[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this area, known as "the Fertile crescent," historically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 603fertilecrescent_large.png (24 KB, 800x556) Image search: [Google]
603fertilecrescent_large.png
24 KB, 800x556
Is this area, known as "the Fertile crescent," historically significant? I'm a Syrian American, so I thought it would be interesting to learn more about it
>>
yeah, significant would be a proper word
>>
That's where history started.
It was out of need, convenience and a good context that the basics of human society were born. There, in the fertile crescent.
The first villages, towns, cities.
A rudimentally organized society with roles divided by gender, age, physical phenotypes.
The beggining of the economies: the idea of trading things for one another, and later on, creating money to make that more convenient.
The greatest discovery ever, agriculture, and how to stop being a retarded mongrel nomad.
The first governments, the first laws, the first police. An army to protect the city.
Cities that, along time, due to geographical and genetic traits, develop their own culture.
And when they realize they're like other cities, a nation is formed.
So many things that we still have to this day come from that time.
I daresay, if you genuinely want to understand today's world, why things are the way they are, the fertile crescent, at the time it was significant, as you say it, is 90% of the deal.
>>
>>947097
Nah
>>
>>947305
actually you're referring to the vedic aryans but nice try mehmuhammadan
>>
>>947097
only creepy religions
>>
>>947317
pretty much this. strays from the Tao. would not recommend.
>>
>>947097
It was the crossroads and origin of a lot of world trade, religion, agriculture and urbanization, and so on and so forth. It would handily make the list for most historically significant areas in world history, I doubt anyone would seriously contest that.
>>
>>947097
>muh heritage
>>
>>947097
>is it historically significant

Jesus
>>
>>947551
is one of the important people who lived there, among others
>>
>>947315
What the fuck are you babbling about.
>>
>>947655
I was just baffled by OP but yeah youre right
>>
File: sea raiding peoples.jpg (106 KB, 606x379) Image search: [Google]
sea raiding peoples.jpg
106 KB, 606x379
>>947097
The first cities to develop there were peaceful farming villages. They set up shop near rivers but not on top of them because flood risks were a major issue for the three rivers.

The Egyptians managed to control of the Nile's ebb and flow, and created some impressive cities early on. Meanwhile around the Euphrates and Tigris river, the cities set up there came under attack from humans who had not taken up the plough and sickle.

The nomads, hunters, and gatherers found it easy to take some or all the food from these farmers because the villages were not mobile. Over time, the farmers in Mesopotamia - meaning 'the land between two rivers' - moved into swamps to better protect themselves from raiders.

Violent conflicts were inevitable. Even if all the farming civilizations were peaceful upon their foundation, violence would emerge from them. It would either rise from within during some kind of cataclysm, or as an adaptation to outside pressures like raiders or another desperate farming civilization.

Cities to look into would be Ur, Uruk, and Memphis. Being of Syrian descent, you might be interested to look into the city/civilization of Ebla. They had contact with the Sumerians, Akkadians, Egyptians, and others.

If you ever feel inexplicably hostile towards a Sardinian person... it's because their long time ancestor raped and pillaged yours for a century. They were called the 'Sea People'. Of course, this is just a theory but more and more historians find that the Nuragic people were either the main contender or starter of the Sea Peoples' incursion into the coastlines of Greece, Anatolia, the Holy Land, and Egypt
>>
>>947097
>>947893
Egypt is not part of the fertile crescent.
>>
>>947876
levantine shitskins have never achieved anything. the indus valley civilization is the actual thing you described
>>
>>948231
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture
>>
>>947097
>I'm a Syrian American,

You have to go back
>>
>>948227
>what is the nile?
>>
>>947305
Spotted the evolutionist.

>>947097
Yes OP. It's the cradle of civilization.

Noah's ark landed on Ararat in modern-day Turkey.
>>
>>948227
>denile
>>
>>948389
>being this desperate for a (You)

here's something for your III/X b8us. Try harder next time.
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>>948395
0/10 you're not even trying
>>
>>948231
You mean the civilization that was destroyed about the same time the Aryans immigrated?
>>
>>947893

>The Egyptians managed to control of the Nile's ebb and flow
Err, no they fucking didn't. They knew irrigation, they couldn't control the fucking river. They were constantly getting dicked by bad inundations.

>moved into swamps to better protect themselves from raiders
VAST, VAST oversimplification based on marsh arab sumerian loanwords. Possible emeigre population into the marshes after the fall of URIII, but nothing like that level of systematic shit. Also lingua franca at that point was Akkadian, and we know the city states were all pretty
much still around during the IsinLarsa Period.

> Even if all the farming civilizations were peaceful upon their foundation
PFFFFFFFFFFFFT no

>during some sort of catyclasm
ie. wanting your neighbours shit.

>Sardinians = sea peoples
Totally not substantiated, sea peoples almost certainly various people amalgamated into localised barbarians

Source - im a sumerologist with a minor in egyptology

OP go read Thorkild Jacobsen. I wrote my dissertation on his work. Essentially argues there was primitive democracy in very early sumer. Then read The Uruk World System, and stuff about the Lagash Umma border conflict, UR III, Sargon of akkad. Neo-assyrians are also fun.
>>
>>948833
meme's
>>
>>947097
It was of the places where civilization started.

Others also include the Indus Valley, and certain places in South-America.

These came to be around the same time.

But what you mean by "historically significant" is hard to see, other than that.
>>
>>948872
>South-America.
>not the Yellow River
Seriously, anon
>>
>>948895
Sure that too.

No need to get your tits in a vice, I really only have a fleeting knowledge of early world history tbqh.
>>
File: This_a40081_5703098.jpg (104 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
This_a40081_5703098.jpg
104 KB, 680x989
>>948231
>>
File: bernardini 1.jpg (62 KB, 441x709) Image search: [Google]
bernardini 1.jpg
62 KB, 441x709
>>947893
Sardinians themselves integrated pheonicians and adopted pehonician culture for centuries so I don't see why modern people would feel hostile towards them if even phoenicians, who were much closer in time to the sea people invasions, came en mass in Sardinia and integrated peacefuly.
>>
It makes me angry that this guy >>948231 could actually be serious about this.
>>
File: I DONT LIKE IT.png (26 KB, 146x145) Image search: [Google]
I DONT LIKE IT.png
26 KB, 146x145
>>948872
>south-america
In what alternate universe have I ended up?
>>
>>947097
>is the fertile crescent historically significant
Nigga this is literal middle school tier shit, how the fuck do you not know anything about the origin zone of all European and Middle Eastern civilizations?

>American
never mind, my question's already answered
>>
>>947097
>Syrian American
>American
>American education

not even once
>>
>>948231
WE
>>
>>949757

Civilization was developed independently from the rest of the world in both Mexico and Peru. Deal with with.
>>
>>947097
If you mean if it is necessary to know about it in order to understand the current state of the world, no.

It is one of the most interesting topics regardless, being the cradle of civilization.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.