[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there still American POW's in Laos and Vietnam? Pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
Are there still American POW's in Laos and Vietnam?

Pic related: Satellite photo of a ‘Walking K’ sign in a rice field in northern Laos by a US Satellite in 1988.
>>
no, Rambo took the last ones home in the 80s
>>
Could Mozart still be alive?
>>
File: 5141881898_765853b4cd_o.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2013) Image search: [Google]
5141881898_765853b4cd_o.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2013
>>947321

A top American intelligence official said today that two sets of large symbols etched into the ground in Laos in 1973 and 1988 were almost certainly human-made signs intended to send a message. But the official said experts had not been able to prove or disprove that they were distress signals from stranded American prisoners of war.

In the first case, the figures "1973" or "1573" with a "TH" or "TA" were spotted, apparently by satellite, gouged into a field in the Plain of Jars in May and June 1973, after all American prisoners were reported returned. In January 1988, Central Intelligence Agency surveillance picked up a "USA" dug into a rice field near Sam Neua, along with what was possibly a "K" made of rice stalks.

Experts said the could not rule out that these were attempts to display coded symbols that American pilots had been taught to use to attract attention if they were captured.

"These symbols were clearly intended to send a signal to someone above, and we cannot explain them today," said the official, Duane Andrews, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence. He was testifying before the Senate Select Committee on P.O.W.-M.I.A. Affairs at the start of two days of hearings, some in closed session, on intelligence-gathering and covert operations involving missing Americans.
>>
There is no way there are any American POWs still in Vietnam. Western tourists travel all over Vietnam today. Someone would probably notice some 60 year old American being used for slave labor in a rice field, that shit would stick out.
>>
>>947321
If there were any POW left after the Vietnam war, they are most certainly dead now. The backlash today would be too great to risk keeping them alive and in captivity.
>>
>>947897
>tourists have access to prisons
>>
>>947897

The contention is that they remain as prisoners and slave labor, not wondering vagabonds. Mostly air loses over North Vietnam and Laos, there were 1,627 cases of MIAs never concluded, somewhere around 300 cases in which there is reason to believe they survived their crashes. It's mostly conspiracy theory though, spurred by those satellite images.
>>
>>951521
I have always been interested by this conspiracy theory at the prospect of their still being POWs held in south east Asia. What i cant wrap my head around is why they would still be alive today? Maybe i could see some being kept in the 70s and 80s, but it makes no sense for them to still be kept prisoner today. The smart choice would be to have killed any remaining POWs years ago so that there isnt a chance of international backlash if they were ever discovered. Is the only "evidence" we have are satellite pictures from the 80s that look like messages in rice fields?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.