[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he meme by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 1536x1010) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 1536x1010
What did he meme by this?
>>
>>960833
It means absolutely nothing. This guy just says stuff that's kind of convoluted and people eat it up as deep and philosophical. Nothing he says is worth the pixels it's written in.
>>
>>960846
Go away, jealous icecalm.
>>
File: 1443997371968.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
1443997371968.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>>960858
Why would I be jealous of autism?
>>
Learning from others' mistake
>>
Maybe it's like a "divided we fall" + cities trading thing? Idunno seems stupid anyway
>>
File: tumblr_lilz7iVwsU1qaiaf5o1_500.jpg (64 KB, 500x467) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lilz7iVwsU1qaiaf5o1_500.jpg
64 KB, 500x467
>Pericles commissions Athenian wall during Athens' decline.
>Athens shortly after falls into ruin, never to recover again.

>Hadrian's wall is built during Roman empire's decline, and is a symbol of defeat.

>The Iron Curtain is built in the aftermath of the Third Reich's defeat.
>Europe, and the world are in social and political crisis, changing drastically for the worse.

>Donald Trump wants to build a wall separating USA and Mexico, during USA's decline.

etc
>>
>>961894
This is philosophy
>>
>>961894
Also, there's Troy/Ilion.

Walls are harbingers of ruin.
>>
>>961894
Hadrian's Wall wasn't a sign of defeat (it was more of a toll way), but a better Roman example is how in the Aurelian/Diocletian era, Roman city walls were built higher and thicker, and previously walled cities were walled.
>>
>>961903
m8 you're uneducated.
>>
File: Map_of_the_Great_Wall_of_China.jpg (2 MB, 2652x2133) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_the_Great_Wall_of_China.jpg
2 MB, 2652x2133
>>961894
What about the great wall of REEEEEEEE NOMADS KEEPS OUT REEEEEEEE
>>
Meme
>>
>>961922
Contrary to ignorant popular belief caused by scholarly deceit, the Great Wall of China wasn't meant as a border. The structure, location, and other human logistics, disprove it as a borderwall.

The truth is that nobody really knows why, how, or for what purpose it was built.
>>
/his/, would you be open to the idea of collaborating on a bombastic, pretentious, overly ambitious piece of internet pseudophilosophy like Mundus Millenialis and Orgy of the Will, just like /lit/ made The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra?
>>
>>962182
the best thing I think we could do according to our subject is write extensively on a fictional part of history, pretending it's real.

And there's already a google docs somewhere on academic-level writing about the Finno-Korean hyperwar.
>>
>>961934
>the Great Wall of China wasn't meant as a border.

retard.

As for it's purpose, you want to know why it's so wide? It's so you can walk entire battalions across them quickly over rough country and free of molestation by insurgents.
>>
>>962219
>retard.

Nice counterargument, buddie. Surely you are omniscient and wise.
>>
>>962229
>Ignoring the two other sentences because you can't respond to them
>>
>>960833
If you're legitimately powerful, you don't need walls to defend your city/state. They're last resorts.
>>
>>962182
Is orgy of the will really that bad? I actually like alex when he's talking about video games. Still waiting for genealogy of game design; hope he's not dead.
>>
>>960833

That people only start building walls and defences when there is danger.
>>
>>963347
*when they perceive danger.
>>
>>963312
I ignored the second part of your reply because it's a non sequitur. Nobody mentioned the great wall's width as a proof against it not being a border wall.
>>
>>961934
>The truth is that nobody really knows why, how, or for what purpose it was built.
To keep out the Nomads....
It just wasn't built fast enough or soon enough.
>>
>>961894
Athens saw the Rise of Philosophy after the wall...
It's true Golden Age, not that fleeting and petty grasp at power like the Spartans.
Wall of China was Built just as they were becoming a major world player.
Hadrians wall was built before the last burst of greatness....
Iron Curtain wasn't even German.

Most of what you said is
>Empires have walls
>Empires fall
>Therefore walls = demise

'true' kind of a non-sequitur.

Correlation = causation fallacy.
>>
>>961934
>I know better than literally 99% of historians
nice meme
>>
>>963312
Maybe because it has nothing to do with the discussion.
>>
>>965543
>The structure, location, and other human logistics, disprove it as a borderwall.

>>
>>965567
>not that fleeting and petty grasp at power like the Spartans.

What?

The Spartans virtually invented philosophy, and were a political and military power centuries before Athens.

Learn actual history.
>>
File: 1456514883561.png (138 KB, 566x528) Image search: [Google]
1456514883561.png
138 KB, 566x528
>>965782
>The Spartans virtually invented philosophy

[citation needed]
>>
>>965805
Why don't you learn history instead of asking for "citations" for anything that you ignore?
>>
>>965782
>>965813

Literally the only philosopher of note from Sparta was Chilon. What school did they found? What impact did Spartan philosophers have on philosophy?
>>
>>965813
Fuck off nigger, either supply citations for your claims or leave the board.
>>
>>965829
And Chilon wasn't even a philosopher in the strict sense.
>>
>>965829
>Literally the only philosopher of note from Sparta was Chilon

The only one of which we know.

>What school did they found?

Spartans practiced philosophy, not studied it. Theirs was a culture of living to perfect body, mind, and spirit. "Schools" generally entail an imbalance in favor of the intellect, giving rise to intellectualism, or scholasticism.

>What impact did Spartan philosophers have on philosophy?

Radical impact since they influenced both the Milesian philosophers, and the Italian ones, and by extension the Athenian ones. Spartans (and cretans, i.e. Doric greeks) were "ground zero" for philosophy.
>>
>>960833
what is the link again?
>>
File: good joke.gif (12 KB, 227x224) Image search: [Google]
good joke.gif
12 KB, 227x224
>>965854
I assume this is bait so I'm not even going to bother with this nonsense.
>>
>>965870
Ok, bud.
>>
>>965870
>/his/ - Dogma & Academism
>>
>>961894
That trump reference is even more retarded than the Abrahamic "gays are collapsing our country" horseshit
>>
>>961894
Absolutely none of those examples are meaningful. Quit this shit while you're ahead bro
>>
>>960833
He's suggesting that fear based reactions are the product of a decaying civilization, which is sort of true, but mostly idiotic
>>
Human history is a history of connections. No society is truly self-sufficient, and the degree to which walls are built is the degree to which the process of internal decay begins. The material conditions of human life require the sharing and trading of resources, and until we collectively begin instantiating this practice on a global level, we will continue to participate in a stagnating iterative process of division, tribalism, and dehumanization at the hands of one another.

I think.
>>
>>965782
>The Spartans virtually invented philosophy
WE
>>
File: 1427653292438.jpg (2 MB, 3840x5760) Image search: [Google]
1427653292438.jpg
2 MB, 3840x5760
>>966768
>>965870
>>965832
>>965829
>>965805
>>965567

https://www.academia.edu/1619268/Doric_Crete_and_Sparta_the_home_of_Greek_Philosophy
>>
>>966825
>academia

do i hear a suggestion?
>>
>>967153
What?
>>
>>966195
/thread
>>
>>966825
Did you actually read that bullshit? Holy fuck, that magazine must be the Greekaboo equivalent of vanity press.

tl;dr
>someone who might have been to Sparta at some point in his life probably influenced Socrates
>also some other philosophers said something that sounds kinda maybe Spartan (actually just Greek platitudes)

This is almost as embarassing as the shitty pamphlet pretending blue-eyed aryans are responsible for everything in East Asia because of Chinese contact with Greco-Buddhists and muh Tarim mummies
>>
>>969908
I think you might be retarded
>>
>>963320
I like icy too but orgy is mostly things nietzsche said but not as well written and mixed with icys weird obsession with pickup artists and other hilarious retarded shit he says, like that bit about fondue or the "no homo" aphorisms or how skater clothes is the objectively superior clothing style and so on and so on
>>
>>969929
No, seriously, read it.
>>
>>970015
I have read it, that's why your post doesn't make sense, which leads me to believe that you didn't read it, or that you have the reading comprehension of a mental retard.
>>
File: 655.gif (60 KB, 350x340) Image search: [Google]
655.gif
60 KB, 350x340
>>961934
>The truth is that nobody really knows why, how, or for what purpose it was built.
>>
File: 017312f.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
017312f.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>970035
Okay, first of all, this is the author:

Lindsay Wheeler
--Armchair classicist, Farm laborer, """Philosopher in the Socratic Tradition""""

"Eagle Scout, Former Marine (Six years active duty), been around the world. lived in Europe for 3 1/2 years. Lived in Athens, Greece; Rome, Italy; Valle Osernone, Ticino, Switzerland (cut hay by hand for three months and milked goats and cows in the Swiss Alps); did five months in the French Foreign Legion; worked on a dairy farm in Denmark.

After Berea College, I worked as a laborer to form carpenter in Tampa Bay/Pinellas Park/St. Petersburg area; built a US Post Office and Synagoge. Worked mostly construction and farm labor in Michigan.

I have a great sense ofTruth and getting to the bottom of things. I have a PHD in the school of Nature.I see myself as trying to preserve true European heritage, culture and civilization against the inroads of Marxist aggression."

So we're dealing with a real authority here. On top of that, this "armchair classicist" admits that he does not speak a word of Greek or Latin (perhaps this is why he thinks "Minos" sounds like a Doric name) and so has to rely entirely on secondary sources and translations. He also missed some historical facts. I started listing them at one point (Doric Corinth in Christian times, chronological errors) but I just gave up halfway through because I need to sleep.

It's unfortunate really. In the 19th century, his idiosyncratic style, meager education, delusional fantasies and intuitive leaps (of faith) would have been more than enough to propel him to international fame, but nowadays such lack of rigor only allows one to get published in a hobbyist's magazine.
This poor man is obsessed with proving that "Doric Philosophy is Natural Law is the Logos", an agenda so obviously personal that there was no need for him to admit it: it can be inferred just from his autobiography above.
>>
>>970529
If this thread is still up tomorrow I might do something more constructive than poisoning the well, but I'm having trouble staying awake and I can't find the motivation to dissect his essays now: he found that "Golden Mean" where he is too crankish and amateurish for real classicists to ever bother with him, but not so blatantly wrong that you can just mock his work without explaining the joke. You have to put some effort into debunking him.

No wonder he complains that "everyone" (Greek philosophy professors, specifically one Greek philosophy professor) has ignored his "research". it's heartbreaking.
>>
>>970629
>>970529
You are a reductionistic, vapid idiot with abysmal reading comprehension.

Please, don't return to this thread, or this board for that matter. People like you are intellectual poison.
>>
epic
I like it
>>
>>970714
holy lel that guy fucking destroyed your meme article.

you look like such a retard for posting it as being somewhat representative of your own beliefs lmao
>>
>>965782
>The Spartans /.../ were a political and military power centuries before Athens.
What? Are actually going >muh 300?
>pastorial nomads who had not yet even consolidated into Sparta were more politically and militarily relevant than Athens who was well on her way in Attic syneocism and probably played a major role in suppressing Aegean piracy, had trade links at least as far as Cyprus and some cultural influence in Thessaly, Boeotia anf the Aegean islands as evidenced by her lead in Middle and Late Protogeometric potteryand participation in the Calaubrian (spelling?) Circle, not to mention the general high level of bronze and ironworking in Attica itself.
Not that Athens had an empire in the Dark Age, not even a colonial one, but they were more relevant than dorian tribesmen fighting, praising and mucking about in Laconia still.

I mean come on.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.