[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The beauty of annihilation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: preview.jpg (27 KB, 178x216) Image search: [Google]
preview.jpg
27 KB, 178x216
Okay /his/ I need some suggestions. I am currently writing a college assignment regarding World War One and the art it inspired. To close the paper I must sum up the impact of the Great War in a single word. While I had some ideas I would like to see what yall would have in mind.
>>
>>962639
>despair
basically, everyone saw the war coming, but nobody could do a thing to stop it
>>
>>962639
>To close the paper I must sum up the impact of the Great War in a single word.
Cunt
>>
Poopie
>>
>>962639
Attrition
>>
Rats
>>
Progress.

Seriously, that's the consequence of war. Rarely does war leave humanity in a lesser state than it was before. WWI launched the aeronautics industry decades forward in the blink of an eye. WWII took nuclear power from the dream of a few teams of scientists working with inadequate funding in university laboratories, to an immediately and terrifyingly viable technology. War is good, war is progress.
>>
In closing, the "war crime" comes naturally to the German.
>>
>>962694
Ottoman Empire too
>>
Art nouveau. Paintings music. Classical art.
>>
>>962691
Progress for another world war. Your perception is askew anon
>>
>>962663
That's actually known as inertia not despair anon
>>
WW1 is too vast & multifaceted to be distilled into a single word.

I guess... nightmare/nightmarish? It touches on the way Europe somnambulantly marched towards the war, how reflexive the machinery that made it possible was. How natural even.

It also implies the 'unimaginable' quality of the war in its sheer horror & brutality. It was quite literally something nobody had ever seen before in its terrifying murderous scale. That's reflected in the art a lot too I think. A lot of WW1 art drifts away from simple realism and takes on a representational quality try and capture the abstract visceral horror of the war, very much like a nightmare.

I hope this helped
>>
>>962721
What art are you referring to anon?
>>
>>962663
More like literally everyone wanted that war and nobody could envision what a gorefest it would be.
>>
File: 15-Nocturnal442.jpg (110 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
15-Nocturnal442.jpg
110 KB, 442x600
>>962732
Otto Dix comes to mind immediately (pic related), but the whole Dada movement was very abstract & directly in response to disillusion & horror following WW1.
>>
>something nobody had ever seen before in its terrifying murderous scale.
>implying war is unprecedented
>>
>>962750
WW1 WAS unprecedented.

It was really the first industrial war in all of human history. Compound this with the fact that Europe had been basking in the prosperity of a relatively peaceful era since the conclusion of the Napoleonic wars nearly a century earlier, it made the horror of a full-scale european conflagration that much more terrible. It's like if we had another world war today. The carnage would be something NOBODY could prepare themselves for.
>>
>>962732
Poetry, novels, monuments, and paintings/etchings
>>
>>962750
>implying war is unprecedented
The scale was entirely off the charts. 6,000 dead per day (soldiers) on average and the war raged for 4 years. That's what, 8-9 million deaths?

The 30 years war had 8 million deaths including civilians in 30 years.
>>
peace is only prep time for the next war
>>
>>962737
Dix's work really helped structure my paragraphs regarding painting. The darkness and despair portrayed in his works reslly drives home the overall horrific atmosphere of ww1. In contrast I also analysed Paul Nash's work. His landscapes and the warn color and blue sky's utilised in the works embodied a feeling of beauty among annihilation.
>>
>>962710

And what wonderful things that war will give us
>>
>>962768
War is war. Humans have died on massive scales back through time immemorial. You only have to take population and death toll into account. Statistically many wars correlate back through time and are comparable to ww1. How they die is really a variable. There is probably more art that expresses perseverance than the latter
>>
>>962639
> To close the paper I must sum up the impact of the Great War in a single word

Jesus, what a gimmicky assignment

>perturbative
>>
>>962828
The bitch of it is this paper is just for extra credit xD. I had to do my actual assignment over the world war 2 American Homefront. (Which fucking blows because being a History major and war historian I craved to talk about something like Operation Overlord or the battle of bulge in detail but instead I had to write a fuckin 12 page paper about industrialization, women's rights, distrust, and Japanese interment)
>>
>>962825
>War is war

Yeah, but its not. The Boer War & the Crimean War aren't comparable to The Great War. There are degrees. The way WW1, in the sheer scale of its carnage, in the way it upended entire societies, changed the course of history is something IMMENSE. The way it registered on the consciousness of the people who lived through it. We can see that through the art they made, the letters they wrote, the statues they built.

Your "war is war" statement is a transparent tautology.
>>
File: Dresden.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Dresden.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>962825
>War is war
>guys fighting with sticks really is no different
alright
>>
Anus.

Also Fuck you kid, obviously in high school, do your own shitty hw
>>
>>962879
Also fuck you, I'm a freshman at the University of Houston. All I wanted was some feedback so kill yourself :)
>>
File: 382_1ron_perlman_1.jpg (527 KB, 890x1200) Image search: [Google]
382_1ron_perlman_1.jpg
527 KB, 890x1200
>>962868
War....war never changes
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.