[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best board for military history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: thebalkansdotjpeg.png (1 MB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
thebalkansdotjpeg.png
1 MB, 1000x750
So basically the three boards that talk most about this subject is /his/, /k/ and /tg/.
I know that /his/ is very much a board dedicated to history, but it seems that the military side of things on here revolve around pitting two hypothetical armies against each other or some speculative scenario than I guess a proper look at tactics and stuff.

I don't know, that's just the impression I get.

This isn't a criticism of /his/, just if there's a point in looking at the other boards for this.

Pic mostly unrelated.
>>
>>962417
I'd say cut out /k/ they are good for pictures or weapons or armor but spout crap.

/his/ is kinda shitty but you're likely to get more responses here.

/tg/ is great but sadly a thread there will be archived in a day
>>
/k/ is the best for military history. Hands down.
>>
/k/ is your best bet
>>
>>962417
>but it seems that the military side of things on here revolve around pitting two hypothetical armies against each other or some speculative scenario than I guess a proper look at tactics and stuff.
This is the majority of history discussion on /k/ too. Dunno about /tg/, I'm not some nerd who spends a couple grand on plastic figurines and cardboard.
>>
/k/ tends to be shit until a thread like this comes along
>>>/k/29499459
>>
>>962441

I can't ever remember seeing a real military history discussion on /k/. A lot of equipment discussions, sure, a lot of this tank vs that tank, or the same for rifles or planes or whatever, but if you want to talk about military organization; command, communications, and control; you want to talk about why this country developed X doctrine whereas another country developed Y doctrine, you tend to just watch the tumbleweed fly by if you try it on /k/.
>>
>>962417
i just talk about it on here, just start a thread.

i used to make threads about the roman empire on /pol/, pre /his/ roman /pol/ was the best thread on the site. if you start a WWII thread on /pol/ you will get guaranteed replies as well, the flags let you see what country they are from so it is pretty interesting how much the perspectives on the war vary from country to country.
>>
>>962476
Huh, that's a pretty good thread. I don't go on /k/ a lot, so I didn't know they had threads like that.

>>962489
I don't really see that a lot on /his/ either, hence why I'm asking.

>>962492
That was what I generally do, but I was just wondering about other boards. Why'd you stop your Roman threads?
>>
Here.

>>>/tg/46503913
>>
File: ww2 American ASM.jpg (116 KB, 1024x796) Image search: [Google]
ww2 American ASM.jpg
116 KB, 1024x796
>>962476
That guy who does aerospace history threads is pretty cool too.
https://www.tumblr.com/search/kplanes
>>
File: Strategy and Tactics of WWI.png (1 MB, 2048x3612) Image search: [Google]
Strategy and Tactics of WWI.png
1 MB, 2048x3612
>>962489
Here's a bit of /k/autism.

They're probably the best.

>>962531
>tactics
They're more about the weapons, armor, what fiction gets wrong. They don't do tactics very much from what I've seen.
>>
>>962531
you fucking madman, there's already been enough /his/ inspired, retarded, reductivist /int/ernational ersatz dick-measuring bullshit derailing the thread recently
>>
>>962559
>>962562

The fuck? The HWG is the best place to get information.
>>
File: -YuchiJingde.jpg (13 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
-YuchiJingde.jpg
13 KB, 256x256
>>962441
>>962445
>/k/ is the best military board.
Yeah, in the modern sense.

Go back past the 19th century however and their meme history knowledge start showing up.
>Plate armor is too heavy
>Katana is a shit sword, le shit steel
>Arabs cant fight, ever lyl.
>Guns made knights obsolete.
>The recurve bow and attack-withdraw tactics are Mongol secret weapons.

Just fucking yesterday someone was talking of Korean Pirates during the 16th Century. Korean. Pirates. Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>962476
>>962531
Here's the other two related threads if anyone wants to read them
https://desustorage.org/k/thread/29316929/#29316929
https://desustorage.org/k/thread/29240209/#29240209
>>
>>962580
and then someone BTFOs them right? Meme history is practically a given, it's whether or not someone steps up to shut it the fuck down that speaks to a board's quality.
>>
>>962585
Nope.jpg. They still continue to spout shit.

The shit I have mentioned will get you shot down by a lot of posters in Arms and Armor threads in /tg/. Obviously those guys are better than /k/ whenever premodern warfare is being discussed.
>>
>>962476
>>962559
>>962583
Holy shit, I should visit /k/ more often, if only for the /k/autism.
>>
>>962596

>The shit I have mentioned will get you shot down by a lot of posters in Arms and Armor threads in /tg/. Obviously those guys are better than /k/ whenever premodern warfare is being discussed.

Then /k/ must know fuck all about premodern weapons because /tg/ is pretty fucking terrible when it comes to that stuff. Nothing but meme spouting bullshit that makes me cringe and never want to go back that board.
>>
>>962568
I'm not saying that the thread is bad, I'm saying that an increased awareness of it on such a shit board as /his/ can only result in a reduction of quality similar to what has been experienced in several /hwg/ threads recently.
>>
File: 南宋凤翅兜鍪武士.jpg (211 KB, 980x769) Image search: [Google]
南宋凤翅兜鍪武士.jpg
211 KB, 980x769
>>962580
Chinese military history is meme history(Ospreys,repeating crossbows,peasant hordes etc).
>>
>>962649
katana wank is a joke and people are aware of the spears utility and ubiquity. That's a pretty good baseline from where internet weapon discussion once was.
>>
>>962688
That sounds like /k/.
>>
>>962649
Except Premodern warfare consists most of human history.

So I wouldn't say /k/ is a good military history board if they knew jackshit about, i dunno, 90% of fucking history.

I'd go there if I had a question on 1900's shit. But past that it's pretty much American Wank: the Board.
>>
>>962688
Oh reminds me of another stupid shit /k/ believes in.
>Samurai were primarily mounted archers.
>The Katana was never used.
>>
>>962653
How is /his/ a shit board?
>>
>>962507
Not him, but /pol/ has been gutted by several large scale board changes. lol harbor, and the Zimmerman trial, plus the creation of /his/ and /biz/ drove a lot of the genuine discussion away. The election has only made this problem worse by increasing the user base, which wouldn't be a problem if what they were first exposed to was pure shit. Unfortunately, this has killed most of /pol/'s great discussions like the Rome thread or the Middle East generals
>>
>>962744
The worst part isn't the shitposting about christianity, communism, and WW2.
Its that the userbase somehow thinks they're above the rest of the site when it comes to this.
>>
File: The 'Redpilled' Jew.jpg (174 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
The 'Redpilled' Jew.jpg
174 KB, 500x600
>>962754
>Middle East generals
Never participated, but from what I know of /pol/, these can't have been worth fond remembrance.

>so we're all in agreement that mudslimes are shit, right?
>deus vult
>so we're all in agreement that the region should be glasses, right?
>deus vult
>so we're all in agreement that we'd all sign up when the pope calls the 11th crusade (implying the 10th's motivations were different from previous crusades)
>deus vult
>ok, good thread everyone. until next time, deus vult.
>>
>>962688

Wasn't talking about /k/ I was talking about how /tg/ is just as woefully misinformed as /k/

Really the only board on this site that actually knows anything about premodern military history with any degree of accuracy and knowledge is /his/
>>
>>962777
I think there are people on /k/ who know their stuff, but they keep to themselves because of the shitposting.
>>
>>962476
Any treadheads on /his/?
>>
>>962417
/tg/ definitely as long as you can put up with some fantasy bants

I'd love more in-depth military history and strategy threads on /his/ but most of the stuff I read is <25 years
>>
>>962417
>I know that /his/ is very much a board dedicated to history

Ha, I fucking wish
>>
>>962744
Large amounts of shameless agenda pushing reductivism, shit memes from shit boards, a lot of false flag shitposting
>>
>>962417
/his/ is actually a pretty bad board if you want to get actual knowledge. Pretty much like /sci/ is a board for people who "like" science, /his/ is a board for people who "like" history, but not necessarily a board visited by people who actually know about the subject. You shouldn't believe anything that is written here and always question what people say, asking for sources and verify things yourself.

Of course /k/ and /tg/ aren't much better either, but people there are less likely to be under the impression to know about a subject.
>>
>>962772
>deus vult
Where did this meme come from? As someone who actually browses /pol/, nobody says this
>inb4 gb2pol
>>
>>962417
>/k/
>Is the subject about 20th Century military history?
Go to /k/ then
>Is the subject about anything before the 20th Century?
Stay the fuck out of /k/ as much as possible.
>>
>>962417

/k/ should just be renamed /k/ - American Firearms, Nothing Else Allowed
>>
>>963256

The bad christians in a popular movie say it in English, someone found out it would have been in Latin and now le ebin fire and brimstone christian roleplayers just spew it out.
>>
>>963256
>nobody says this
as someone who used to browse /pol/, yes they did
>>
>>963281

nigga you dumb

the mas/k/ot is the fucking nugget
>>
File: 1288696112109.jpg (263 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1288696112109.jpg
263 KB, 675x900
>>963302
>>
>>963302

Go and post about them then.

>hurrrr slavshit
>poor fag
>Muh AR15
>>
>>963256
its allahu akbar counterpart
>>
>>962739
But is't that the truth?
>>
>>962417
/int/ used to be pretty good place, as it's pretty obvious if someone is shilling for a weapon of country x.
>>
/int/ talks about hisotry as well and it can be pretty insightful if you manage to see beyond the retardation that blankets the board
>>
>>964699
>>964727
/int/ is the memest board of them all. All you get is nationalist shit posting.

Have memes gone too far?
>>
File: Pre-Samurai Japan-38.jpg (318 KB, 1605x1200) Image search: [Google]
Pre-Samurai Japan-38.jpg
318 KB, 1605x1200
>>964600
Nope. "Horse archer" meme is from thinking that the Samurai were like Knights: a socio-military elite class emerging from cavalry.

When the reality was even bleaker: the Samurai emerged during the time of the Yamato Expansion when the wars with the warlike Emishi in the north scared the shit out of the Japanese. So the Emperor at the time jacked up the rewards for going to war in the north: basically land taken their is fucking yours. And a lot of men left their peasantshit lives to follow warlords and become professional soldiers.

And that was the origin of the samurai: the only professional warriors in Japan because it was hard to get men to fight the Emishi. They weren't meme horsemen/archers/swordsmen/spearmen they're whoever who took the professional fighter job track. Career Warriors who were usually jack of all trades. Eventually when the conquering was done, some of these men settled with their Generals (who became the Feudal Lords) while others went travelling looking for employers among the elite as bodyguard.

This is different from Europe as the Euroes had zero problems raising professional fighters. The Knight however, arose from the rich, armored cavalry branch of professional fighters of Frankish Europe whose social and military importance increased due to the advantage a force of mobile heavily armed warriors brought to face the multidirectional threats of Viking, Avar, Magyar, and Muslim.
>>
>>962559
I was there.

Gr8 thr8
>>
>>962417
Hypothetical battles are neat but basically have nothing to do with history. It's basically about as intellectually rigorous as debating Gandalf vs. Darth Vader. Just start some threads about specific campaigns and the armchair generals will chime in. I know I would love to discuss Hannibal's Italian campaign (brilliant tactics, poor strategy, and treasonous superiors in Carthage).
>>
>>964746
it wasnt the memes fault - blame the degeneration of intellectual thinking.
>>
k.is.full blown autism, every thred is about russia this shit, china that shit, europe. Double shit, amerika #1
>>
>>962580
>>Plate armor is too heavy
>>Katana is a shit sword, le shit steel
>>Arabs cant fight, ever lyl.
>>Guns made knights obsolete.
>>The recurve bow and attack-withdraw tactics are Mongol secret weapons

This is all true you dunce
>>
>>964767
What exactly made the Emishi so scary to the Yamato/Japanese people? And why are they so rarely talked about?
>>
File: Emishi routing Yamato Troops.jpg (165 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
Emishi routing Yamato Troops.jpg
165 KB, 500x424
>>964997
Many things
1) They like to fight a lot in internal wars so they were very experienced.
2) Better horsemen than the Japanese, also utilized horse archery and hit and run tactics on the Yamato, who at this time were largely infantry armies.

This is why every professional fighter in Japan had to train with all typical weapons like spears, swords, and bows. Because usually the fighting was small scale and it was best if you had everything at hand for whatever the Emishi threw at you.

The Emishi were also the guys who took the Chinese Dao of the Yamato sword and curved it, inventing the family of Nip swords that would lead to the Katana.

3) Also they routed the first few Yamato Invasions, which scared the Yamato to their civilized-than-thou core.
>>
>>965025
Do we have written sources from the Emishi? And why did a people a chain of islands have so many horsemen?
>>
>>965025
Noice, got some more on the subject?
>>
>>962417
/k/ is worthless for any discussion on subjects older than the Mosin Nagant.
/tg/ is worthless for any discussion not involving dice. Especially for history, it's about as good as asking /pol/ about politics.
>>
>>965046
1) Japan is a chain of huge islands. This is not Southeast Asian Islands like Philippines or Indonesia where boats are needed for fucking everything.

2) Emishi lived in Northern Honshu. Which was a huge plain.

As opposed to the autistic Yamato who lived in valleys.

3) Written sources on the Emishi are based off Japanese accounts like the Nihon Shoki.

The only non-japanese sources is by the Chinese during the T'ang Dynasty. Who called the Emishi "Maoren" (Hairy People.). Their PoV of the Emishi is interesting because while Nip's sources pretty much yell HAHAHA BARBARIAN PEOPLE KEK, the Chinese said these guys had a state in form of a tribal confederacy like the Nomads Chinks were used to.
>>
>>962417

/K/ is worthless for discussion of history prior to I'd say 1898, but even afterwards their value is dubious considering how gullible posters are there in how often they fall for bait threads and argue constantly over stupid shit. take a look at the /k/ catalog and I'll bet you'll see at least 4 or 5 threads at the top slamming Russians, Americans, Democrats, or the F-35.
>>
>>965077
That's pretty interesting, cheers.
>>
>>964996
>>Plate armor is too heavy
You can run, do cartwheels and roll in plate armor. It's not too heavy. It's an extremely sophisticated form of armor that distributes the weight across your body, it is however tiring to fight in for long periods and doesn't ventilate for shit, so it gets crazy hot inside the thing.
>>Katana is a shit sword, le shit steel
Kind of true, but not really. The shit steel part is just a meme, but the Katana isn't very suited to fighting armor due to its weight and shape, it is however an excellent weapon for cutting down peasants by the dozens.
>>Arabs cant fight, ever lyl.
Arabs dominated the world of warfare for centuries after the fall of Rome.
>>Guns made knights obsolete.
Handgunners, mounted pistoleers and such existed at the same time as knights for many, many years. While a bullet will nullify plate armor with no problem what so ever, early firearms were extremely unreliable and inaccurate and were by no means the primary type of weapon for a marching army of the time.
>>The recurve bow and attack-withdraw tactics are Mongol secret weapons
The recurve dates back as far as the 8th century BC, and hit-and-run is prehistoric.
>>
>>967809
>Kind of true, but not really. The shit steel part is just a meme, but the Katana isn't very suited to fighting armor due to its weight and shape, it is however an excellent weapon for cutting down peasants by the dozens.
>Replying to shitposts with more memes.
>>
>>967826
>implying it's not true

The katana also has a brittle edge, it's not suitable for fighting armor and it's not designed for fighting armor.
>>
>>967843
What kind of idiot hits armor anyway. Also
>Peasant
>Soldiers
>>
>>968379
There are two primary ways of fighting armor, either you stab into less protected gaps, or you whack it hard enough to seriously injure the guy inside with pure blunt force and hopefully dent the armor. The katana is bad at both.

It should be mentioned however that the Japanese fought with a lot less protection than Europeans, making a weapon that is extremely poor at fighting any sort of armor much more useful than it would have been in the medieval west.
>>
This board needs a Military General
>>
>>962417
/tg/ is only good is you want help for a historical-themed campaign or setting
>>
>>963281
>gee, how come the weapons board on an american website is almost all about american civilian firearms
hmmm, I dunno.
>>
>>962417
Honestly /his/ is the worst board for anything historical right now.
>>
>>962550
guy who does those threads here. There's a couple I'd suggest avoiding (Carrier General and SEAD), and the earlier threads tend to be lowest in quality.

Also, is there a /k/ archive that goes back to early 2014? I don't like whoring out a tumblr if I could just give an archive link instead.
>>
>>971248
It used to be decent. New influxes of people every month, and people gradually forgot that a high level of discourse is expected from here. No matter how repetitive the bait topics are, people still fall for them here. I just can't believe it. It's like it's only last week or so that the same topic appeared. Are the majority of people here that stupid, or do they deliberately take the bait just to repeat the same discussions all over again? I don't know.
>>
>>972874
>or do they deliberately take the bait just to repeat the same discussions all over again?
People like to be triggered it seems, they love to feel angry, they love to feel smugly self superior. This is why people will always take the bait.
>>
>>972881
Yes, you might be right. /his/ is really pretentious/pseud. It's like /his/ inherited such bad trait from /lit/ or something, where back in the day you'd find a lot of terrible philosophy threads (it's probably still like that there, dunno).
>>
>>967809
>however an excellent weapon for cutting down peasants by the dozens.
>peasants.
Way to go answering with more memes m8.
>>
>>963324
it is just memes bro
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.