[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good way to learn to read Latin fluently? My
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 1385838643633.png (17 KB, 367x461) Image search: [Google]
1385838643633.png
17 KB, 367x461
What's a good way to learn to read Latin fluently?

My university doesn't offer Latin as a foreign language, and I've never had a formal class about the language.

Im a total beginner
>>
>>962223
The same way you'd learn a romance language today, starting with gender, conjugation and case then slowly branching out into vocabulary

try the CSCP course from Cambridge, it works fabulously
>>
>>962234
Is that free like mit ocw?
>>
>>962223
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata
>>
>>962223
Why would you want to waste your time learning a dead language? Unless you want to be pope I see no reason, learn Italian or Portuguese if you like the way it sounds...
>>
>>963193
>Portuguese
My fucking sides. Latin might be dead but it's a hundred times better than fucking portuguese.
>>
File: пойдет.jpg (149 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
пойдет.jpg
149 KB, 604x453
>>963217
>portuguese
>millions of ATMs has it's language

>latin
>there's ONE(1) ATM in the whole universe that has latin in it
>>
>>963193
nigga please
>>
Try the Cambridge Latin course it's what I did at school, also listen to the Finnish radio show that speaks Latin, Catholic Church services speak a mixture of authentic and dog Latin so watch a Mass ceremony
>>
>>962234
>>963331

If you NEVER want to be able to read Latin well, by all means do the Cambridge Latin Course, Oxford Latin Course, Wheelock's Latin.
>>
>>963262
Why would he need to learn Portuguese for access to monies when he already speaks English? Silly BR.
>>
>>963371
Well what do you suggest to use
>>
File: latin.jpg (28 KB, 236x235) Image search: [Google]
latin.jpg
28 KB, 236x235
>>962223
>My university doesn't offer Latin as a foreign language

Absolutely disgusting.

I study Latin as a minor and I just love it, but really though it will take years to be able to "read it fluently". I've had lectures twice a week and lots of independent work for a year now, and I can't imagine I'll ever achieve a skill level of having a large enough vocabulary to read it fluently unless we're talking about some very simple texts made for learning purposes. You'd have to study it as a major and dedicate your life to it to become fluent, since unlike in learning "living" languages there is no output from anywhere around you like tv, music etc. and the only moments when you actually learn or keep up your skill is when you sit your ass down and study hard.

Though I have to say it's funny how differently people perceive "knowing a language", though that's not the same as being fluent. I have an English lecturer who joked that if you have to tick a box indicating if you know Spanish, Americans who have studied a couple of courses at school and know how to greet people etc. will just tick it like "yeah I know it", whereas a Finnish person would be like "well I haven't quite mastered the subjunctives yet so can't say I do, better leave this empty"
>>
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/787183/#787522
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/787183/#787586
>>
>>962223
Become a priest and go to the Vatican, they only speak in Latin there.
Alternatively you could stop trying to learn a useless party trick and pick something relevant like Chinese.

>>963878
If you think you'll need your whole life to become fluent in a language then you should probably quit while you're ahead.
>>
>>963929
Latin is pretty good for reading

Gasp

Historical latin works

>inb4 just read the translations like a pleb normie
>>
>>963932
This is why i want to learn it. I want to read Tacitus and Livy in Latin as Mars intended
>>
>>963929
>Become a priest and go to the Vatican, they only speak in Latin there.

Holy shit you are ignorant. They speak Italian and Italian is also the official language of the Vatican, Latin is only for ceremonial purposes and priests only know as much as they need to, they certainly don't discuss in Latin in their freetime. Latin skills of the clergy have been in drastic decline ever since late antiquity you stupid pleb.

>If you think you'll need your whole life to become fluent in a language then you should probably quit while you're ahead.
I am fluent in English, I write and read on an academic level above the skill level of an uneducated native English speaker. So I'm already doing better than you I suppose, or how many languages do you know fluently in addition to your native language? Also like I said (and you should realise) learning Latin is very different compared to "living" languages, because of the very limited output you receive.
>>
File: kWtJzoQ.png (22 KB, 699x235) Image search: [Google]
kWtJzoQ.png
22 KB, 699x235
>>962223
similar question to OP, I took latin for a couple years and was wondering if there's any way I could continue learning by self instruction or maybe an online course. I haven't read any latin in over a year and the last thing I've done was translated part of the Aeneid with a dictionary handy.
>>
>>963193

Not OP, but I need it for my PHD. This thread interests me for that reason, and Latin sounds great and you can read untranslated Latin texts if you know it.
>>
>>964234
Ive considered getting a copy of The Annals by Tacitus and a Latin to English dictionary and trying to figure it all out, but idk if that is an effective learning method

I seem to recall reading a documentary on some early American inventor, Robert Fulton perhaps, and it said that he learned Latin by translating the Bible.
>>
>>963193
>Latin
>allows you to read works by some of the greatest minds human civilization has ever seen
>Portuguese
>allows you to talk to huehuehues
>>
>>962356
Seconding. That and a grammar book will have you up and running in a few weeks if it isn't your first time at the linguistic rodeo (as long as that language at least has cases like german at the very least), six months otherwise. I have too much on my plate now, but my time with it and everything I've heard from autodidacts has been positive.
>>
Technically any language is useless unless you're playing chinese mmo's or move to whatever country you want to live in for a number of years or for life.

If someone wants to learn a language which will probably one day fade almost all together good for them.
>>
File: aoe2ak.jpg (12 KB, 200x179) Image search: [Google]
aoe2ak.jpg
12 KB, 200x179
>>963193
>Portuguese
>>
File: image.jpg (742 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
742 KB, 1536x2048
start form here with some notes I typed ex nihilo
I don't have time to give a comprehensive teaching of it but it should start you out.
There are some caveats, if others see a problem point it out.
Use Wikipedia for more declensions and conjugation. Read even parts of roman writing
The columns I made show endings for declension following from
Nom gen dat acc abl voc, with sing on left plural on right. Hope this helps
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.