[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any accounts of wonder-workers in Islam? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: medium.jpg (27 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
27 KB, 500x365
Are there any accounts of wonder-workers in Islam? I've read many in Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhism, but Islam seems to have nothing of the sort, and believe me, I searched. Anyone can give me any examples or sources?
>>
>>962769
Did you look for Sufi saints? Also, traditionally Muslims accepted saints and their miracles of Christians and sometimes Sikhs, making pilgrimages to their shrines as well.
>>
>>962833
I've come across some vague claims about Sufis, but it was a pain in the ass to find anything substantial. Furthermore, I didn't know how accurately it reflected orthodox Islam since Sufism is met with such controversy in the religion.

Also, what are some Christian and Sikh miracles Islam accepts?
>>
>>962858
>orthodox Islam
Until modern times, there wasn't so much orthodox Islam as a small top layer of orthodox legal traditions and the masses influenced mostly by Sufi mysticism and local syncretism.

You'll have to ask your local Sufi lodge for examples. There's an online Sufi wiki as well that might help.
>>
All the muslims in south east asia were converted by showing them miracles.
>>
>>962886
Thanks, surprised I didn't think to look up a wiki. Googled it now, I think: http://www.sufiwiki.com/Main_Page

Is that it?
>>
>>962858
>what are some Christian and Sikh miracles Islam accepts?
The ones performed by Jesus, including non-canonical ones of Gnostic origins like making birds out of clay and speaking in the cradle.
>>
>>962909
Seems like it. I'm no Sufi and not one for mysticism in general so I can't exactly vouch for it, so good luck.
>>
The Mandinka were converted to Islam when a wandering sufi saint spontaneously made it rain after a long drought, with the condition of destroying their pagan idols
>>
>>962769

If you read Gertz's "Islam Observed" (which is short and absolutely worth reading anyways), he describes Marabouts in Morocco who drew almost all of their spiritual and religious authority from perceived miraculous powers.

He also describes a figure in Javan Islam called Sunan Kalijaga, who has magical and miraculous legends attached to his name.

Baraka has been occasionally understood as a kind of magical power capable of, for example, miraculous healing.

There are probably much better examples but that's the extent of my ability to answer. Wonder workers, magical healers and prophets are basically ubiquitous: they pop up in every society, and are often worked into the theological system of the day.
>>
>>962938
>I will save you from starvation if you do what I want
How selfless.
Nothing ever changes.
>>
>>962938
>be semi competent meteorologist
>see that rain is coming
>use it as excuse to perform "miracle"
>>
>>963017
Not even a competent meteorologist, just someone unconsciously perceiving the conditions likely to result in rain. see animals acting weirdly before earthquakes etc. The selection pressure seems plausible.
>>
>>963017
>>963043
>see virgin mary in a cloud
>shits self
>>
>>962769
Sufis did that to convert people out of the reach of the Muslim conquests, so South East Asia, Central Asia and also north of the Caucus mountains, so Chechnya.
>>
>>963017
The old Connecticut Yankee gambit never gets old.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.