[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netherlands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (16 KB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 2560x1707
Dutch history thread. How did such a small country create such an impressive trading empire? Could they have ever been a legitimate competitor to Britain's empire building? Could the Netherlands become a European hegemon in the future? Any and all Dutch related history welcome.
>>
tulips
>>
Flemish brain drain
>>
>>946325
Capitalism, free trade, de facto freedom of speech and religion, high literacy rates, high labor productivity, high human capital, insane preindustrial urbanization rates, female work force, high age of marriage, innovative shipbuilding, a bunch of great leaders and traders.

I'd say the above mentioned are both symptoms and effects of a good economy and once the ball got rolling it kept going until Napoleon and the industrial revolution.
>>
File: HotDutchwoman.jpg (123 KB, 736x954) Image search: [Google]
HotDutchwoman.jpg
123 KB, 736x954
>>946325

Sexy women which I would bang all the time.
>>
Everybody got jealous of our wealth, be it that bishop from Münster, the Brits, the Spanjards, the French...
>>
>>946325
>Could they have ever been a legitimate competitor to Britain's empire building?
Maybe, if they continued their pro-French policy and focused on the Navy rather than wasting resources on the land forces too. That said the French still wanted the Southern Netherlands and it went against the Dutch interests so it's hard to imagine.

>Could the Netherlands become a European hegemon in the future?
Mostly no, their population base is too small, they could've been a great power for longer, but that's it.
>>
>>946325

Not a chance. Too small to compete or survive independently, being neighbors of France, Britain and the HRE.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.