[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You can do what you want but you can not will what you want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
>You can do what you want but you can not will what you want
What did he mean by this?
>>
He means that you can do what you want but you can not will what you want.
>>
You can do what you want to do, but you don't have the power to choose what you want to do.
>>
>>948469
Why not?
>>
>>948475
You don't have the power to choose what you desire, free will is an illusion
>>
>>948482
Depends how you define free will. I can want to do something, but choose not to do it.
>>
>>948507
That's because you desire to do that one thing rather than the other, though you desire both.

Example:
>You want a lot of money.
>You can easily steal that money.
>You don't steal, since you would get in trouble.

Here your desire for freedom and a normal life exceedes your desire of money. You didn't choose that you desire freedom more than a chance to get rich, though.
>>
>>948439
It means that whatever you believe to rationally want is probably just an expression of your subconscious desires that are outside of your control.
>>
>>948439
Consider the many tasks which you have failed to accomplish, that would have benefited you.

Doing what you wish to do is very hard, it can be done to an extent, but we are not free. If you think you are free, and you embrace this illusionary freedom, you will fail, and be confused. For an example, lets take the ''teach a man to fish'' thing. Most people would rather take the fish, then learn how to fish, if you catch my meaning. This is confirmed by our biology. External forces influence you from day one. They mold what is ''you'', and they will limit you, as will the genetic factors. You are not free, but you can try and attain control to an extent.
>>
You control what you do, you don't control what you want to do.
>>
>>948453
/thread.

Seriously, I know it's easy to get lost in the gibberish of some quotes but this is literally just a standard sentence...

And I've responded to my quota of bait today.
>>
File: Kant Death Mask Tartu.jpg (219 KB, 871x580) Image search: [Google]
Kant Death Mask Tartu.jpg
219 KB, 871x580
>>948439

Have you read Kant?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how much you'll understand Schopenhauer's exact meaning.
>>
>>948439
You can do things you want, but not everything you want to happen, will happen. There are some things that you can attempt, that turn out to be impossible as well.
>>
>>948439
That you cannot do everything you will to do.
>>
Think of the things you don't want. For example, I never want pineapple on pizza. However many people order it. It would be great if I could magically decide to want pineapple pizza. But I can't. I want plain pepperoni. I can act in or not in accordance wih that desire. I can't change it though.
>>
>>955270
*with
>>
>>948469
>>948482
>>948747
>>948786
>>948832
>>955270

These. To grasp why, you really need to delve into the majority of his metaphysics and epistemology; pic related contains a bit.

>>948801
>>954856
>>954858

Not really his meaning here.
>>
>>948439
disregard what he says, he was the elliot rogers of his time.
>>
When your parents told you that you could be an astronaut, schop calls them a fucking liar.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.