[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Judaic Sects at the Time of Jesus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Russia-patriarca.jpg (5 KB, 132x150) Image search: [Google]
Russia-patriarca.jpg
5 KB, 132x150
I know very low little about them, and I was interested in learning more. From what I understand:

>Pharisees: Very strict adherence to the laws of the Torah, and much more legalistic than spiritual about them. Modern-day Orthodox Rabbinic Judaism is descended from the Pharasaic sect.
>Saducees: Deniers of the general resurrection; I know basically nothing else about them, except for the fact that they together with the Pharisees formed the majority of the Sanhedrin at the time of Jesus. They appear to have been wiped out by the Romans after the great revolt.
>Samaritans: Jews who believed that Mt. Moriah was Mt. Gerizim, near Nablus, and not the Temple Mount as the Jews believe. From what I understand they were considered a separate religion from Judaism by Jesus's time. A small Samaritan community remains today in Nablus, however their numbers are increasingly dwindling to the point that they're encouraging intermarriage with Jews in order to escape inbreeding-induced birth defects
>Essenes: An Apocalyptic sect, who lived in cenobitic communities in the wilderness in preparation for the upcoming apocalypse. We know very little about them, and most of what we do comes from the excavations done at Qumran. It appears that they followed strict cenobitic rules of life in their communities, and some of the scrolls suggests that there were priests in the communities too. They appear to have been wiped out during the Great Revolt.
>Karaites: Basically the Protestants of the time, they denied Sacred Tradition and said that the written Torah should be the only rulebook they should follow. Back then they were mostly contained to Mesopotamia, they continue to the present day in small communities
Christians: People who believed that Jesus was the awaited Messiah and the incarnate Son of God. Formally separated from Judaism during the first century. Continue today as, well, Christians.

How accurate is this, /his/?
>>
File: bad-luck.jpg (43 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
bad-luck.jpg
43 KB, 500x352
This is going to be a good thread
>>
>>959480
Samaritans aren't Jews, and karaites didn't exist yet. Some believe sadduccess are the ancestors of karaim since they both deny the oral Torah.

Calling it tradition isn't quite correct, rabbinical Judaism teaches that on mt. Sinai God gave an oral instruction as well as a written one.
>>
>>959480
>>959488
Also, zealots and sicarii were a thing, I don't fully remember if they were a part of the same group or not.
>>
>>959502
...and idumeans
>>
>>959480
The Pharisees were for all intents and purposes effectively prepared for the destruction of the Temple, they already brought priestly traditions (i.e. washing your hands before eating) to your everyday, outside-the-Temple life.

The Sadducees were the "sola scriptura" Jews before it was cool, Karaites came much much later.

You're forgetting the Zealots, the Disciples of John the Baptist, and others.

Read the Jewish Annotated New Testament, it has essays on everything you could possibly want on pre-Rabbinical Jewish sects, messianic movements other than Jesus', etc.

Remember that the 1st Century is a massive historical clusterfuck, and that Century alone is practically a scholarly specialization on its own.
>>
>Pharisees
>very strict adherence to the laws of the torah
Yea, laws like raping 3 year old girls...
>>
Christians didn't separate from the Israelite religion, they are the continuation of it.
>>
>>959509
The Essenes were also out-of-the-Temple Jews, and ascetics, and supposedly Jesus originated from them.
>>
>>959521
That's not what ketuvot 11b says, jackass.

Virginity is extremely important to Jews. What it says is that if a girl as young as 3 were raped, she would retain her virgin status and it is implied she would be financially compensated as well.
>>
>>959563

Ah, Semites and their virginity. I had a co-worker who was Palestinian once, he said that before marriage they literally have a gynecologist do a pelvic exam to confirm virgin status.
>>
>>959585
Not surprised. I've heard that fake hymens are a hot commodity in Europe now, for Muslim women.
>>
>>959563
Where does it say this in the Torah?
>>
>>959585
Then why are Jewish women so slutty?
>>
>>959595
The Torah talks about having a Virgin on your wedding night.

This is commentary on the question, "what if my wife was raped as a small child? Is she still a virgin?" as it is extremely specific.
>>
>>959480

There's no evidence of Karaites in the 1st century; they crop up a few centuries later.
>>
>>959480
>Zealots: The most vocal opponents of Roman rule in Judea, would go around killing Romans in the name of God
>Sicarii: An extremist splinter group of the Zealots who would use daggers (sicae) to attack Romans and Roman sympathizers, including Jews. Controlled Jerusalem for a brief period before the Romans laid siege and later were the ones to hold out on Masada.
>>
>>959643
So what the Palestinians are doing to the Israelis is the same as what their ancestors did?
>>
>>959624
Where in the Torah does it say that being raped as toddler is permitted?
>>
>>959663
It doesn't, you cuck

That's exactly what ketuvot is saying; it's bad, so she retains her virginity and should get monetarily compensated for what happened.
>>
>>959942
That's not what ketuvot says.
>>
>>959965
Stop reading deliberately misleading translations from unironically antisemitic websites that say it's simply advocating toddler rape.
>>
>>959965
>>960171
I should note that the monetary compensation thing is implied in the statement that it's like getting poked in the eye, she's been injured, and an injury such as getting poked in the eye is deserving of compensation.
>>
>>960190

Is the compensation for the rape itself, or for physical damage created during the rape? Because IIRC, according to Jewish "tort" law, they would compensate for things like good old fashioned injuries to the vagina from normal intercourse between a man and his wife, if it could be proven (admittedly difficult)
>>
>>960426
I believe for the injury itself, it's possible it is for damage to her nether regions but it seems out of place to compare that to the eye-poke; im sure the case could be made that by saying that it's simply an injury that doesn't mean anything in the long run.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.