[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT:Underrated Generals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: image.gif (41 KB, 324x408) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
41 KB, 324x408
Sherman was one of the best generals in the entirety of American history and pretty much predicted future warfare, yet he's nothing more than a mention in military history compared to lee and grant.
>>
Butt hurt southerners didn't like "total war" ala WWI.

Sucks to be them. He kicked ass.

He does have a giant 30 foot statue in Washington DC though.
>>
Sherman did nothing wrong.
>>
>>961932
His contemporaries thought he was legitimately insane when he predicted the Civil War would have an enormous cost of blood and would drag on for years.

He was so universally maligned that he basically had a mental breakdown.

His brand of total war was the only way to bring it to a close. He understood the nature of the war better than anyone and prosecuted it with a ruthlessness that is entirely above historical contempt.
>>
>>961932
Why is Sherman considered one of the "best generals" in American history when he hardly ever fought an actual strategic engagement against an equally equipped enemy force?

In before >butthurt Southerner
>>
File: currie.jpg (17 KB, 220x287) Image search: [Google]
currie.jpg
17 KB, 220x287
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Currie

>At 2nd Ypres remained cool under direct gas bombardment and organized a makeshift fluid defense and held the line.
>At the Somme excelled in small scale, set piece assaults. By November the Canadians had taken every objective asked of them.
>At Vimy Ridge successfully executed one of the first creeping barrages. Innovated new counter-battery techniques.
>Knew Passchendaele would not be worth the cost and argued with Haig.

"To those who fall I say; you will not die but step into immortality. Your mothers will not lament your fate, but will be proud to have borne such sons. Your names will be revered for ever and ever by your grateful country, and God will take you unto himself. Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage. On many a hard fought field of battle you have overcome this enemy. With God's help you shall achieve victory once more."

t. Maplenigger
>>
File: vimy-barrage-map-extract.png (2 MB, 1426x621) Image search: [Google]
vimy-barrage-map-extract.png
2 MB, 1426x621
>>962097

Damn straight.

Also had a big scale model of Vimy built, and all Canadian soldiers marched through so they had an idea of the terrain. Authorized a much larger scale of issue of trench maps (right down to sergeants) to improve everyone's understanding of the operation (the British were quite nervous about that last one, as they never trusted their Other Ranks with intel).
>>
>>962097
>>962119
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Currie
>After examining the battlefield, Currie protested, saying that the village could only be taken at a cost of 16,000 Canadian casualties, was not strategically significant[22] "and we have to know if the success would justify the sacrifices". Haig visited the Canadian Corps and addressed the officers. In his speech he "asked" (not ordered) the Canadian Corps to do the job, admitting that Currie had opposed the plan but that he had agreed after Haig had agreed to provide "unprecedented" artillery support.
>"asked" the Canadian officers

Absolute madman desu
>>
>>961932
I love Shermanposting to piss of Cuckfederates. What are some other things I can use to troll them?
>>
>>962566
A few days ago some guy said that the CSA was anti-white because they wanted to import more blacks, Confederacyboo asses collectively exploded.
>>
File: 1456546748284.png (657 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
1456546748284.png
657 KB, 600x473
>>962566
Pic related.
>>
>>961932
The intensity of his eyes is striking - they have looked on awful things. He seems to be looking at horrors now
>>
>>962614
does anyone have the original of this meme? a marine in a poorly drawn desert battle ground? bit of topic but i need you guys
>>
>>962730
yes i see that now, thats bruh
>>
>>961932

Sherman got a tank named after him. That's not exactly underrated.(Yes, the M4 Sherman line.)

You could also make the same excuse for Chester J. Nimitz, and he has a whole line of carriers named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

Also, Admiral Yi Soon Shin.
>muh Battle of Myeongjang
>muh Battle of Okpo
>muh Battle of Busan
>muh defeating a navy that was fully supplied and equipped while getting shat on, backstabbed and attacked by his superiors
>muh mad respect from admirals long after his death, even to the point of being called BETTER than Nelson (in terms of character)
>>
>>962053
Because he understood war to it's fullest. It's not just kills and routing the enemy army, but the moral of people at home as well. Breaking the backs of the populus is also paramount as well killing the infrastructure.
>>
>>961932

I did a report on Sherman for an Elementary School history report.

Full confessional, I live in one of the states that belongs to the "Union."

But I was astounded by Sherman. His burning of various Southern towns, now that I'm older, seems totally fucked up.

But I agree that he seems very under appreciated in American history (even if a tank was named after him--unconfirmed by me).

The guy, from what I know, seems to have had a knack for tactics that made him comparable to anyone else of his time. And though he did awful things, he seemed able o subordinate certain moral quandaries to what he felt needed to be done--or better yet, what he felt his conscience demanded of him.
>>
>>962758
Exactly (same poster as here:>>962771
)
>>
File: antonio Luna.jpg (82 KB, 268x400) Image search: [Google]
antonio Luna.jpg
82 KB, 268x400
>>961932
>>
>>962774
False.

I am 962771.

You are a fucktard.

Congrats. Go to bed.
>>
>>962788
False.

You are a retardroid.

Go to bed.

That said I'll go to bed too. Also, cocks.
>>
File: FabiusMaximus.jpg (1 MB, 808x1625) Image search: [Google]
FabiusMaximus.jpg
1 MB, 808x1625
Every man and his dog has heard of Scipio Africanus. Fabius saved Rome, and I wish more people knew about him.
>>
>>962758
Nothing which would be fair to glorify or artificially elevate his position as "one of the greatest American generals" in our history. In fact when faced by an equally dispensed opponent like Sheridan or Hood, he was often defeated.

I don't agree with your assessment.
>>
>>962700
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feels-good
>>
File: Amphi-Rome.png (435 KB, 2107x1540) Image search: [Google]
Amphi-Rome.png
435 KB, 2107x1540
>>962832
This senpai.

Not an extrodinary military genius like sulla, scipio, marius or caeser, but far ahead of his time and able to go toe to toe with hannibal, all to save his people and culture.

Ave Fabius

Roma Invictus
>>
>>962734
Yi might not be well-known, but I don't think he's underrated by anyone given how often he's posted here.
>>
File: skanderbeg.png (99 KB, 318x571) Image search: [Google]
skanderbeg.png
99 KB, 318x571
>>
>>962935
Unus homo nobis cunctando restituit rem

Ave Fabius
>>
>>962779
what exactly did he contribute? I watched the film, but didnt really get any examples of his military ability
>>
>>963523
>the Luna Line (trench engineering)
>established the first Filipino military academy
>introduced European style of warfare
>enforced disciple and unity among his ranks (the Revolutionary Army was disorganised as fuck)

well, if you really watched the movie, then it's a good short summary of what he did for his country
>>
>>963585
I felt that despite it being more educational than most flip films, it still pandered to what the directors thought people would like
>le artikulo uno
>over 9000 stabs
>>
>>961932
>did everything he could to save ERE from the Persian offensive and even managed to turn the tables, march to the Sassanid capital and achieve a decisive victory and an end to a war that almost went for 30 years
>is only remembered for losing most of his lands to the Arab hordes
fuck everything
>>
>>963713

Isn't he described as an amazing general during the Sassanid war and then as basically doing fuck all to stop the Arabs?

Dude must have been "fuck my life" after winning such an awesome victory against teh Persians, only to later get zerg rushed by the Arabs. He must have realized that it was pointless to defend the Middle-East from so many enemies.
>>
>>963746
He sent a large army of his best veterans into an Arab trap that had them crushed on all sides in a narrow valley or contained area in Syria. Even against the Persians though, a lot of it was political stuff like Khosaru Parviz trying to have Shahrbaraz assassinated which contributed to Herc bribing him to sit out the war.

Which makes sense sine Shahrbaraz was the only general who could stop him in the first place.
>>
>>962903
I'm not saying he is an underrated general like OP is implying. He definately wasn't incompetent but I believe that he is getting adiquate respect for his achievements and merit deserves.

OP is only posting bait to spurn confederboos.
>>
>>961997
The only people who celebrate Sherman are yankees trying to troll southerners like OP, he really wasn't that good of a general. Never even faced an opponent near his size. Grant, Sheridan, and Thomas were far superior generals. The only reason Sherman is remembered is for taking Atlanta in time for Lincoln's reelection. His "total war" wasn't ingenious or new in the slightness.
>>
>>965815
>Never even faced an opponent near his size.
Mark of an excellent general.
>>
>>964230
>He sent a large army of his best veterans into an Arab trap that had them crushed on all sides in a narrow valley
That doesn't sound like something a great general would do.
>>
>>962053
>Why is Sherman considered one of the "best generals" in American history when he hardly ever fought an actual strategic engagement against an equally equipped enemy force?
Why would you want to engage an equally equipped enemy force?
>>
Why are Yankees so convinced that Shermanposting is effective b8? I have literally never seen anybody reply to it in a butthurt manner.
>>
>>965815
W E W
E E
W E W
>>
Both Sherman and Grant are under-appreciated these days thanks to the influence of Southern revisionism.
>>
>>966191
>southern revisionism

yankees have the biggest fragility complex. Grant is on our currency, Sherman has a statue in Central Park, liberals are taking down confederate statues, and y'all are still whining about muh lost cause conspiracy mistreating your poor union heroes.
>>
>>966191
>Southern revisionism
>in a time where Southern history is literally being erased by people butthurt because of an artificial astroturfed media frenzy about a piece of cloth being literally Hitler
>>
>>966222
>southern persecution
>in a time where texas literally dicides what textbooks schools use nationwide
>>
>>966222
>>966222

Should have been done along time ago. The Southern flag is a symbol of treason, and should be treated as such.
>>
>>966234
So is the US flag you dumb sack of shit. Secession is a quintessentially American principle and was considered as such by both sides of the Mason-Dixon line before the Texas v White. And it doesn't represent secession to anybody that flies it anymore anyway.
>>
>>966231
School textbooks are not representative of academia or the general public's sentiment at all. I will eat my hat if you're able to remember a damned thing that your textbook said about the Civil War when you were in school.
>>
>>963523
Imagine trying to modernize island monkey people with european warfare and fail spectacularly
>>
>>966231
>literally

You realize that other states can fuck off and make their own books?
>>
>>966234
>treason

why do liberals become bootlickers the second the civil war is mentioned?
>>
File: General-James-Longstreet.jpg (38 KB, 546x661) Image search: [Google]
General-James-Longstreet.jpg
38 KB, 546x661
>>961932
>Be Sherman
>Get sent to hold off Johnston during Vicksburg campaign
>Don't do shit and never actually fight a full engagement
>Troops sack, burn, loot, and kill, at random

>Get sent to flank Rebs at Chattanooga
>Take the wrong objective
>Finally assault the actual objective
>Repelled for 6 hours by a force literally 1/10th my own
>Troops rape, pillage, sack, and burn, indiscriminately

>Finally get independent command despite having done nothing to earn it and getting my shit kicked in every actual fight i've been in
>Have to garrison my entire logistical line despite fighting against a force less than 1/10th my size
>Locals constantly turn to bushwhacking out of pure spite for me
>Cost the war department millions "fighting" an enemy who basically doesn't actually have any troops
>Still advance slower than McClellan on a good day
>Only fights I win are scored against 100-1 odds in my favor
>Still routinely take heavy casualties and commit manpower to several failed side campaigns
>Loot, steal, kill, maim, and burn, everyone in my path

>Finally take Atlanta after months of fighting a practically non-exsistent enemy
>Decide to simply continue burning the homes and property of civilians who are no longer even effectively resisting
>Become one of the most hated names in the country doing it

>Never actually fight a real battle on my own my entire career, and manage to get BTFO in anything approaching a real fight I get into

Sherman was a meme general and fucking terrorist disgrace.

Pic related is the true most underrated General in American history.

t. Michigander
>>
>>965856
My statement remains because his actual battles are understandably pretty awful when he faces an equal or even weaker opponent at times.
>>
>>966331
>>966506
There needs to be a collage of all of Sherman's failings in the Civil War.
>>
>>962566
Three men died while Sherman was sitting for that photo.
>>
File: ludwigwilh1.jpg (37 KB, 317x458) Image search: [Google]
ludwigwilh1.jpg
37 KB, 317x458
>>
I wonder if generals ever appreciated a challenge.

The lives of soldiers are hardly the same as game pieces or pixel people but I'd think a general would want his victories to be actual accomplishments instead of an exercise in not being retarded.
>>
>>965853
Basically Odenathus tactics, you can't predict an ambush when you're in a fucking desert.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 300x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 300x402
>Not posting George Thomas
>>
File: 503px-Marechal_Ney.jpg (69 KB, 503x599) Image search: [Google]
503px-Marechal_Ney.jpg
69 KB, 503x599
>inb4 charging without infantry support
>>
>>968149
I don't think an urban battleground is a "desert".
>>
>>961932
Overrated as fuck.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.