John Green, he injects modern politics and social views into everything rather than just stating what happened. His video on Alexander the Great claims he isn't Great and that Great is wrong because there are no Great Women.
>>
File: Katharina_II.,_die_Große.jpg (87 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
Katharina_II.,_die_Große.jpg
87 KB, 400x500
>>1145789
> there are no Great Women.
>>
File: Bible.jpg (52 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Bible.jpg
52 KB, 600x450
Start with this book.

It covers the beginning of man's history and most important events.
>>
>>1145700
The higher percentages in Muslim countries comes from the fact that they historically wiped with a fistful of pebbles and they're kinda big on ritualized ablutions.
>>
>>1145722
I know this is sarcasm, but take Mr. Green with a mountain of salt. His mu-male liberal ideals are forced into everything he talks about. He also seems to know only the basics. Basically, it's great for middle-school information at best. If you need to be spoon fed the introductory stuff - he's the guy.
>>
>>1145700
Yes, documentaries and videos will give you a very broad understanding of things, but if you really want in-depth knowledge, read you lazy bastard.
Also your viewership should not be exclusive to only one man's opinion, make sure to check other interpretations too
>>
>>1145722
He's biased, but at least he gives you the tldr.
A good one is this Azeri guy (never thought i'd say that). He's exactly what you need. He goes trough history, geography and sociology to explain modern geopolitics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6rSljTwdU
This dude is good.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/BlastfromthePast/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrWho45000vr/videos
Try watching BCC documentaries about history as they at least try to be objective, if you want an alternate point of view try RT documentaries. Al Jazeera documentaries... check them out, i didn't watch a lot of them, but i like them less then Russian ones. Keep in mind that everything will have some sort of bias.
>>
>>1145700
They're good for giving you the big picture of history and develop an understanding of the big events that shaped history.

From there, you'll have to specialize though, and pick what fields you're really interested in and buy books.
>>
>>1145844
He goes into that and gets offended that the only great women weren't great or something

watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsrkWDCvxg
>>
>>1145789
That's not what he said at all
>>
>>1145875
Sure thing Peeter
>>
>>1145700
>cleanly Turks
>disgusting dutch
>>
>>1146016
>Patreon
Doesn't he already get enough money from his shitty books?
>>
>>1146016
>Starts talking about kim kardashian
how can people seriously watch that?
>>
>>1145789
Actually nobody cares about that outside of 4chan, it's a minor issue at worst.
>>
>>1146178
It's not for seriously watching it, that's the point. It's for normies.
>>
>>1145700
I am Dutch and I can confirm this has some truth to it.

Guess what, we're generally a healthy populace.
>>
>>1145700
Buy a western civ college text book from half.com or the ilk. Read it on the shitter. After you have a gist of things, buy more books on eras/countries of focus that you're interested in.

Be wary though, historicity isn't just read Joe Shmoe Phd at whatever university's book and calling it a truth. If you really want to get into things, you need to read primary sources and make your own conclusions.
>>
>>1145700
>turks lying again
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>1145878
>>1145775
>>1145789

I tried before and disliked the stupid jokes.

Also hate history being taught when there is an agenda being pushed and the teacher or whatever is telling me how I'm supposed to feel. Like how whites/muslims are bad because crusades or colonisation and shit.

I just want something as least unbiased as possible, I know it can't be unbaised but i want it as far away from the left and right as possible.

>watching crusade documentary
>obvious intent to bash christians for massacres
>watching another crusades video
>obvious intent to refute said crusader videos that they are wrong and the muslims were in fact evil

just tell me the facts and let me make up my own mind.
I have a feeling I have to do the research myself and delve into primary sources instead of relying on other people relaying facts.

Before you say it, yes I can not form coherent sentences and convey my thoughts clearly.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.