[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were the French never considered Germanic when Charlemagne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 30
File: CharlemagneTsm.jpg (22 KB, 448x335) Image search: [Google]
CharlemagneTsm.jpg
22 KB, 448x335
Why were the French never considered Germanic when Charlemagne Ruled over more of France then Germany, and according to 23 and me their blood is too close to tell much of a difference?
>>
>>947763
But the French are considered Germanic
>>
They don't speak a Germanic language.

Also most of Germany was originally Celtic, that's why they are so genetically similar.
>>
>>947798
Hitler thought the English were closer relatives of Germany then France, and they didn't speak the same language either.
>>
>>948079

English is closer to german than french regardless of norman influences
>>
>>947763
he's talking about the franks in wallonia, the low countries, luxembourg and around the rhine

not the so-called "franks"/frenchies in gaul who always spoke a form of latin and were latinized
>>
Charlemagne's empire stqrted from France, the germanics were really different thqn the French, in culture, origins, language and religion. Charlemagne btfoing the germanics doesn't make French germanics people.
>>
>>948131
No. In the 7th century Franks were Germanic through and through.
>>
>>948134
>people living in the kingdom of the Franks were all Franks.
laughinglemon.jpg

When Franks came, they were a few tens of thousands, Gauls were millions, Clovis encouraged race mixing, so except maybe for some nobles that didn't mix, people living there were Celtic with a bunch of german blood at best.
>>
>>948079
English is a germanic language, anglo-saxon is a germanic ethnicity, despite being genetically mostly celtic
>>
Because Germanic is a language group and French is a Latin language you dumb fuck.

The real question is why are English considered Germanic.
>>
>>948234
>The real question is why are English considered Germanic.
That's not a real question at all.
>>
>>948234
>The real question is why are English considered Germanic.

It's well known why it's considered Germanic, it has Germanic sentence structure and grammar, it just borrows a lot of words from other languages, which is why English is so convoluted and difficult to learn.
>>
>>947798
>Also most of Germany was originally Celtic,

No it wasn't
>>
>>948234
Because they speak a germanic language
>>
File: Celts.png (46 KB, 322x431) Image search: [Google]
Celts.png
46 KB, 322x431
>>948255
>>
>>948244
>>948250
>>948260
English is much closer to French than to German, not only in vocabulary, spelling, and phonetics, but precisely in syntax, where French has radically different word order from German, and English follows the French rules. As for grammar any Germanic element in English has been thoroughly simplified away.

>English
>difficult to learn
lol what
>>
Charlemagne came from the Germanic half of Austrasia, the only Germanic region of France, which was otherwise 7/8th Latin as it is now.
>>
>>948267
>German = Germanic
Stop.

English syntax is almost identical to Norwegian anyway, it's from viking influence, not French.

http://www.pagef30.com/2008/08/why-norwegian-is-easiest-language-for.html
>>
>>948279
>viking influence, not French
Let's see, one of those never conquered England aside from loosely ruling the Northeastern part of it for about a generation and left almost no visible mark on the language, while the other became England's official language for the rest of the Middle Ages and had a massive impact on the language. But yeah I'm sure that while all this French vocabulary, spelling, and phonetics came from French, the French syntax somehow came from Viking instead.

I love how bongs always cry "NO WE'RE NOT FILTHY SMELLY FROGS, WE'RE GLORIOUS ARYAN VIKING MASTER RACE HAIL ODIN". Never fails.
>>
File: tumblr_m3ett3G2tv1r7qno4o1_500.jpg (52 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3ett3G2tv1r7qno4o1_500.jpg
52 KB, 500x355
>>948290
Old Norse had a much deeper influence on English than French.

We have pronouns from Old Norse 'they, them, their', inflectional suffixes '-en', the past participle of strong verbs. The syntax too, I have shown, where it differs from West Germanic languages agrees with North Germanic. There's nothing comparable from French, just loanwords, which are also completely overblown and generally never over ~10% of a given text.
>>
>>948391
>influence
>pronouns
>inflectional
>suffixes
>past
>participle
>verbs
>syntax
>differs
>Germanic
>languages
>agrees
>Germanic
>comparable
>just
>completely
>generally
>percent
>text
>>
>>948267
English is a germanic language with many french words in it
>>
>>948438
Good single sample. Now go get a representative one of the entire language.
>>
>>948472
>single
>sample
>representative
>entire
>language
>>
>>948494
And by French you mean Latin. The predominance of Latin terms in the scientific vocubalary derives from the Latin-boner of Medieval scholars.
>>
>>948472

Here you go

I've read a lot of bullshit in this thread.
France is mainly celtic because of the huge gaulish heritage.
Then, the second largest ethnicity are Germanic from the various invasions (Franks, Burgundians, Wisigoths, etc) and then you have some greco-latin admixture in the south. Their impact on gauls was mostly cultural.
>>
Why are there so many people on /his/ that spout and defend their uneducated moronic fucking opinions?
>>
>>948494
You're pretty dumb. Do you think that you're proving anything, the way you're going about it?
Also, I only have written/am writing words from Old English/Norse. I'm guessing you can do the same with words from French?

>>948524
The only bullshit is your own. Pull your head out of your ass.
>>
>>948512
All those words come from French, not Latin.
>>
>>948529
>The only bullshit is your own. Pull your head out of your ass.

When discussing between adults, you're supposed to use arguments, babby boy.
>>
>>948529
I'm proving that practically every English word longer than one syllable is French or Latin, and that you can't avoid using them if you want to say anything more complicated than "I'm hungry, I eat", and even then you can't avoid sounding like a retarded peasant.
>>
>>948524
>France is mainly celtic
What?

French is Latin, there's only a few hundred Gallic words. Calling French Celtic is even dumber than calling English Germanic.
>>
>>948524
>Their impact on gauls was mostly cultural.
So why are Southern French so damn Dark?
>>
File: average briton.jpg (183 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
average briton.jpg
183 KB, 2048x1536
>>948544
English immigrants.
>>
>>948543

what?
France =/= French
I'm talking about the people, not the language. Of course French is a latin language.
>>
>>948533
>you're supposed to use arguments
Your argument is shit. English is a Romance language because it's absurdly large and niche lexicon has absorbed a ridiculous number of foreign words? Write me a sentence--a full one, subject, verb, object--that only uses French words. You should be able to do this. It's a Romance language, after all. Not a Germanic one.

>>948540
You didn't prove shit. Go do the same thing I outlined above.
>>
>>948549
Celtic, Germanic, and Latin are language groups, those word don't have any other meanings.
>>
>>948553
Pathetic.
>>
>>948544

hmmmmmmmmm sun? And greco-latin admixture as I said.
When the Greeks settled in southern France, in Marseille particularly, there was already celts living there.

> so damn Dark

You have tons of pale skinned southern French, lad.
>>
>>948553
Absolutely embarrassing.
>>
>>948557
>>948562
Well? Are you going to do it?
>>
>>948554

That's why I talked about Gauls, Germanic invaders and greco-latin, you idiot. You're needlessly trying to appear smart.
>>
>>947763
>Why were the French never considered Germanic
Because they aren't Germanic, they're Latin. Lombards and visigoths don't make Spain and Italy Germanic, why would France be Germanic.
>>
>>948569
Because the Franks were a germanic tribe
>>
>>948569

Culturally gallo-roman with some german influence.
Ethnically mostly celtic (gauls), germanic (several invadors) and roman (italic).
>>
>>948566
Just doubly performed, unobservant peasant.
>>
>>948585
>Just doubly performed, unobservant peasant.
What was just doubly performed?
>>
>>948568
What the fuck are you even trying to say you stupid shit?

France is not Germanic because French is not a Germanic language. Stop babbling nonsense.
>>
>>948585
>ly
>>
>>948585
>un
>>
>>948591

I'm talking about the ethnic composition of France, you fucking retard, I don't even understand why I'm even supposed to explain it.

>France is not Germanic because French is not a Germanic language

what? Mexicans speak Spanish so they're not ethnically Aztec/mayas?
>>
>>948600
>>948601
Well by that standard...
>l
>y
>u
>n
>>
>>947763

I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MAN
>>
>>948604
What does "ethnic" mean according to you?

>Mexicans speak Spanish so they're not ethnically Aztec/mayas?
Of course Mexicans aren't ethnically Aztec you retard, what the fuck.
>>
>>948554
>those word don't have any other meanings.

kill yourself
>>
>>948611
>What does "ethnic" mean according to you?

People who share a similar gene pool?

You know there is a difference between ethnic and linguistic groups right?
>>
>>948616
Let me guess, you're one of those retards who have constructed a fictional "Germanic" identity for themselves and got so emotionally attached to it that now you'd have a mental breakdown if you realised no such thing exists?
>>
>>948621

>germanic people never existed
spotted the cultural marxist
>>
>>948619
Just fucking look it up in a dictionary, here I'll do it for you:

>ethnicity
>the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

If you mean race just say race, but even then you're not making any sense.
>>
>>948623
Spotted the 14/88th pure Aryan German-American with only about 10% nigger blood.
>>
>>948625

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other based on common language, ancestral, social, cultural, or national experiences.[1][2] Unlike most other social groups, ethnicity is primarily an inherited status. Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language and/or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, dressing style, art, and physical appearance.

Ethnic groups, derived from the same historical founder population, often continue to speak related languages and share a similar gene pool.

Find a better dictionary you retard.
>>
>>948628

lel no, i'm mostly of gaulish background.
>>
>>948634
>a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language and/or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, dressing style, art, and physical appearance
Right and according to you French people share all this with Icelandic people.

Just stop posting, indefinitely.
>>
>>948635
Ah yes because of your Gaulish culture, language, religion, mythology, rituals, cuisine, dressing style, art...
>>
>>948636
>Right and according to you French people share all this with Icelandic people.

I have never said or implied that, can you even read? You're definitely the most retarded poster i've seen on this board.
>>
File: Germanic tribes.png (10 KB, 537x376) Image search: [Google]
Germanic tribes.png
10 KB, 537x376
>>948262
That's only south Germany. The northern half, along with Jutland, was the original homeland of proto-Germanic tribes.
>>
>>948643

Gaulish ethnicity, French culture.
>>
>>948649
>ethnicity without culture
So... nothing at all?
>>
>>948652

A genetic background. Ever heard of that?

>ethnicity doesn't exist without culture

Fucking retarded, once again.
>>
>>948660
So race? Stop trying to change the meaning of words because you're too much of a pussy to say what you mean.

There is no Celtic race you retard. And if there was French people wouldn't be it, French people are primarily descendant from the people who lived in Gaul long before the Celts came from Central Europe and conquered it around 800 BC.
>>
>>948549
>I'm talking about the people, not the language.
The people are Latin too. bar a few minorities. France is a Latin country.

>but muh genes
There's no such thing as celtic or latin genes, those are cultural terms. We aren't talking about haplogroups.
>>
>>948585
Neither of those sentences met the standards he laid out for you: subject-verb-object. One of them was only one word, anyhow.
Try harder, bro.
>>
>>948669
Nigga you can't even say "subject-verb-object" with any Germanic words, and yet I had no trouble conveying all the disdain I have for English peasants using exclusively French words.
>>
>>948590
He's trying to imply that both of the earlier replies were sentences with no Germanic rootwords, even though they didn't meet the criteria for your challenge and one was a single-word response.
Hell, you can tell that he's thinking hard about it to avoid using articles in his sentences, as English articles are entirely Germanic.
>>
>>948665

There is no gaulish race you idiot.
If you consider there is a white/caucasian race the Gauls are just one ethnicity among others that composes it.

>There is no Celtic race you retard

No shit, Sherlock.

>>948666
>The people are Latin too

Not really, there are more people with celtic and germanic admixture than latin.

>We aren't talking about haplogroups.

I am.
>>
>>948690

This
>>
>>948665
You need to kill yourself, you're a fucking moron
>>
File: 1447085737861.png (91 KB, 208x235) Image search: [Google]
1447085737861.png
91 KB, 208x235
>>948665

cringed
>>
>>947763
Don't talk to all British and Germans that are Butt hurt and Anti-french :

The Franks were a tribe living near the rhine in what we call today lorraine/Luxembourg,Belgium. Theses territories were part of the Gauls and are the limits of the " Natural borders ".

The Franks help the Gauls to defend against the Invasion and to break the influence of Rome. The Franks converted to Christianity in the 480~500 and then the kingdom of the Frank, also called francie or France. The kingdom of the Frank began to be Christian and to use the Roman law. After one century, the frank do not constitute anymore a tribe and they race mixed. With the Charlemagne, the frank conquered the German and converted them to Christianity and civilization

>>948086
English =

30 % directly from the french
30 % latin that comes from the French invasion ( 90 % of the normans were french )

Your language is more Latin than Germanic and more french that German... Just sayin' Eternal Anglo
>>
The French usually are descendants of Celtic people. Except those in the North that are descendant from Vikings and those in the East that are actually Germans.

The Italians are descendants of the Lombards, on the other hand (except those from the South, that are descendants of the Normans).
>>
>>948710
Charlemagne only conquered Saxony. East Francia (Germany) was a very important part of his father's realm.
>>
>>948728

You can add Bavaria, Northern Italy (Lombardy) and the Spanish march though
>>
File: viper kill yourself.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
viper kill yourself.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>948681
>>948690
>>948696
>>948706
>>948708

Dear God you're a sad person.
>>
>>948746
lmao you autistic as fuck son
>>
That feel when French and I have to see posts like this teenaged retard ITT.

So sorry you have to see this etc.
>>
>>948746
how pathetic can one get
>>
>>948751
I'll never be autistic enough to shoop out pathetic samefagging on paint.
>>
File: le mad.png (97 KB, 780x537) Image search: [Google]
le mad.png
97 KB, 780x537
>>948746

You're into humiliation, aren't you?
>>
>>948763
Only autistic enough to sperg out on the internet and show evryone how much of a moron you are?
>>
>>948770
>>948773
OK this is getting too depressing for me. You're officially the biggest faggot I have ever encountered on 4chan, congratulations.
>>
>>948776
Well autismo if you're feeling depressed, consider suicide
>>
File: retard.png (58 KB, 619x224) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
58 KB, 619x224
>>948746
If someone tells you that you look like a horse, punch him in the face
If an other person tells you that you look like a horse tell him he's an asshole
If a third person tells you that you look like a horse, it's time to buy yourself a saddle
>>
>>948776

don't forget the suicide letter lad
>>
This thread is some next level autism, holy fuck.
>>
>>948086
As someone who studied both German and French, I can tell you that English is way closer from French than from German

German is one of the Germanic languages that's the farthest from English
Dutch and Norwegian are probably the closest
>>
German inferiority complex.
>>
>>949224
>As someone who studied both German and French, I can tell you that English is way closer from French than from German
As someone who studied French, German and linguistics, you're wrong. English is a solidly germanic language. There's not even a debate.
>>
>>948681
>I am.
Then say what you're fucking talking about and stop using cultural terms for genetics. Don't expect people to know that by "celtic" you actually meant "R1B1A" or some shit.
>>
>>949224
>As someone who studied both German and French, I can tell you that English is way closer from French than from German

Well then you must have fingering your asshole all day because English is a Germanic language through and through.
>>
>>947763
Because the french are a mixing pot of multiple european ethnicities
>>
File: ggg.jpg (153 KB, 1012x551) Image search: [Google]
ggg.jpg
153 KB, 1012x551
>>949308
>>949320
You're two cretins
I never denied that English is a Germanic language
Still doesnt change the fact that French, with it's shittons of tranparent words, is closer from English that German, that does not only have very few transparent words but also a completly different structure (even moreso than French).
As I said, if you want a Germanic language really close to English, look at Norwegian.
>>
>23 and me

Honestly are there people on 4chan dumb enough to fall for that trap?
>>
File: 409px-Teutonicwomen.jpg (61 KB, 409x599) Image search: [Google]
409px-Teutonicwomen.jpg
61 KB, 409x599
Verdun is a german city. Only germanophobes will deny this.
>>
File: ver.png (128 KB, 645x880) Image search: [Google]
ver.png
128 KB, 645x880
>>949382
They sure tried their hardest to get it
>>
File: Petain0.jpg (93 KB, 493x678) Image search: [Google]
Petain0.jpg
93 KB, 493x678
>>949382
>mfw filthy krauts try to take Verdun
>>
>>947763
Because Karolus Magnus was Dutch, not French
>>
>>949443
Have you ever heard the story of Charlemagne, empereur des francs?
>>
>>948151
Well Clovis was a fockin mong. Occitan best language
>>
>>948267
Wait I was under the impression that England's grammar comes from norse/saxon, is that accurate?
>>
>>949453
Wew lad please kill yourself
t. Average /his/ poster
>>
>>948512
It makes sense for all the learned elite to speak one language. Latin is tremendously efficient, and back in the day it was just seen as "speaking noble"
>>
The french are a mix of celtic, germanic and italic people with a latin language and culture
>>
File: germaniens.png (2 MB, 1830x3212) Image search: [Google]
germaniens.png
2 MB, 1830x3212
>>949382
>>949391
Hella fuckin' ep*c my vee pol bros!!
>>
File: POWERRANKINGS.png (176 KB, 900x1800) Image search: [Google]
POWERRANKINGS.png
176 KB, 900x1800
>>949480
Top kek as us chan m8s say LEL
>>
>>949799
Not even a Germanaboo but the author of the picture had to be the most asspained Turk in existence.
>>
>>949808
>KEKBABS
>NOT BEING REMOVED

Lmao what a KEK amirite.
Imagine if PrussiaBall won WW1, there would be no cucks, SJWs, Feminazis to ruin our ethics in gaming journalism and Serbia would remove all the kekbab!
>>
>>949821
>mfw you could power up a missile with all that butthurt
>>
>>949799
You know those montage vidoes that try way too hard to be funny and are just loud and obnoxious
That's what that image is, in word form somehow
Good job autismo
>>
File: Vlad Tepes.jpg (169 KB, 392x483) Image search: [Google]
Vlad Tepes.jpg
169 KB, 392x483
>tfw the kebabs haven't been removed from this board
>>
File: anime dude.jpg (48 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
anime dude.jpg
48 KB, 480x352
>>949832
>>949837
>Keks Getting Rekt
What are you, a bunch of autistic cuckolds? Git Gud Or Be Salty. Lmao cucks.
>>
File: 1431307640120.jpg (47 KB, 345x383) Image search: [Google]
1431307640120.jpg
47 KB, 345x383
>all the muslim rectal agony ITT
>>
PIC related, ultimate Feminazi killers
>>
>>949877
Why are you so upset?
>>
>>948079
>Hitler thought
great argument there. A meth junkie """"Thought"""""
>>
File: anglo saxons.jpg (104 KB, 640x872) Image search: [Google]
anglo saxons.jpg
104 KB, 640x872
>>948290
>Let's see, one of those never conquered England aside from loosely ruling the Northeastern part of it for about a generation and left almost no visible mark on the language

http://skemman.is/stream/get/1946/17234/40268/1/Old_Norse_Influence_in_Modern_English.pdf

Sorry m8, but this phenomenon is well-known. This paper reports 400 borrowings, but according to the History of English podcast there are up to 800.

http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/

The interesting thing about the viking borrowings is that they replaced the native Germanic English words because the vikings and the natives interacted with each other so much. They settled upon common words, which made sense, because both the invaders and the natives had a common background (being part of the proto-Germanic tree). During the Danelaw, the invaders commonly bred with the native population.

When the Normans invaded, it was different. They assumed the role of nobility and ruler, not necessarily of an integrated population. The peasants bred with themselves, and the nobles with themselves. Instead of the replacement effect seen during the Danelaw, the Norman era saw a parallel language structure emerge. Suddenly, you've got farm animals called cow and pig (Norse/Germanic) and beef/pork (French)? Why is that? Because the nobility took it from the peasants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublet_(linguistics)

The English has host and guest, word and verb, cattle and chattel, I'm sure you can read through that list. A vocabulary developed independently between the peasants and the nobility during that age precisely because neither interacted or intermarried with each other. It's part of the reason why English is rich with alternate synonyms, and why poetry in English was considered to be the best during the late Middle Ages.

Now the question is-- why are French so terrible at modern English when Germans (and Scandinavians, for that matter) learn it effortlessly? The ball is in your court, frog.
>>
>>950030
>This paper reports 400 borrowings, but according to the History of English podcast there are up to 800.

Huehuehue
Meanwhile, there are thousands and thousands of French words in English language
Literally one in every sentence at the very least
You can count hundreds of them in this thread only, and dozens in your post alone
>>
>>950030
>Now the question is-- why are French so terrible at modern English
We are not. It's a meme consistent with french-bashing.
>>
File: Phrygian cap.png (339 KB, 342x484) Image search: [Google]
Phrygian cap.png
339 KB, 342x484
>>950271

No shit, captain. If you read the rest of my post, you would realize that they were all parallel nouns

The grammar structure of English is Germanic, with a wide variety of verbs and nouns available due to the Norman conquest.

I don't disparage the influence of French, but it's absolutely not the same grammatical structure. That's why Germans and Norwegians can learn English faster than French and Belgians.

>>950292

http://www.ef.edu/epi/

I appreciate that you, personally, have learnt English well enough to fuck around with us and shitpost on 4chan, but that's not the general case for your countrymen.

If you look at the world ranking, it's as thus:

01 Sweden
02 Netherlands
03 Denmark
04 Norway
05 Finland
06 Slovenia
07 Estonia
08 Luxembourg
09 Poland
10 Austria
11 Germany
12 Singapore
13 Portugal
14 Malaysia
15 Argentina
16 Romania
17 Belgium
18 Czech Republic
19 Switzerland
20 India
21 Hungary
22 Latvia
23 Spain
24 Dominican Republic
25 Slovakia
26 Lithuania
27 South Korea
28 Italy
29 Vietnam
30 Japan
31 Taiwan
32 Indonesia
33 Hong Kong
34 Ukraine
35 Peru
36 Chile
37 France

What you see there is a linguistic tree, rather than your own effort learning the language. Swedes, Dutch, Danes, Norwegians, and Germans have an easy time learning English. French and Spanish-language speakers? Not so much. That's fine with me because I know a French-speaker who spends time learning English is truly committed to the ideals of a Republic, unlike a fascist German
>>
>>950313
>39% of the french speak english enough to maintain a conversation
>wow the french cant learn english
>>
>>950357

>70% of the Danish speak English enough to maintain a conversation

Again, I'm absolutely blessed that I can speak with you, a francophone, and communicate ideas and concepts right here

But I wouldn't risk a 40% chance of talking to someone in Paris on the street asking for directions. I would feel much more comfortable asking someone in Copenhagen
>>
>>950371
>dieu et mon droit
>>
>>950313
Cultural cuckoldery explains a lot about this ranking though
Scandicucks won't dub, even if it means English will be the most spoken language on their national TV due to heavy US hegemony over entertainment
Germans have some pride (at least until this year) and will dub, thus not making it madatory to know English in order to watch TV like in Cuckdinavia and the Cuckerlands
>>
>>950426

Yes, I'm sure that's a factor. But Germany and France dub on roughly the same rate
>>
>>950441
ITT: Butthurt frogs put their fingers in their ears and scream in the face of overwhelming evidence that English if more Germanic than French
>>
The Franks were Germanic, but became culturally Latin soon on.
>>
>>948267
That's untrue though. In common talk, Germanic words outnumber Latin ones by a large amount. And in structure, it's a Germanic language.
>>
>>948438
We are also discussing a field of study, so it makes since that we'd have more Latin. Now go talk with your mother and think about your words.
>>
File: 1437736410000.jpg (109 KB, 425x375) Image search: [Google]
1437736410000.jpg
109 KB, 425x375
>>948267
>English closer to German in phonetics

WEW LAD
>>
>>951427
>>951443
There are shittons of basic words of French origin though
Forest, river, mountain, people, city, country, place, person, color, point, number, use...

Face it, Germanic words only outnumber French ones because 100% of the structure words in a sentence (pronouns, prepositions...etc) are Germanic
If you go only by adjectives/nouns/verbs (aka the words that give the its sense to a sentence), it's easily 50/50 between Romance and Germanic
>>
>>948267
Even Slavic languages are closer to German in phonetics than English is.
>>
>>951464
French*
>>
>>948604
They're Latin American :^)
>>
>>951492
You day that like it means that those words are unimportant. They are very important.
Nor does vocabulary have much to do with one's language family.
>>
>>951496
Source?
>>
>>951558
*say that like
>>
File: 1459947499762.png (14 KB, 399x391) Image search: [Google]
1459947499762.png
14 KB, 399x391
>people are actually debating that English is a Germanic language

Let's go through the five major characteristics of Germanic languages

>Grimm's Law + Verner's Law
Check

>Strong stress on the first syllable of a word
Check

>Germanic Umlaut
While not as common as in other Germanic languages, it is still present (mouse/mice, tell/told/, old/elder, and many more)

Check

>Large numbers of vowel qualities
Check

>Verb second (V2) word order
Less than others, but still here
"What has happened here?", "Who was here today?", "Where will we go?", "When did he go to the stadium?", "Why would this happen to us now?", and "How could these things get here?" and others.

Check

It's the continuation of the tongue of the Anglo-Saxons, a Germanic Tribe ffs, vocabulary doesn't change that.
>>
>>951492
>Face it, Germanic words only outnumber French ones because the most important words necessary to build a sentence are German
Is this your basis for the argument that English should be considered a Romance language?
>>
>>947786
Franks were considered germanics, not frenchs
>>
>>947763
language
>>
>>948675

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>947763
Franks=Germanic.
French=not Germanic

I think there was like 100 thousand Franks that actually settled in France, while the population of it was at 2-3 millions or something, so it's pretty negligible difference.
>>
>>951560
Write the word "Jude" and have a German, a Czech and an American pronounce it. There's your source.
>>
>>953776

American here, I pronounce it yude and not gude go wash u face
>>
>>949398
>>949877

https://vine.co/v/ijDgZ5J3YTZ
>>
>>947763

Because they don't speak a Germanic language, they speak what was originally a vulgar local dialect of Latin.
>>
>>953931
saved
>>
>>953776

That's a one way street though, because while the Czech is going to be able to pronounce German words (of course he is, all the people who created Czech spelling and grammer rules at a formal level could also speak German,) the German is probably not going to be able to reciprocate and pronounce words like Řeka unless he has prior knowlege of czech.
>>
>>953776
writing ≠ phonetics

Americans are perfectly capable of pronouncing /judÉ™/.
>>
>>948267
Something about Frisia!
>>
>>947763
bump
>>
>>947763
Because they didn't speak a Germanic language. The Nazis did consider the French Germanic, or rather "Aryan" though.
>>
>>947763
Easy. Having some of both (Germanic and Latin) they chose to remain Latin due to their language. Who could blame them? Would you rather be seen as descendant of the single most glorious and relevant state to have ever existed oooor be seen as shit-eating, swamp-dwelling snow niggers?
>>
>>947763
"French" is not a race.
>>
They were black
>>
>>949877
Prussia? What did they do?
>>
>>948706
>>948708
Nice rebuttals
>>
File: 1460225691536.jpg (70 KB, 431x432) Image search: [Google]
1460225691536.jpg
70 KB, 431x432
>people ITT think that you can be Germanic without any Germanic cultural attributes as if there's this big German Gene® that you get that means you're in the club

>people think that language classification is nothing but vocabulary

I want /his/ to do better.
>>
>>947763
>2016
>people still think racial origin means anything
if you ever thing x ethnicity is better than y ethnicity, just remember that the Italians are descended from the Romans, and that genes and ethnicity means nothing compared to social and political policy
>>
>>949800
>Britain
>rekt frogcucks

Kwa
>>
>>949224
>As someone who studied both German and French
>from
Apparently you never studied Engrish
>>
>>962782
>if you ever thing x ethnicity is better than y ethnicity, just remember that the Italians are descended from the Romans
What do you mean by this, that the people who were responsible for the first golden age of Europe also were the ones responsible for the second one ? Yep actually that's a good point I agree, good job showing the Latin race is superior

also this >>960961
>>
>>963450
Modern Italy sucks ass though
>>
>>947798
>Germany was originally Celtic.
No it wasn't. Celtic peoples were mostly spread out over France, Spain, Parts of Portugal and portions of Northern Italy and the entirety of the British Isles.

>>948086
Wrong.
>>
File: doggerland-large.jpg (175 KB, 600x553) Image search: [Google]
doggerland-large.jpg
175 KB, 600x553
>>962643
>>962643
Retard, where do you think the term "indo-germanic" comes from
>>
>>966412
>where do you think the term "indo-germanic" comes from
from germans wanting to feel relevant after they formed an empire.

no one associated germanic tribes with germans before that
>>
>>947763
>according to 23 and me
>>
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_Restoration
>Literally a white flag
>>
>>947763
As a French person I feel that French ethnicity is almost impossible to pinpoint.
French nationality was defined by being a subject of the King and later by revolutionnary and republican mythos.

We're the original melting pot, with western, southern and northern euro influences.

Frenchness has been more of an idea than a gene thing for 15 centuries.

Things got weird since the 20th century but venturing in /pol/ territory would be off topic here.
>>
>>968561
My point being: arguing about french ethnicity is pretty pointless, I've never seen a similar thread amount to anything, and they've been common occurences since for ever.
>>
>>964249

Prove it and go fuck yourself
>>
Isn't France super diverse, historically?

As in, people in Marseille didn't speak the same language as people in Paris?

From what I gather:

- People from Brittany came from Britain
- People from Normandy came from Denmark
- People from Northeastern France are Dutch
- People from Eastern France are Germans (in German clay, might I add)
- People from the South are more tanned than other Frenchs and usually spoke a different language
- People from Corsica are Italians in Italian clay

So, aren't the French-French the people from that area of Paris and so on?
>>
>>968607
Nah most people were there, but sure they might have mixed with the Franks or other neighbours especially in Provence because of intense mediterranean trading.
But France's borders are political and historic and do not delimitate ethnicity.

Every region had its language or dialect or patois, which was taken over by Paris French via military service and later via school and mandatory education.

That's why it's been a nation state for so long, and every regime kept putting effort into uniting those people.
>>
>>968620
And I forgot to add that's why it is one of the most centralised countries.

>So, aren't the French-French the people from that area of Paris and so on?
Only in the sense that what came to define French culture was introduced as a product of Parisian hegemony. Regions still have different accents and way of doing things, i'd say the most obvious distinctions would be North/Atlantic/Southwest/Southeast/East
>>
>>968583
Are you retarded?
>>
Let's list some great historical characters that were 100% French

-Charlemagne
-William the Conqueror
-Richard Lionheart
-Napoleon Bonaparte
>>
>>968607
>- People from Brittany came from Britain
Nope, other way around
>- People from Normandy came from Denmark
Some nords indeed arrived in 911, but there were already people living there and they interbred
>- People from Northeastern France are Dutch
The extreme north, yeah
>- People from Eastern France are Germans (in German clay, might I add)
Yes
>- People from the South are more tanned than other Frenchs and usually spoke a different language
The tanned part is wrong (outside of migrants)
For the different language that's rue, but it goes back to middle age
>- People from Corsica are Italians in Italian clay
Yes and no
They've been separated from Italy for so long that they became their own thing (kinda like Portuguese compared to Spariards)
>>
>>968989
>German clay
Its not.
>>
File: 1100.jpg (127 KB, 728x593) Image search: [Google]
1100.jpg
127 KB, 728x593
>>969001
Yes it was
Like most of Eastern France
Germans have been bad at war for most of history, so France kept stealing their clay until recently

Pic related, the black line is France's current Eastern border
Everything in orange within that has been stolen from Germans since 1100
>>
>>968989
>Nope, other way around
It's not though. Brittany was founded by British refugees fleeing the English invasion.
>>
>>969032
You're full retard
Britrany was already celtic during Roman times
There were celts in Brittany before there were in Britain
Like always with islands close from the continent, the island was populated by people who were from the continent, not the other way around
>>
>>969024
>stolen
>legitimately defeat an enemy nation and annex their territory
>Frenchify the peoples in those lands
>"stolen"
>>
>>968979
I know you're trolling but I'd say William and Richard actually were pretty French. Napoleon was culturally French, as well as Corsican, though his family was Italian. I'd say Charlemagne was more German than anything.
>>
>>969083

dude get out of this board

Bretons are not ancient celts from Armorique. Their language is not related to ancient gaulish. They speak a language totally related to Cornish and Welsh, because yes they are Britons refugees that fled the saxon invasion.
>>
>>948151
I guess Romans were mainly Germanic then
>>
>>948234
>Because Germanic is a language group and English is a Germanic language you dumb fuck.
>>
>>947786
No. They dont speak a Germanic language, and ethnically they're still Gauls.

>>947763
Because the Franks assimilated into Romanized Gallic culture and not the other way around.
>>
File: what's all this then.png (8 KB, 102x102) Image search: [Google]
what's all this then.png
8 KB, 102x102
>>968523
>from germans wanting to feel relevant after they formed an empire
>Germans
>empire
>>
>>968945

Why? Because I'm asking you to provide evidence for your point of view?
>>
>>966412
Where does the term come from?
Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.