[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the concept of virginity of women important before the abrahamic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 600x600
Was the concept of virginity of women important before the abrahamic faiths spread into europe ?
>>
>>960070

You ever hear of the Vestal Virgins?
>>
>>960076
Nope what are they ?
>>
What is Vestal Virgins.
>>
Protecting the dignity and modesty of your mother/sister/daughter has always been the most culturally important duty of any Mediterranean man.
>>
>>960081

Essentially a bunch of Roman priestesses to the god Vesta (A hearth goddess) who, among other things, were supposed to remain virgins throughout their service. Violating the law would mean death for both the woman and whomever had sex with her, if they could find the guy.

They were Rome's only full time clergy at the time, and were extremely important.
>>
>>960089
I got the idea that it was always an important thing in europe,middle east and north africa but I wasn't really sure it seemed as if christianity really solidified the idea.

>>960096
So it was only a religious order but what about the common people didn't they adhere to the idea of being a virgin till marriage ?
>>
>>960070
It was more chastity than virginity but chastity implied virginity before marriage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudicitia
>>
File: aor16.jpg (594 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
aor16.jpg
594 KB, 1280x1707
>>960070

Yes, it's important to all civilizations. When people were strictly nomadic hunter gatherers it wasn't that important because you had a limited number of possessions and wealth you could pass along. People back then also had different views of how pregnancy worked, there was the belief that multiple males could father one child. Once you have civilization, accumulation of goods and power based on blood lines, virginity is important to make sure people don't feel like they're being slighted.
>>
Yeah. Other than modern day liberals, men usually avoided marrying women with a history.
>>
>>960139
So the romans cared about virginity but what about the rest of europe like the germans and the celts ?

>>960163
So it was basically important everywhere where people could accumulate wealth.
>>
>>960163
>belief that multiple males could father one child
Was this desirable? Mfw orgies to create superior children
>>
>>960217

>Not marrying a rich widow.
Its like you dont want to assure your promising future.
>>
>>960299
Not all of us are prophets mate
>>
>>960304

Or a politician.
>>
>>960304
PBUH
>>
>>960313
Which politician are you talking about ?

>>960314
Mashallah brother.
>>
>>960390

I am talking about the how medieval men seek marriage with rich widows who could bolster their careers.
>>
This is a very interesting topic for discussion, and I mean that sincerely, but do you guys think you could also post more female Greek/Roman statue butts/tits while we converse?
>>
>>960440
It's a whole genre of sculpture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Callipyge
Endless reinterpretations exist throughout history.
Thank me later m8.
>>
File: Bonobo_sexual_behavior_2.jpg (612 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
Bonobo_sexual_behavior_2.jpg
612 KB, 1920x1280
>>960284

Desirable in the sense a female thought she could compile multiple traits from different males to make an uber baby. I doubt a lot of orgies were happening, although it probably did at least rarely, more likely it was one at a time.

Pic related is one of our two closest ancestors (the other being the common chimp which are much bigger assholes)
>>
>>960470
You have done me an immense kindness.
>>
>>960070
>Was the concept of virginity of women important before the abrahamic faiths spread into europe ?
First of all, are you French? Frenchbros always put that space between the last word and question marks.
Second of all, you have to consider an important but understated historical development that was only available in reliable and safe forms since the 20th century, birth control.

I am not a parent and maybe you are not either, but raising a child requires a large investment of time and money, even more so if you want your child to be an honorable representative for your family. Before the 20th century, there were no reliable methods for birth control and hence every time you had sex you had a significant change of conceiving a child. Most people before the 20th century also were not wealthy, certainly not in today's terms where we have almost unfathomable material abundance in the West. In a time where having a child would likely be one of the most momentous and redirecting forces in your life, abstinence became a way to take control of your life. All of the shame and cultural attitudes surrounding virginity arise from this.

Modern humans have existed for 40,000 years or so, and safe and reliable birth control has existed for about 100 years. That is almost countless generations of people whose abstinence would surely allow them to thrive against the lowering effects of early pregnancy and child-rearing.

When you bring into account that inheritance goes from father to son in most Western cultures, then it becomes easy to see how the virginity of women is a universal value in human cultures. It has little to do with patriarchy and a lot to do with more practical considerations.
>>
>>960070
There was a Colombian tribe that looked down on virginity. And women who waited for marriage were looked at as filthy girls.
>>
>>960231
IIRC, Tacitus praised German women on that.
>>
>>960511
Everyone had some form of birth control since ancient times.
>>
>>960070
Even today many care about a girls past
Even the Dudebro Chads care, They want to fuck stacy in their youth and marry a Traditionalist girl once they grow up
>>
>>960511
No I'm dutch but I got used to this way of writing after using word a lot for reports and stuff.
Also thanks so its a way to make sure your wife's child is also yours ?

>>961045
I get the idea that when a society becomes more succesful that people give into hedonism more quickly.

>>961254
I think everyone wants that in some way.
>>
Germanic/Norse people also considered virginity important for the women they were supposed to marry,

>>961254
>Even the Dudebro Chads care, They want to fuck stacy in their youth and marry a Traditionalist girl once they grow up

When I was a teenager, many guys classified girls as "Girl to fuck and girl to marry". Dunno how it is today with all the feminism.
>>
>>960070
>2016
>thinking religions actually bring relevant shit by themselves
>>
>>961319
Then the directors of vikings really fucked up as everyone is fucking everything with a heartbeat without regard to either party being married.
>>
>>961319
>When I was a teenager, many guys classified girls as "Girl to fuck and girl to marry". Dunno how it is today with all the feminism.

Not him, but me too, and I doubt that has changed, but I personally think this is less about the actual fact that a woman is a virgin, and more about her not "giving it away for nothing".
>>
Virginity has always been a crucial characteristic for women and determined their value in society. You can't get cucked by a virgin
>>
>>961358

What is given away has no value.
>>
>>961372
Sure it does. I mean, you could give me a thousand dollars right now, and it would still be worth a thousand dollars.
>>
>>961367
>You can't get cucked by a virgin
Joseph had to raise his wife's son despite her being a virgin.
>>
>>961380

The only way I would willingly give you 1000 dollars is if inflation or economic collapse had made the money worthless
>>
>>961392

>bible
>things that should be taken literally

pick one amigo
>>
>>961393
Still doesn't change the fact that your raggedy-ass attempt to sound profound by using meaningless tautologies failed.
>>
>>961392
God doesn't give a fuck about making sense.
>>
>>961401
His unwillingness to part with money proves that it has value, while a girl's willingness to give away her virginity proves that it (or she) has no value.
>>
>>961411

Oh look, somebody with a working brain
>>
>>961411
>while a girl's willingness to give away her virginity proves that it (or she) has no value.

Right, so if I understand you correctly, every single woman on the planet has to be a virgin until she dies, or else she has given away something that has no value.
>>
>>961401
You got rekt bro.
>>
>>961425

Let me straighten this out for your stupid ass

>That which is given away INDISCRIMINATELY has no value.
>>
>>960070
Yes.

The Roman kingdom, Republic, and Empire all praised those women who were chaste and waited until marriage to lose their virginity. In fact most Romans were even more chaste and prudish than the early Christians. It was the Patricians that had those wild orgies and even then it was rare.

Funny enough, during the Roman Empire there was a book written by Ovid called the Ars Amatoria about the declining sexual moral standard of women in which Ovid essentially gave young Roman men tips on how to get laid, a sort of predecessor to PUA guides of today. The Roman emperor Augustus banished him for the book because it was seen as a corrupting influence and Ovid spent the rest of his living days kissing Augusts' ass in a futile attempt to be allowed back into Rome.

The Vestal Virgins were a symbol of chastity and an example that all Roman women should strive towards.

Also it is a common historical theory that the chastity of a population and their sexual conservatism is what largely keeps that society healthy and thriving.

Should it really be a coincidence that those cultures that thrive are typically chaste and have a strong sense of family? The Roman Pater Familias was seen as the very bedrock of their society and the increasingly loose sexual mores that were becoming ever more common in Rome were seen as a massive problem.

Look up J.D. Unwin's book 'Sex and Culture' where he examines almost 90 different civilizations from various eras and concludes that a woman's chastity is integral to a healthy society.
>>
>>961432
chocolate has no value? I fucking love chocolate
>>
>>961425
If she waits till marriage she would get a husband which takes care of her in return and the husband would have a garantee that if they would get children in the coming one or so years that the children would be his unless she cheats on him ofcourse but thats a completely different subject.
>>
>>961432
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts
>>
>>961434
I'll look that book up thanks.
Also I think that Ovid in this case would be right the family has always been the most effectie way to produce good citizens and prudish morals keep things stable for families.
>>
>it's another "waahhhh pagan europe was better!" thread

When will this role-playing end.
>>
>>961442

>not being able to work out an implied qualifier

dense/10
>>
>>961495
The qualifier doesn't matter you mongoloid sperg.

Even if you gave away money indiscriminately, it wouldn't change it's value.

Plenty of things given away can have value, you're simply just trying to sound like you have higher IQ than double-digits by using quotes from Starship Troopers.
>>
>>961488
Have you actually read the thread?
>>
>>961515
What that anon means is that if you give everyone 1 dollar it would make everyone have te same amount of money which means that relatively everyone is the same as before you gave them the 1 dollar.
So then basically the money would be worthless.
>>
>>961481
Ovid didn't really lament the declining sexual conduct he merely indulged in it. It was the Emperor Augustus who deplored it.
>>
why does virginity matter?
-because people know that women cannot keep their legs closed
-because people know that most men never amount to anything

virginity is the best discriminant for people:
-good women are not tramps
-good men manage to make something of their lives (and, since women are loose by nature, fucking a woman is not so hard (if you do not fuck a woman, you better be good at something else))

naturally, this utopia never occurs:
-women spread their legs chasing their fun, especially through good sex, thanks to the men ready to serve them
-very few men go beyond women
men never amount to anything besides providing entertainment for women, since providing for women is the easiest thing, especially when it comes to giving them gifts.
>>
>>961425
>every single woman on the planet has to be a virgin until she dies, or else she has given away something that has no value.
no, betas think that motherhood is a redemption from slutiness, or non-virginity.
Of course, today, motherhood is delayed by women, if not even disliked, precisely because women want to enjoy the cock carousel for far longer then before, so the motherhood as redemption is replaced by being in a relationship.
Men accept these compromises because they never have the choice when it comes to women and even invent the meme ''our society will continue in the future so it is good that women spread their legs''.
>>
>>960482
whyboner.jpg
>>
>>962321
t. eternal gentleman

Get off of it, lad.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.