[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone translate this to latin for me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Imperial_Navy_Fleet_Symbol.jpg (59 KB, 474x276) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Navy_Fleet_Symbol.jpg
59 KB, 474x276
>Resolute Blue Sword

Greetings from /tg/. For a 40k game I'm going to be playing in I wanted to name an extremely ancient ship in latin, and I'm pretty damn sure Google Translate isn't going to do the trick. Any chance one of you can help?

Also, "of the Emperor" was somewhat implied in this ship's naming if that makes a difference at all.

[spoiler]Google gave me Caerula Gladium Obstinata and that's my current placeholder name. I'm about 98% certain that it's absolutely butchered though.[/spoiler]
>>
>>962815
Evidently spoilers don't work in /his/. I learned something tonight.
>>
>>962815
Confirmatus Caeruleus Gladius seems about right. The grammar is a little off in the Google translation because it thinks you're describing the colour blue as resolute. I might be wrong, though.
>>
File: super fun warning.jpg (52 KB, 600x838) Image search: [Google]
super fun warning.jpg
52 KB, 600x838
>>962910
That sounds likely. I mean, Google Translate is handy for getting the basic gist of something across but I've never trusted it to provide anything better than say terrible Engrish style translations like pic related. Though it has helped me speak to people who don't speak English before (after prefacing with something like "I'm using Google Translate, please forgive me if I sound stupid."

Thanks for the translation though. I'll keep a casual eye on the thread in case anyone else speaks up, but I'm not really expecting or needing perfection for this. Just something that doesn't sound like an utterly butchered translation lol
>>
>>962910
Confirmatus sounds a bit weird, you better not try to translate Resolute, since I don't think it's a Latin word. Use Obstinatus instead.
If you don't want to use Gladius due to it reminding specifically the Roman sword, you can use blade, Lamina.

In Latin adjectives need to agree with the noun, I'm not sure about Gladius, but I think Lamina is feminine. Also, the order is different than in English. So we would have Lamina Caerula Obstinata.
>>
>>962815
I would say Gladius Caeruleus Obstinatus. The sword is the first word as it is the subject noun, and the adjectives follow. Though obstinatus is a perfect passive participle form of obstino, but grammatically behaves like a second declension adjective.

>>962910
>Confirmatus Caeruleus Gladius
Confirmatus doesn't mean resolute, and the word order is off.

>>963287
>Lamina Caerula Obstinata
This is also grammatically correct, though I checked lamina from a dictionary and it says it is used with the meaning of "sword or knife" only in a poetic sense, and has around bazillion other more common meanings that do not mean a sword. So I wouldn't use it, since it is the kind of word that needs to appear in a larger context to catch its meaning.

Also just to note, caeruleus can also be written caerulus, and therefore caerula could also be written caerulea. Caeruleus/caerulea is the more common form but caerulus/caerula is not wrong either.

Also I have to say that since Gladius Caeruleus Obstinatus has the masculine endings, it sounds perhaps more manly and warlike as a name than Lamina Caerula Obstinata, which gives off a feminine air and a vague meaning.
>>
>>962815
>>965086
Oh and to add,
>Also, "of the Emperor" was somewhat implied in this ship's naming
Resolute Blue Sword of the Emperor would translate as Gladius Caeruleus Obstinatus Imperatori if you wanted to know that as well. ("Of the" is translated with the genitive case.)
>>
>>963287
>>965086
>>965107
OP here, thanks for all the info.
>>
>>962815
Pedicabo vos et irrutambo
>>
>>962815
>blue

Shit tier taste in spess marines.
>>
>>967562
Not space marines, Imperial Navy. Also, the character this is for is actually retired Navy and joining the Inquisition, this is just for the ship he spent a good quarter of his life on.
>>
>>968354
Why Resolute Blue Sword?
>>
>>968393
The ship was built early during the Great Crusade and is a Vengeance Grand Cruiser design. Blue because Navy, sword was sort of representative of battle/tool for war, and resolute for the idea that it will never fall, an unwavering sword fighting for the Emperor until the end of time.

I mean, some of the canon ships have similar idealistic names, while others have names based more on something personal or a significant event.
>>
>>968407
Ah, makes sense. Well just remember, rule of cool seems to be the standard when making up High Gothic terms rather than actual latin translation. Plenty of room for you to cherrypick.
>>
>>968421
Of course. The ship is also nearly ten millennia old, so certain language conventions may have changed over time. I didn't want to use straight up "dog latin" (a la Harry Potter spells) but flawed latin isn't entirely out of the question.
>>
>>968490
As a take it or leave it suggestion, I always enjoyed names that lend themselves to the ship getting a nickname from the ratings and enlisted crew aboard. An example of this would be the HMS Indefatigable in Hornblower, which all the crew referred to the as 'the Indie'.
>>
>>968510
Heh, thinking about "Gladius Caeruleus Obstinatus" for a few minutes got me "Glad Cob" lol
>>
>>968527
Haha, and why not? Sounds like the sort of thing some cockney hive trash in the boiler-room might start referring to it as.
>>
>>968541
Especially if the paint was fading in some parts or something. Despite being old as fuck the Vengeance class ships aren't likely kept up to snuff as much as the ones in active combat. They probably just make due with what they have until something goes seriously wrong to the point where they definitely need to repair it.
>>
>using Google translate for latin
Also OP, you probably could have figured this out yourself using only wiktionary, since the most complicated thing about this is finding the right form of the adjectives.
>>
>>965107

Should be imperatoris*
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.