[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the scoop on this old guy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: z0auawQq[1].jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
z0auawQq[1].jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
whats the scoop on this old guy
>>
Its nice to hear someone know what they're talking about even as they know nothing about what they're talking about.
>>
Gary Oldman's best role imo
>>
he makes a lot of buddhists buttmad

not really sure why given that he explicitly says "I am not a buddhist" multiple times

given the way he died, is a good example of how anyone can lose their way in life even someone as apparently switched on as him

i started listening to him to relax my nerves
>>
Typical western Buddhists who thinks Buddhism is about LOVE AND PEACE MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>
Stop spamming Mosley threads
>>
File: le hippy weed man xD.jpg (9 KB, 236x252) Image search: [Google]
le hippy weed man xD.jpg
9 KB, 236x252
He considered himself an entertainer, not a philosopher.
>>
>>960124
oh look theyve arrived >>960128

like clockwork
>>
I like him. Shunryu Suzuki liked him. I think he was an intelligent guy with a talent for speaking on eastern spirituality and he probably was one of the most important scholars (probably more influential than D.T Suzuki) in bringing buddhism and hinduism to the west.
>>
>>960278

A great speaker, I aspire to lecture like this guy one day. His introductions to Zen and Taoism are the clearest I have encountered.
>>
>>960133
>NOOOOO NOT THE ELVEEEEESSS!!1!!!!!11
>>
>>960124

He admitted that he wasn't a buddhist, yet he went to great lengths trying to explain the inner workings of sects like Zen in a way that was not very compatible with its actual philosophy and practice, and sometimes subtly attacked established doctrines since he had a hard on for ancient chinese devil-may-care philosophy. Some of the long lectures on Zen are utterly pointless, he overplayed the prevalence of the wise jester stereotype, misinterpreted a few koan stories and is probably the main reason Zen is misinterpreted in the west today

He was an entertaining character however and his introductions to hinduist and general eastern thought, and their contrast to abrahamic religion, are great. he had a lot of knowledge about early chinese taoism and chán and ways to explain it in clear western terms

Overall I like the guy, he was one of a kind. He was criticized by some modern hippie for euthanizing a wounded deer once. I think that was one of the moments he showed true wisdom and compassion. I suspect his alcohol problems were exaggerated
>>
>>959722
I like the way he bases his explanations on science but theorises what the science means or how the science can related to religions philosophy, but not in a shitty preacher way
>>
>>959722
He makes a lot a straw men when he attacks Christianity and isn't the best zen teacher, but I still like his work. Despite his many faults he is probably one of the biggest reasons eastern philosophy found a foothold in the west. Also he's a chill dude to listen too.
>>
>>959722
i like him. one in one of my favorite lectures he attacks modern psychology, arguing that in order for science to work properly, you must be able to issolate variables and then run a test to see if x affects causes y, and that in psychology it is impossible to isolate variables, so it is useless to study psychology as a science. (note this applies to psychology, not neuroscience)
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.