[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Hannibal just land in Sicily or Southern Italy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: carthage.png (32 KB, 525x775) Image search: [Google]
carthage.png
32 KB, 525x775
Why didn't Hannibal just land in Sicily or Southern Italy? Why did he went north all the way from Iberia, into Gaul and across the Alps? Sure there was an element of surprise but going south would preserve a big chunk of his army. Even only taking Sicily would do a better work than wandering around Italy looking for legions to attack.
>>
Explain that pic, OP

Who drew it? Why?
>>
File: 596.png (35 KB, 750x700) Image search: [Google]
596.png
35 KB, 750x700
>>957061
it's called Historines, look it up
>>
File: 1459434312988.png (177 KB, 824x540) Image search: [Google]
1459434312988.png
177 KB, 824x540
>>957067
THIS

THIS IS NOT OK

NOT OK

NOT OK

PLEASE STOP
>>
OVER THE ALPS PERHAPS
>>
>>957061
Some dude drew a bunch of pictures with a historical theme they all had massive tits
>>
>>957055

Because he was afraid of the Greeks helping Rome, he didn't dare disturbe Neapolis or anything else in Magna Graecia.
>>
>>957137
Greek city-states were already conquered by Rome at the moment, he could've easily used the Greeks as potential allies by proclaiming himself their liberator.
>>
>>957163

but he wanted to destroy all things Roman. A succesful sea invasion means that the path of pillage starts in the rich Greek lands in Sicily.

Not to mention that the Islands off of Sicily were controlled by Communist pirates that attacked any ship no matter what, and the Carthaginians couldn't handle them like the Romans or the Estrucans before them could.
>>
Because he wanted to attack Rome itself, avoiding all armies.

In Sicily he would get bogged down.
>>
>>957179
>A succesful sea invasion means that the path of pillage starts in the rich Greek lands in Sicily

I don't think he would've pissed off the Sicilians that much, especially as large portion of the island used to be controlled by the Carthage not long ago. With some clever propaganda he could've called it a liberation.
>>957188
>Because he wanted to attack Rome itself, avoiding all armies.
Yeah that went perfect

Also with Sicily controlled comes Sicilian grain, and that would at least give him an upper hand in the war for some time.
>>
>>957210
>Yeah that went perfect

He would have faced alot more in southern Italy.
>>
He probably made the right choice.
>>
>>957210

Sicily was so important that it made more shekels than the homeland. Greek people that drove out the cremating cultures that lived there before were also really good at fighting. Better to surprise the Romans.
>>
>>957055
Most of Sicily was taken by Carthage, just not by Hannibal,
as for going over the alps, northen italy was a shitstrom because of the Gauls and he wanted their support
also crossing the alps was quite a daring feat, accomplishing that would be a large boost to his self image, and his styling himself as Herakles.

Keep in mind his goal was NOT the conquest of Rome, his goal was to break them to make up for the humiliating defeat and reparations placed on Carthage after the first Punic war
>>
>>957163
He did that very thing, most of Southern Italy was under his control at the wars height
>>
>>957055

Because the Romans had a pretty significant naval advantage by the Second Punic War, and running straight where they were patrolling most heavily could get real ugly, real quick.
>>
Because at sea he would have been raped by Rome's navy and when he did land he would suffer constant attrition by skirmishes with Roman forces in the southern half of Italy.
>>
File: holy.png (53 KB, 850x800) Image search: [Google]
holy.png
53 KB, 850x800
>>957103
>Holy
>Roman
>Titties
>>
>>957486
This is the correct answer. The other answer up above are pretty stupid honestly.
>>
>>957055
1) they could collect their gallic and spanish allies along the way

2) >>957486
>>
Why didn't he just walk along the coast to Italy?
>>
You know the Romans had a fleet, right?
>>
>>957179
>destroy all things Roman
As in their armies? His plan was more like have the Roman allies desert Rome so it lost the power to confront Carthage
>>
>>957179
>communist pirates
what
>>
>>957055
>>957067
reminds me of that artist who drew history related bondage with personifications of different empires
>>
File: Rome.png (47 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
Rome.png
47 KB, 700x1000
>>957075
What do you mean?
>>
>>957055
>>957067
I honestly don't get this fetish.
>>
>>959304
You don't [get] a fetish. It's retarded to anybody who doesn't have that specific fetsih.
>>
>>959321
Well but not really. I can understand a lot of fetishes I don't have, because they generally are about aesthetics, perversion, or substitutive, but I can't catalogate this one.
>>
>>957055
Because his dad conquered half of Iberia and it was a good base.

Rome had Sicily on lock after the first Punic War. Read Polybius.
>>
File: sleeping buscemi.jpg (70 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
sleeping buscemi.jpg
70 KB, 600x450
>>959298
>Cyprus is desert
As an autist, this, among other mistakes, deeply upsets me
>>
>>959505
canaan and mesopotamia too
>>
>>959574
Or North Africa when it was Rome's granary.
>>
>>957093
I DARE SAY THAT WOULD BE QUITE A FEAT
>>
>>957067
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't for the comically oversized tits.
>>
>>957093
MAYBE HE'LL BRING WITH HIM
AN ARMY OF ELEPHANTS!
>>
>>959351
>artist like personifications of ancient nations/empires/states/organizatons
>artist combines this with giantess and balloon tits
Pretty straight forward.
>>
File: serveimage.png (35 KB, 650x750) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
35 KB, 650x750
I like these.
>>
week ago I saw a personification of the nations during WWII
Poland was a horse
Russia was a bear
you get the idea
>>
>>957055
Hannibal couldn't. That is one of the first historical lessons Mahan discusses in his Influence of Sea Power.
>>
>>961284
That guy draws better wg stuff
>>
>>958120
I remember this.. i think it was posted from deviant art .
>>
>>959579

Or the Sahara, where it was Rome's aquifer and rice bowl.
>>
File: beteestmortepl.jpg (57 KB, 500x691) Image search: [Google]
beteestmortepl.jpg
57 KB, 500x691
>>961383
Was it "la bĂȘte est morte" ? My grandmother had that comic, I loved reading it when i was a kid
It's post-war French propaganda and desu it's still much better than most ww2 material there is today, pretty accurate, honest, and anti-nazi while not being anti-european
great stuff
>>
>>957055
Because he used exclusively iberian and italian troops that rebelled against roman control.

Carthage did not have nor utilize any respectable standing army, but more of a loose budget militia, built from locals of colonies that was previously decimated in the first punic war as a result of their shoddy quality and propped up in the end by spartan mercenaries.

Most of the native berber peoples were not fans of Carthage, nor loyal to hannibal either as we find out as they assist in the battle of carthage.
>>
File: 1459701272268.png (1 MB, 912x905) Image search: [Google]
1459701272268.png
1 MB, 912x905
>>957093
>>960126
>>961028
Excellent
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.