[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All thinking is feeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
All reason is to feel. we reason using what we know. what know through our senses. our senses create a feeling in our minds and that is how we know the world around us, even ourselves. whatever knowledge/reason/logic we build is built upon these feelings. logic and feeling are not contradictory but logic is the result of feeling. the common western trope of telling someone not think with feelings but instead use logic is a sign of lack of understanding of the human mind.

if all we know is by our sense of touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight, then how can reason be done without feeling? everytime we sense something it produces a feeling inside us. this fact is more obvious when we perceive something new for the first time.

prove me wrong!!!!!
>>
bumpity bump
>>
in most of scifi shows and movies, whenever they want to show a race of men with high intelligence, they show them as lacking in emotions. .e.g. the vulcans in star wars and i am sure you nerds are familiar with many such examples. this has always made me wonder. it is not just the nerds that believe that lack of emotions = high intelligence but there are even legitimate scientists that seem to convey this atitude that emotions hinder logical thinking and therefore belong to those with lower intelligence.

lets look at this claim with some logic. it is widely believed by the west that humans are more feeling and emotional and less robotic like out of all the speices on this earth. infact the word 'humanity/humane' also imply that to be human is to have greater emotions and feelings. but then how is it that this same culture could produce two contradictory views. let me explain the contradiction. are humans not the most intelligent species on earth ? then how could being able to feel more emotions and feelings equate to lesser intelligence. this test can also be applied to other animal speices. the dolphins are thought to be extremely intelligent. and guess what, they are also know to express a greater range of emotions than are found among the animal kingdom. when we apply logic to both humans and animals we find that far having emotions correlating with lack of intelligence, being able express more emotions implies greater intelligence.

i am also reminded of this episode in far cry where crichton in cloned into a posible future and a possible past version of his speices. and the future intelligent version is shown as having no emotional feeling what so ever, while the past dumb version is full of emotions and passion. even back then as a young man watching that episode, something did not sit well with me about that. something seemed contradictory. but back then i could not really imagine the kind of corruption that exists in the western mind. i know better now.
>>
breathing carbon monixide. Feel fine. Hear fire alarm beep. Sounds like my alarm clock. Think hey I feel fine its probobly malfuctioning. Decide, no i changed the batteries a month ago should be ok. Leave house. Call fire department. Fire. Not dead because listened to reason. Also its not like feeling isnt involved with reason. feelings are an important part. Like in Casablanka, the guy wants to stay, but he knows she can do better without him so he lets her go against his feelings.
>>
The triune brain model OP, look it up.
>>
>>953568
you have misunderstood what i was saying. the knowledge that one must listen to fire alarms is also based on feeling. since all knowledge is through perception and all perception is through senses and all senses produce a feeling, therefore, everything we know is a feeling. all reason and logic is a feeling.

prove me wrong.
>>
what about things we can know without recourse to experience, like "no unmarried man is married"
>>
>>955257
it is all perdiction isnt it. we perdict the feelings based on the best knowledge/feelings we have. such guesstimation is also the foundation of everyday human relations. since we can never really know the feelings of another's mind.

i have made the claim that all thinking is feeling. therefore, whatever you think an unmarried man would do to guesstimate the life of a married man, would be done with feelings.
>>
>>955317
what
>>
like (at least) one century late dude
>>
>>955336
now i am not so sure what you are asking. because if you are asking what i think that you are asking then i am stunned at your possible question. can you be more clear?
>>
>>955350
what are you saying? how is what i said old or new. if it is right then it is right. if you are saying that people have known this for a long time then can you answer whey this >>950295 exists in western society, specially among the worshipers of science.
>>
>>955359
i don't understand what you said at all. could you rephrase?
>>
>implying that sensual perception = emotions
>>
>>950295
About the Vulcanians, here's video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgNZ9aTEwc

Antonio Damasio's neuroscientific work on the subject is quoted from 32:53.

tl;dr - damage to the ventromedial prefrontal cortex makes people free from feels, and they also lose the ability to make a simple decision like being gifted a pen or a wallet without changing their mind repeatedly, because they can't value shit anymore
>>
>>956173
*Vulcans
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.