[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome during the late Republic and Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: rom.jpg (164 KB, 527x714) Image search: [Google]
rom.jpg
164 KB, 527x714
Was the city of Rome really such a disease-ridden cesspit as it is usually depicted?
>>
sorry i only answer these types of questions if they are phrased 'redpill me on x'
>>
>>963165
>'redpill me on x'

There should be an automatic ban for this or at least a wordfilter into "buttfuck me please".
>>
Bump out of interest.
>>
>>963165
It probably would have looked a lot like Beunos Aires today
>>
>>963498

How does Beunos Aires look today?
>>
>>963505
A city full of stunningly beautiful buildings, inhabited by desperately poor people who are increasingly susceptible to demagoguery
>>
>disease-ridden cesspit as it is usually depicted?

If anything it's depicted as too clean.
>>
>>963165
Yes. Though ancient demography is a problematic subject it is often suggested that the only reason the city's populated managed to even remain static (let alone grow to the million or more that it eventually had) there had to be constant migration into the city from elsewhere.
>>
>>963165
In general, yes. It was an organized city; clean as it could be possible to be at the time. The central areas were of a unique beauty. However, grew too much, crowding a mass of tenements on the outskirts, and its sewage system was overwhelmed. At several points it became verticalized, at sites that came to house tiny and miserable apartments.

Too many people, too much sewage, and insufficient planning. The smell was an inevitability.
>>
>>963165
I'm not clear what you're imagining it to be, but consider that city sizes depends strictly one the availability of water and sewerage.
This means that most areas were tolerably clean, as clean as you'd expect any small village to be, smell aside. Try to look up how big cities in the poor parts of Asia are now, and make them a bit cleaner: that's how Rome was.
When the aqueducts and cloacas were damaged and destroyed in the 5th century the city was downright abandoned, it lost something like 80% of its population.
>>
By modern standards it would be dirty to most people. You have to open your mind to what they may have been used to. It wasn't probably so bad. I'm sure the fish market was a horrendous place. Could you imagine having to work there day in day out. On a pre antiseptic existence roam as a whole I would think was completely tolerable
>>
>>964366
>I'm sure the fish market was a horrendous place
Same as now. What would make it worse back then?
>>
>>964423

I don't know, perhaps the complete absence of ice and/or refrigeration?
>>
>>964551
>complete absence of ice
You do realize that the ice trade has been a thing in the med since before Rome was founded right?
And also outside fish markets are not refrigerated beyond ice in the fish boxes.
I mean yeah it reeks something fierce, but that's it.
>>
>>964575
Yeah because I'm sure your typical Roman fish monger would be able to afford ice
>>
>>963172
There won't, look how the cuck wordfilter was reversed, yet baka desu senpai remains
Pretty indefensible appeasement to pure cancer
baka tbqh senpai
>>
>>964692
It's a fun word though, mostly because people got tired of faggot, nigger, etc.
>>
>>964701
yeah but it brings with it five dozen thousand australians posting black dicks all over the front page

if it was just a random insult nobody would care, but it's an entire idea
>>
File: JkrBSr8 (1).jpg (267 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
JkrBSr8 (1).jpg
267 KB, 1920x2560
>>963172
red pill me on this rule change
>>
>>963165
Most European cities prior to 1850 smelled like shit all summer.

Not everyone lived in an all marble villa attended by fifty slaves

Rich people preferred not to have their toilet connected to the sewer because it would flood every so often and rats would occasionally climb up the toilet

The sound of everyone screaming, carts riding over the pavement and animals everywhere could rival a modern city.

Death in a traffic accident was a real risk.
>>
Side-question: How were Muslim areas in terms of smell? They had high standards of hygiene, so I imagine it was better.
>>
>>963165
Cities were always disease-ridden cesspits until oh...about 1920-1950.
>>
>>965070
Not that much better considering how most of the big cities in the muslim world are today.
>>
>>965122
>considering how most of the big cities in the muslim world are today
>today
That...that's not how history works.
>>
>>963165
Your biggest problem was someone throwing a piss pot ten stories out of an insula and it fracturing your skull.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.